Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stug

Thread: What do you do ?

What do you do ?

Your hunting in relatively thick bush chasing Reds and you hear the "mew" "Mew " call of a hind .You stop and for the life of you you cant see her .She doesnt stop but keeps up with the "Mew" " Mew" .My question is
    1) does this call mean she can see you or she cant see you ,but heard you and wants to know what you are or what?
    2) What do you do .Do you answer with your own "Mew" or stand still and wait her out or what ?
    Happened last trip and she was only 20-30 mtrs from me but I couldnt spot her I tried being silent and waiting her out but think after about 15-20 "mews" Im fairly certain she just glided away

I would have thought she wasn't alarmed, because she would have barked if she was. I probably would have mewed back and seen what happened.
    sako75 likes this.

Normally you have disturb them and they haven't made out what you are ,also there noise can carry so you think they are in a spot when then are further to 1 side or lower down or higher up
    Two of us where chasing a deer and pin point the spot we thought she was but she was further to the right buy 20 metre

not alarmed, they will bark and move off if they have sensed or heard you, but don't know if you are friend or foe, the mew is usually deer talking among themselves, I have heard it a lot mainly on the open tops deer, hind mewing to fawn and vice versa. I have stopped a lot of deer in their tracks by giving a mew when you put them up in the bush, fawns, hinds and stags.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTY View Post
    not alarmed, they will bark and move off if they have sensed or heard you, but don't know if you are friend or foe, the mew is usually deer talking among themselves, I have heard it a lot mainly on the open tops deer, hind mewing to fawn and vice versa. I have stopped a lot of deer in their tracks by giving a mew when you put them up in the bush, fawns, hinds and stags.
    A little "meh meh" can be great on the sika, I've shot 2 out of 3 by stopping them with that call.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

I had this happen only once as it worked out I had got between a hind and fawn, I only worked it out after about 15" when she cut out of a tounge of bush onto a creek bed when I came out I looked up the creek to see her and down the creek to see the fawn, didn't have the heart to shoot either

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    A little "meh meh" can be great on the sika, I've shot 2 out of 3 by stopping them with that call.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
    Meh, you would sound like Toby or Neckshot