Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: What rifle calibre do you shoot a whale with?

maybe, I was thinking they would cut it up and research how it tastes
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Am I missing something with this stranded whale business ?? I can never fathom why a line is not run in to the beach from a fishing boat and used to just drag the bastard back out. Sort of the opposite of dragging a cattle beast out of a deep creek. Why all the fiddling around waiting and praying, night vigiling etc while it gets weak using its energy struggling and stress hormones elevating in it's system. It's a mammal so just like a mud stuck horse or downer cow you have to get it back on its feet or in this case fins quick fast or else call the pet food man. Just put a big single grapple hook through the flesh in behind the bottom jaw onto a chain to line setup with a remote release hook and drag it out. Leave the whale to get rid of the hook and chain setup - might even change it's mind about coming near the beach again.
    I'd say if you would just rip it in half it's too heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preacher likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I did some research on how whale tastes while in Japan. And they taste very nice.
    id probably give it a whirl if it was in front of me, but id also probably torpedo a whaling boat if the opportunity presented itself.
    Beaker, ZQLewis and Preacher like this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I did some research on how whale tastes while in Japan. And they taste very nice.
    So keen. Big delicious sea cow thing, of course I want one as schnitzel.
    Beaker and 40mm like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Question is probably why they strand in the first instance? I'm way too dumb to figure that out. My pick Saboted AP Carl Gustav.
    40mm likes this.

Also if it's already gotta get put down I wouldn't say no to having a wee sample on some whale meat.

For the record I detest the idea of "scientific" whaling but if it's already fucked....

about 1988 or so din collings was asked by doc to get in a 458 winchester to cull whales, he got two in and i got the other one.
    WallyR likes this.

I think my 338 Win Mag would do the trick …..not sure though never shot one .

Whales can't be towed off the beach. Their bodies are used to being supported by water and they have very little skeletal structure to support their weight when stranded
    Preacher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Backcountry Bob View Post
    Whales can't be towed off the beach. Their bodies are used to being supported by water and they have very little skeletal structure to support their weight when stranded
    Yup. Only thing I imagine might relieve (?prolong) a whale's suffering until tide is back in would be some kind of barrier erected around it and a lot of seawater continually pumped inside the barrier.

I suspect though that the right thing to do is, when such strandings happen all the whales get immediately euthanised. Candle vigils and unrealistic hopes are just cruel. Too few make it off beaches in a survivable state to justify the rest of them suffering.

And eat them, make them into spacecraft oil (urban myth, I know), skirt hoops, belts, Maori carvings or whatever.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Im rather glad that when my ancestors crawled out of the sea millions of years ago there wern't well meaning greenies there to throw them back in

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    Im rather glad that when my ancestors crawled out of the sea millions of years ago there wern't well meaning greenies there to throw them back in
    With my build I have to swin in togs and not a wetsuit. Everytime I get out wearing the wetsuit some green prick tries to refloat me.....
    GravelBen, Beaker, kotuku and 1 others like this.

NRT
    Whale go to calibre 270 Minkes to Sperm my Inuit mate at the local told me

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

NRT
    Was that Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Backcountry Bob View Post

Would rolling them work?
    NRT likes this.