Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Wapiti hunters. Who was better?

No comparrison in my opinion...

The Old dogs were the Best.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Raymond Tinsley did the hard yards.
    Think Graeme Sinclair would agree. Committed . Left the Hutt Valley to move to Hokitika so he could be closer to his wapiti grounds.
    tetawa, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

the guys who managed a decent head in the 80s posibly had the hardest time animal numbers wise.... shikes it was lean going everywhere.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the guys who managed a decent head in the 80s posibly had the hardest time animal numbers wise.... shikes it was lean going everywhere.
    you are not wrong Mickey Duck -when I was a Ranger in Waioeka Gorge in 80,s most fine spring evenings 6-8 helicopters heading up and down gorge - two freezers at Wairata in middle of gorge and one at Matawai not to mention the heli boys also had chiller trucks moving around - deer were scarce
    Micky Duck, Maxx, Rees and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    you are not wrong Mickey Duck -when I was a Ranger in Waioeka Gorge in 80,s most fine spring evenings 6-8 helicopters heading up and down gorge - two freezers at Wairata in middle of gorge and one at Matawai not to mention the heli boys also had chiller trucks moving around - deer were scarce
    In some ways those days were a good time as it was a serious challenge to even see a deer let alone shoot it. Deer were highly valued and alot of effort was put in to get one by everyone that was chasing them. Today's attitude towards deer in some circles is a worry, a fair few young hunters nowadays treat them as a pest to be shot and left to rot.
    CATLINS HUNTER and Ned like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    I don't know what the Wapiti licenses cost but I found one of my grandfather's Otago Acclimatisation Society licenses dated 1927 to shoot one Red stag in the Matukituki. The price was 5 Pounds which was a lot of money back then.
    My Dad showed me this on the weekend. His Grandfathers letter of employment as manager of Siberia station, 100 years and small change ago. Note the cowboy @ 30 shillings/week - a pound was 20 shillings, so 5 pounds was nearly a months wages.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    A lot of people have believed that game animals were introduced here for the sport and enjoyment of the 'common man'. From the posts above this one it is pretty clear that only the well healed could enjoy 'sport' in the best trophy areas

I think there was definitely a bit of both. My great grandfather was a farm labourer for hire in the Rangwahia/Apiti area. He was actively involved in releasing the red deer in the area, and within a relatively short period of time, In hunting them too. Like all things you always have a benefit in having access too money and a licence fee would have ben seen as a restrictive management tool to prevent early over harvest. Also those early guys would have seen much value in being locals and able to offer a guiding and hospitality service/ earn some income, from tourist hunters.
    No matter what the original intent was should not take away form the culture that quickly developed of a sport for everyman.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    My Dad showed me this on the weekend. His Grandfathers letter of employment as manager of Siberia station, 100 years and small change ago. Note the cowboy @ 30 shillings/week - a pound was 20 shillings, so 5 pounds was nearly a months wages.
    I think the first wapiti fees were 10 pounds