Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: What constitutes a trophy???

A trophy to me consists of a number of things not only a head on the wall but the whole story in how it got there. Where it was taken from, what it was like to eat, process of mounting it etc (I’m a fan of doing my own euro mounts).

Good friend of mine in England has a trophy room full of heads from 40 years of stalking. He once showed me his collection of euro mounted roe deer heads and described each of the types from different parts of the UK. Really interesting to see the different formations and sizes from different areas. He has heads which are trophies from a particular area that would be unremarkable in another. He also has heads that remind him of great stalks, or outings with good friends, his son, or son’s son. He has some spectacular gold medal trophies, but his most treasured heads remind him of something he holds dear.

My euro mount heads of roe and muntjac deer are not trophy sized, but have something interesting about each. Great curl on muntjac antlers, or heavy pearling on roe heads for example.

I’m sure there are collections here which show typical formations from specific areas too?