Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: What does a sick deer look like?

What does a sick deer look like?

Disclaimer, I'm a relatively new hunter with little experience. Trying to learn what I can.

Happened to be in an unusual situation today. I've managed to gain access to some private land, where the farmer is not interested in hunting the herd of deer on his block and quite enjoys their company. He's very kindly given me permission to take one, however after examining them through the scope they didn't look very healthy. I decided to not, as I wasn't sure it would be good to eat and I'd rather not kill his four legged friends "just incase". Gotta play it smart, ya know.

And so, the research phase. Based on what I've found so far, I believe they are fallow deer, but regarding their condition, I'm just not sure. Only going for spikers, they didn't want me knocking over any potentially pregnant hinds. Some red flags I noted: they were tiny, skinny little things. One bounded right up to us, we were sitting still and it clearly had no idea. Young male, about two points either side but couldn't have been more than 18kgs (using a GSP for reference). A few other spikers I was looking at had large growths (like tennis ball size) at the base of their antlers, almost as if there was something wrong with their coronet. Overall, the condition of the herd was thin and their coats looked terrible, many of them with bald spots, or at least very shaggy and patchy. We also spotted a few deer on the other side of the valley that looked far larger, healthier and had a more red brown coat, as opposed to the grey of the available ones. Note that these two groups weren't separated by anything more serious than a standard fence that I've seen them get past before.

The photo attached is of the group I was eyeing up, unfortunately the quality isn't much but maybe the colour will help identify them?

Potentially can be explained by poor feed and losing the winter coat, plus fallow are just very small deer? (again, little to no experience) I'm heading back out there in a few weekends so if the consensus is positive, will knock one over and get a closer look.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    The one in the centre of the photo looks normal and fine. The condition of deer, cattle, even dogs can be judged by looking at them from the point of the hip to the base of the tail. An animal in good 'forward' condition will be rounded in this area and either side of the tail base will be filled out. When fallow antlers start growing after casting they can get a funny shape - if they look the same both sides they are normal.
    Go back and shoot that animal in the centre
    Woody, Micky Duck, Ned and 3 others like this.

hard to tell properly from that pic but when zoomed in they do all look boney to me,there hip bones seem to be more pronounced than that of a good cond fallow.prob not worth killing one if they are skinny,may have been a hard winter for them, give them another couple of months and they should get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty99 View Post
    Disclaimer, I'm a relatively new hunter with little experience. Trying to learn what I can.

Happened to be in an unusual situation today. I've managed to gain access to some private land, where the farmer is not interested in hunting the herd of deer on his block and quite enjoys their company. He's very kindly given me permission to take one, however after examining them through the scope they didn't look very healthy. I decided to not, as I wasn't sure it would be good to eat and I'd rather not kill his four legged friends "just incase". Gotta play it smart, ya know.

And so, the research phase. Based on what I've found so far, I believe they are fallow deer, but regarding their condition, I'm just not sure. Only going for spikers, they didn't want me knocking over any potentially pregnant hinds. Some red flags I noted: they were tiny, skinny little things. One bounded right up to us, we were sitting still and it clearly had no idea. Young male, about two points either side but couldn't have been more than 18kgs (using a GSP for reference). A few other spikers I was looking at had large growths (like tennis ball size) at the base of their antlers, almost as if there was something wrong with their coronet. Overall, the condition of the herd was thin and their coats looked terrible, many of them with bald spots, or at least very shaggy and patchy. We also spotted a few deer on the other side of the valley that looked far larger, healthier and had a more red brown coat, as opposed to the grey of the available ones. Note that these two groups weren't separated by anything more serious than a standard fence that I've seen them get past before.

The photo attached is of the group I was eyeing up, unfortunately the quality isn't much but maybe the colour will help identify them?

Potentially can be explained by poor feed and losing the winter coat, plus fallow are just very small deer? (again, little to no experience) I'm heading back out there in a few weekends so if the consensus is positive, will knock one over and get a closer look.
    they look fine as Moa Hunters says likely just hard winter

they're all out feeding, so they're not sick. pick the one that looks in the best condition to you and take it home for the pot. hunting sometimes doesn't give you this kind of chance to study each animal to what it looks like and is eating, so be picky to the point of which one you will shoot right now but don't be so picky you loose the chance at taking some meat home.

They got pletty of feed there,theyl taste good.

Banned
    As before, look at the base of the tail and point of the hip down to the tail, that area tells it all. Ignore the guts, shoulders, neck. Two can be seen that are clearly up the toot, the one in the centre is not or is late. Looks like one bedded in the grass just in front of you too ?

They’re fine mate. Possibly the odd slightly skinny one, but as others have said pick a good one.

Unfortunately your experience with the farmer is all to common. I’ve said it in previous related posts. The Kaipara Fallow herd is out of control.
    Influx of lifestyle blocks & farmers who like having wild deer on their properties, and don’t like them being shot. Along with the difficulties of legally hunting the pine block means there are literally thousands of hectares of prime habitat for Fallow deer, where they are totally safe.
    Nice for the lifestylers, but these animals need predation to keep the population in check. This they just don’t get.
    Their population has exploded, and they’re in plague like proportions on some properties.

a yearling fallow will be same size as your gsp..... I will try to link in photo of one we shot a month back to show size.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Name:  IMG_20220917_111424_9.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  3.03 MBx
    veitnamcam, Scott29er and Billbob like this.

Meg is GSP/lab/beardie for size reference.

Just wait another month until they have fattened up a bit then smack one
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Cheers everyone, feeling adequately educated now. Appreciate the photo @Micky Duck, good to know I'm not looking at an oddity. Will hopefully collect one soonish and will post an update.
    veitnamcam, Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Fog View Post
    Txks for the laugh, did you not read any books before going out in the woods?, Even scrolling thru this forum, plenty of pictures of young velvety stags and other animals in springtime.
    Na, sounds like he actually got outside and did some real learning, then asked some valid questions.
    veitnamcam, 7mmwsm, Pengy and 17 others like this.

Ha, I wish. If I had the experience to make that call there, I would spend less time posting questions and more time eating venison. Unfortunately we all have to start somewhere.

Maybe you could take me for a hunt, show me the finer details of deer biology? I know enough to keep the pointy end of the bang stick away from people, I'm sure we'd have fun. Now i'm pulling ya leg