Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Are we eating the right bits ?

Okay I'll bite (ha)

What would you say would be the best way to make a palatable method of eating the bone broth. Just boil it up and use it in a casserole?

So technically a steak with the silver skin left on should be better for you. And pig trotters should be sold as a health product. I love trotters.
    Overkill is still dead.

Yeah, good stuff.

It's nothing novel; people have been doing it for thousands of years. In addition to making use of bones, hunters have eaten eyeballs, the brain - and other organs - in addition to muscle meat.

Part of the reason a meat heavy diet is linked to poor health (in Western society) is that we often give the cold shoulder to any part of an animal that doesn't look like a steak.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Browning View Post
    I question your "fit and proper" status friend. Its making me gag just thinking about that
    That is a rather 'prudish' comment surly Mr Browning ? There is nothing in the Arms Code that restricts the number of women in our lives. What is more, most blokes wouldn't gag at the prospect of a threesome.
    Steve123 likes this.
    'Bother' said Pooh, as he chambered another round ... Wong Far King Way

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Okay I'll bite (ha)

What would you say would be the best way to make a palatable method of eating the bone broth. Just boil it up and use it in a casserole?
    Sinew has one type of Collagen and bones another, so a bone broth alone won't do it all. That is why I have made a combination brew. I put two litres of water into the pressure cooker with the sinew and cracked leg bones of one spiker. The longer it is cooked down the better the collagen will be hydrolysed. This will not produce a perfect product like the commercial stuff made with enzymes but is a lot cheaper than $90 for a months supply. It is not at all unpalatable, the jelly is much stiffer than the jelly your mum made you for desert, but not unpleasant or slimy. Because it is so high in protein and moisture it will be adored by bacteria, even in the fridge so best to pour it out into a rectangular pie dish whilst warm, let it set in the fridge and slice into cubes and freeze them - they need to be separated and sat on a surface that they wont stick to while freezing.
    Once you have your frozen cubes they can be added to meat dishes, thawed and added to breakfast cereal, popped into a drink at night - whatever. Man Food
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    So technically a steak with the silver skin left on should be better for you. And pig trotters should be sold as a health product. I love trotters.
    Technically yes. However steak cooking is fast and does not 'break down' the collagen. Better to trim the steak and keep the silver skin aside to be cooked along with the bones an sinew.
    Trotters are excellent and should be $100 kilo

Trotters and pig skin I don't eat...I have seen the shit they walk and roll in...clean it up as much as you like but cooked pig shit is still pig shit.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Trotters and pig skin I don't eat...I have seen the shit they walk and roll in...clean it up as much as you like but cooked pig shit is still pig shit.
    Leviticus 11 ?

The best venison stew/casserole comes from the shin fillet and neck with all the sinew. its excellent and the best part is any left over will be venison pie the next day.

sweet glutinous meat with a little blue or cream cheese warped in crunchy butter.
    R93 and Moa Hunter like this.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools
    and the guidance of wise men” Sir Douglas Bader.