Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Red
  • 7 Post By Red
  • 2 Post By sako75

Thread: Whanganui Kapara Excursion

Red

Whanganui Kapara Excursion

Well I'm off on my first deer hunt. First multiday hunt as well. Going to Kapara block in wangas for 4 days. See what happens. By myself so if nothing else I'll have some photos of hills and trees to post on Wednesday.

Till then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.

Good luck
    VIVA LA HOWA

Good luck Red

Red
    Back out. a plan only survives first contact

My plan was to go to the end of Rawhitiroa road, then through a paper road (epero road, along pines stream) down the Whenuakura river between the Kapara and Tarere DOC blocks, to take a look at a hut that is on the topo map but not on DOC's. then come back up the same way i went down.

But the plan changed as soon as i got out of the car actually. I talked to the farmer who i was going to take a shortcut over and he said it would be easier to go in through a different route (Matewhetu rd) then down quad track and past a few huts. Sounds good.

Met a guy and his teenage son at the top of the quad track who i walked down with. they were going to ride motorbikes and were just waiting for grandad to come back up from pig hunting on the quad. talked to them a lot about the area on the way to the first hut. and then cofees at the hut while waiting for grandad.

Name:  1 (Medium).JPG
Views: 714
Size:  154.0 KB
    1st Hut (Beehive)

then another guy turned up who was a possum trapper so more coffees and looking at maps and they were all tring to recall this hut i wanted to go to.. Grandad turned up and once i talked with him he said 'Thats the Barbary hut.' then took one look at me and said.. 'you dont want to go there alone..' i could tell he wasnt full of shit, he had a look of concern on his face. so i decided to follow the whenuakura as far as pines stream and then have a look around. i left the 1st hut wich may be called 'Beehive' and followed the whenuakura

Name:  IMG_0049 (Medium).JPG
Views: 640
Size:  289.3 KB

past a couple more huts ill post in the hut photos thread,

past heaps of beehives all the way down,

Name:  IMG_0109 (Medium).JPG
Views: 662
Size:  213.3 KB

the track was reasonably easy to follow. sometimes some backtracking was needed to pick it up. but then it got to the stage where i was shimmying across a high papa cliff and even my toehold was on a 45 degree angle and i knew right there my trip had just changed from a hunt to an armed tramp. i knew i was carrying way to much stuff, but most of it was out of interest.. new binos to try out.. dads old gps to figure out.. slr camera with extra lens.. exra water etc.. so i knew i wasnt carrying out an animal back this way. my reasoning for the heavy pack was 'ill just go slower..' bullshit, it just hurts more.

i got to the river cossing where the bridge was on the topo and there were two things i noticed. one was the bridge was missing..

Name:  IMG_0064 (Medium).JPG
Views: 737
Size:  103.9 KB

and the other was the 50m drop to the river.. on google earth it looked like the river just beached up against the hill.. ok time for a rest then.. had a nap under a tree and woke up to a snort over the cliff further down and went to investigate finding some goats who showed me how to get down. crossed the river and climbed up the otherside. even this was pretty dogdy with pack and gun, inching up a sheer grass bank. arrived at my destination and took a quick look around and saw plenty of old pig rooting , so i set up tent up the hill a bit downwind and staked out the hill for before dusk. plenty of goats trapsing through but no game so at dark i called it a night. heard what sounded like a goat and a pig having a fight during the night. otherwise slept like a log.

woke up to the tuis and and a good fog.

Name:  IMG_0086 (Medium).JPG
Views: 616
Size:  69.7 KB

sat up on the hill and nothing arrived so once the fog burned off i walked around and seen the chimneys left after the first settlers in the 20's and then hippies in the 60's tried to make a go of the place.

Name:  IMG_0087 (Medium).JPG
Views: 581
Size:  249.7 KB

ignoring the mobs of goats wandering round the place.

Name:  IMG_0097 (Medium).JPG
Views: 590
Size:  218.1 KB

decided that any longer would just turn into camping, i left about lunch time to go back to the 1st hut and stay the night there. had to make two trips down that bank down to the river its a pretty good climb with some weight on you. i did a bit of goat control for DOC on the way back to test out the new rifle (happy as, drunkfish!) and all shots on target. made it back to the 1st hut and the possum trapper was still there as his car had shit itself and his girlfriend was going to pick him up in 3 more days so i made myself lighter and gave him my food and he was on coffee duty. stayed the night and talked shit, learnt a bit more history on the area (his missus was the daughter of one of the hippies) and he gave me the heads up on where to go next time. continued the last 3k hike uphill back to the carpark and out.

pretty happy overall, what i really wanted to do was just go out and have a walk, use my gear & learn some lessons... so mission acomplished i think.

basic newbie lessons learned.:

1. look at your knife every 100 metres. then you would have only had to of gone back 100m to find it.
    2. look behind you often. then you would have seen the junction you past and not wondered which way you came from on the way back through.
    3. bring duct tape.
    4. high vis is awesome. but not around beehives.
    5. if im going back there, bring a mate.

Cheers, Red
    veitnamcam, Dundee, Gibo and 4 others like this.

Cool report Red. Nice looking area.

Cool report cheers for posting.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good on you Red. At least you were out there doing it.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Good one Red......

Great report,any reasoning for not checking out that hut on your own?
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

ebf
    Good one, very nice looking area.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

you write a good story Red

The only time you need your knife is to gut something or around camp. Hopefully a different knife for camp. Keep your knife in the pack till you need it

4. high vis is awesome. but not around beehives. they probably thought you were a hippy flower
    kiwi39 and Red like this.

Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Great report,any reasoning for not checking out that hut on your own?
    Just took grandad on his word, (he did say 'I do know one guy who who made it' haha) and after going halfway down and seeing the gorges and taking into account my virgin legs, i didn't think I would make it out on time. (Without rushing, making stupid mistakes).

speaking of stupid mistakes... When I left home for wangas at about 5am on Sunday I stopped to check for something and a cop pulled up and asked if I had seen anyone on the road, 'na only been driving for 2 mins' I said, thinking he was looking for a hitchhiker. 2 more minutes up the road there was a van stopped in the middle of the road, I slowly passed the cop and someone talking and there was some poor bugger starfished out with no leg and I realised I was driving over bits of bumper. Couldn't get that picture out of my head for a while, but thought well, that's what happens when someone's not carefull. Sometimes it's not your fault, but with four little kids I should at least minimise the risk level sometimes it'll keep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shit did he get run over?
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Shit did he get run over?
    yea, drunk driver.

Driver in court - news - taranaki-daily-news | Stuff.co.nz