Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Wapiti ballot

Quote Originally Posted by Tahrzan View Post
    Upper glaisnock 2nd period
    Nice, that was my first choice along with many others I would imagine

Got light river 3 period. Probably won't take it up as everything I've read says pretty much reds only. Considering it's one of the most expensive blocks to get to and 3 period just for reds there's better alternatives closer and cheaper to home. Unless anyone can confirm it's a likely wap block? The foundation don't class it as a "core" area so hunting aloud till mid Feb sorta says they don't think much of it either. Pity as it looks a great place to go.

When was the last time you heard of a 50" bull coming out of any of the blocks? Go for it I say, it's not like the blocks have fences around them, gotta be in it to win it and just being in those far away parts of fiordland is an experience in itself.
    We had wapiti river first period year before last, unfortunately my knee shit itself on day two and we had to get choppered back out, will give it another go maybe next year.
    veitnamcam, 199p and 300AAC like this.

MSL
    Yeah, I'd head in regardless. Might even find a decent red head if there's no waps
    300AAC likes this.

I recon there is a very good chance that a 50" bull will be taken in the next few years.
    You have a way better chance now than back in the 90s.
    Good luck to all.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Lugar burn 3rd period, any info much appreciated, cheers!!!

Also info on transport into block, finding out the other party or sharing a ride with nearby parties etc, flick me a pm
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

We got stillwater 3rd but don't think I'll be going now with a buggered knee. Boy's will be into it though

Quote Originally Posted by Pongo12 View Post
    We got stillwater 3rd but don't think I'll be going now with a buggered knee. Boy's will be into it though
    That's rough mate, knees are bastard bloody things and it pays to look after them, fiordland is a pretty unforgiving place if you're not in tip top shape. I was only about three months after a knee reconstruction when we went in, I felt good at the time but did have a wee niggle in the back of my mind if I was doing the right thing, sure enough, coming down off Henry pass on day two and she let go in pretty spectacular fashion, ended up taking a pretty decent dive and took the best part of the rest of the daye just to make it down to the deadwood lagoon where the chopper could get in to extract us, felt like a right bloody knob and put a bit of a downer on @sambnz's first excursion into wapiti country too. You live and you learn eh?
    Pongo12 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    That's rough mate, knees are bastard bloody things and it pays to look after them, fiordland is a pretty unforgiving place if you're not in tip top shape. I was only about three months after a knee reconstruction when we went in, I felt good at the time but did have a wee niggle in the back of my mind if I was doing the right thing, sure enough, coming down off Henry pass on day two and she let go in pretty spectacular fashion, ended up taking a pretty decent dive and took the best part of the rest of the daye just to make it down to the deadwood lagoon where the chopper could get in to extract us, felt like a right bloody knob and put a bit of a downer on @sambnz's first excursion into wapiti country too. You live and you learn eh?
    Deadwood lagoon is a swampy nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Deadwood lagoon is a swampy nightmare.
    The whole walk all the way up there is a swampy nightmare haha

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Shit thats no bloody good! Yea it's not worth it aye. It'd be just my luck something like that will happen. I've got other commitments also, I told the boys I'll have another go 2019 I'm gutted but that's how it goes.

Missed out 3rd time in a row now. Next year I'm jumping in PerazziSC3's group, he has all the luck!