Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By kawekakid
  • 3 Post By stagstalker
  • 2 Post By 25/08 IMP
  • 2 Post By Blaser
  • 2 Post By XR500
  • 1 Post By PillowDribbler

Thread: Waipakahi river

Waipakahi river

Spent 2 days up river .dont expect to drive it anytime soon its in flood as also wash off from melting snow.Plenty of sign and they still roaring 4 am call this morning then another around 7 am
    If you walking the river make sure you have some poles or stick to lean on .Stones are slippery and river is swift
    Arsed up twice 1 on way up and a 2nd one on the way out this morning .Lit a fire last night with a heavy frost coming to warm up .
    Seen 1 deer on edge of road yesturday afternoon on way in
    stagstalker and 20 Bore like this.

Have been frozen to the bone making a three hour walk out of there with the river elevated and sleet/snow coming down one September. Boy we were happy to get back to the truck that day!
    Nathan F, Blisters and 25/08 IMP like this.

I can be a cold bloody place we had snow in the river in one December.
    But on a nice day that river is beautiful

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Swanny and stagstalker like this.

How's the access nowadays? I heard the road was closed and the camp site above the river was a no-go.

Really deep hole off the end of the road, you may loose a truck crossing the river

I was up there over the weekend, road access is still all open, the tar seal road is the best Ive sent in in 30 years, most of the pot holes have been filled.
    Seen a few deer, only one small stag came in to my roars, few stags he-haw calling but no single calls. All wallows I visited hadn't been used for quite a few days.
    Plenty of cyclone damage from Gabriel though, some massive old beech trees just smashed, roots and all.
    Has anyone seen the big flash hard frame tent camp set up by the trust about 2 hrs up river? Asume its for 'glampers', in prime hunting country too.
    stagstalker and XR500 like this.

That structure as you describe must have been given a concession by DOC to build? Guess DOC may be getting a slice of the pie when business up and running? Interesting as this saga develops - first many of us were concerned with maintaining long term public access to the river since Helisika have been granted a 15 yr contract by the trust if I read correctly to operate from the road site? Good times I had hunting in the Kaimanawa's from the road end early 80's. Never hunted the private land prior to the park boundary entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunteast View Post
    That structure as you describe must have been given a concession by DOC to build? Guess DOC may be getting a slice of the pie when business up and running? Interesting as this saga develops - first many of us were concerned with maintaining long term public access to the river since Helisika have been granted a 15 yr contract by the trust if I read correctly to operate from the road site? Good times I had hunting in the Kaimanawa's from the road end early 80's. Never hunted the private land prior to the park boundary entry.
    If its on the True left bank somewhere along the first 7-8km upstream of the road access, it'll be on Trust land, not our public land.
    Shearer and Maxx like this.

If you go back to 15 Nov 2022 on Ivan William Kane Facebook page pictures of foundation there.
    Blaser likes this.

https://www.kaa.co.nz/ride-to-paradise/

Due to open in the summer.

I'm guessing they will try close road this winter. As they won't want trampers/hunters wandering past a private secluded glamping spot by the river.