Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: What am I doing wrong???

Quote Originally Posted by paremata View Post
    Have you jacked up a hunt with any of the guys offering on this thread?
    Am I the only one here smelling a rat? Just saying.
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NEO View Post
    Do you have proper boots with hard soles? Going down slope is about how you balance yourself. My wife has same issue when we go hiking. Because your calf and ankle are weak, even you have muscles back there but those muscles are not fit for job. Try to do halfway jump. good luck
    I have la sportiva entry level boots

Quote Originally Posted by gilly View Post
    Am I the only one here smelling a rat? Just saying.
    Where? I dont work for GC, calm down.
    Or do you mean someone is going to lure me into the bush and have their wicked way with me???
    Moa Hunter and Chur Bay like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DCN808T View Post
    Where? I dont work for GC, calm down.
    Or do you mean someone is going to lure me into the bush and have their wicked way with me???
    Strange reply mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I would walk straight past the cold sour flats in the photo. The only time I would expect to see deer there would be in the last five minutes of light and that would be a dumb spiker just kicked out by mum.
    If you post up the location we can advise where we would look. At this time of year the deer will be on higher scrub / grass faces. Deer are quieter and easier to hunt in the evening so if you can get to a good ridge top ( just off the top) glassing spot two hours before dark it is almost impossible to not see deer at present in the scrubby matagouri faces and screes but dont glass the open, glass the scrubby edges of the open and little openings on ridges. Deer dont like stepping out of the bush directly into the open if they can help it. They would rather transition through scrub and move out once they are quite sure its safe and only in the last half hour of light.
    So would bush stalking be more successful in winter with snow up on them thar hills?

Have you taken anyone up on their offer of a hunt yet? Or a you just taking the piss?
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Have you taken anyone up on their offer of a hunt yet? Or a you just taking the piss?
    Well, I got home yesterday, and today its has been bucketing down, so no. I am yet to go out with any of the kindly persons who offered their assistance. But I have contacted abovementioned Samaritans and hope to arrange something soon.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Well, I got home yesterday, and today its has been bucketing down, so no. I am yet to go out with any of the kindly persons who offered their assistance. But I have contacted abovementioned Samaritans and hope to arrange something soon.
    I look forward to your trip report.
    DCN808T likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    I spent a fair bit of time in a local valley over spring, seen no deer but did find sign a few times. Haven't been out last 3 weeks due to other commitments and hear on the grapevine that another local shot 2 spikers last weekend in that very valley. I'm still working towards my fist deer, have got goats and hares but not a deer.
    I was learning about getting close to animals, and getting fitter, on a farm near Little River when DOC up and mustered all the feral goats. It certainly helps practicing on goats. After maiming one, i learnt to take me time and calm down before taking aim. A valuable lesson i feel

I was learning about getting close to animals, and getting fitter, on a farm near Little River when DOC up and mustered all the feral goats. It certainly helps practicing on goats. After maiming one, i learnt to take me time and calm down before taking aim. A valuable lesson i feel
    Jesus Christ…really!!!

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    What time did you get to that spot?

Did you walk up the river with the wind at your back?

Did you walk right through that area before climbing up into your spot?

Your going to have to go out a hell of alot more than 7 times in order to realistically stand a chance in getting your first Deer alone. Good news is there are more Deer around now than ever before.that dosn't mean that your not going to have to earn them,its just statisically more likely you will get one if you join the dots.
    Every trip out, is time not spent on the couch, and every trip out, I hope i learn something. But, i sure still have a bit to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    There is a spot in the North Island that is almost an exact match to this view

Just over the river from Roaring Stag hut in the Tararuas.
    Are there any deer there, whats a ferry crossing cost these days???

Jesus Christ…really!!!
    Yup. Really. Did you not know that?
    Dont know how you got into murdering furry woodland creatures but for me it started recently, and with a recurve bow. So glad to have learnt it in a controlled environment rather than not being able to find the animal after fucking up. So if i can point that obvious lesson out to someone that might not know it, I am quite glad to take your ridicule. Remember, not everyone is as experienced as you are. Ill be sure to tag you in any future trip reports that might come from me picking up other hunter's trash. Wonder how they learnt to hunt...

It wasn't DOC, it was ECAN.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    DCN808T likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    It wasn't DOC, it was ECAN.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    My apologies to DOC then. I recall i was told it was Ecan by the farmer aswell. Ooops. Sorry if i misled anyone