Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: What rope and knots do you use when hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Attachment 114176

I know stuff all about knots, but this one I'm told is a larksfoot. Very easy to undo, good for attaching gear on the end of a line eg, a GPS from webbing.
    I've always called this/known this as a cow hitch

When attaching a hammock to a tree the timber hitch is good and easy to undo

If in doubt- plenty of knots

some of the gardening ties are re useable and reasonable size. they have a little toggle to undo them. check out the garden section in warehouse etc.

Paracord or other 4-5 mm synthetic cord is good for most things but look at your application first.

If you think you're going to fall on it or abseil with it you need a rated climbing rope . At least "8.5mm single rope" and it will set you back 2 or 3 kg in your pack and a few hundred on your bank balance. So unless you have training ( in which case you will know what you need) DONT COUNT ON A ROPE SAVING YOUR LIFE"

For a ridge rope on a fly it's best to have zero stretch so spectra (and before that kevlar) is ideal if you want to spend the money. You won't be cutting it up for bootlaces.

For guy ropes some stretch is good to avoid ripping the fly or tent in a big gust. I've got fine 2mm cord on mine which can tangle a bit but saves weight and I can make them long enough to be useful.

Hemp hawser laid rope, twine and sisal (single steand) arexthings of the past except unless you're lashing poles together (ancient art form and very satisfying). Binder twine and cheap polypropylene hawser laid ropes are an abomination.

A basic set of knots would be:

Two hitches to fix rope to a pole/tree
    Clove hitch
    Round turn and two half hitches

Two knots to join ropes
    Reef knot (and derivatives) easy to undo but not strong or secure.
    Fisherman's knot (and double) strong, secure but locks up tight after loading.
    If you know the sheet bend to join ropes of different diameters that's a bonus.

Two knots to put a loop on the end of a rope
    Double figure 8
    Bowline (uses less rope and can be tied with one hand)

Another knot that can be useful is the overhand knot (also called the ring bend or water knot) it's the basis of the reef knot and the tape knot.
    gadgetman likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Parachord for me and just the basic knots I learnt as a cub. Reef, bowline, clove hitch, sheep bend etc etc... truckers knot goes good too, but learnt that in the outback.
    What is a 'sheep bend' ???? I only know the 'sheet bend' Did you learn the 'sheep bend' in the outback too ??
    Boaraxa likes this.

Name:  20190628_150005.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  1.90 MB

The sheep shank is used to shorten a rope if you dont have access to the ends.
    The rope is folded back and forth into a zig zag and a half hitch is put over each end. Make the half hitches by twisting the running end of the rope in one hand and push the end of the zig zag loop through it. As you can imagine, it's not the most secure knot if let the tension off it.

I expect the name did originate in the West Island of New Zealand.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Attachment 114233

The sheep shank is used to shorten a rope if you dont have access to the ends.
    The rope is folded back and forth into a zig zag and a half hitch is put over each end. Make the half hitches by twisting the running end of the rope in one hand and push the end of the zig zag loop through it. As you can imagine, it's not the most secure knot if let the tension off it.

I expect the name did originate in the West Island of New Zealand.
    Just as I thought, now we will wait for Dama dama to post a photo of himself bending a sheep, I believe this may be where the term 'knotted' as applied to dogs came from

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Paracord or other 4-5 mm synthetic cord is good for most things but look at your application first.

If you think you're going to fall on it or abseil with it you need a rated climbing rope . At least "8.5mm single rope" and it will set you back 2 or 3 kg in your pack and a few hundred on your bank balance. So unless you have training ( in which case you will know what you need) DONT COUNT ON A ROPE SAVING YOUR LIFE"

For a ridge rope on a fly it's best to have zero stretch so spectra (and before that kevlar) is ideal if you want to spend the money. You won't be cutting it up for bootlaces.

For guy ropes some stretch is good to avoid ripping the fly or tent in a big gust. I've got fine 2mm cord on mine which can tangle a bit but saves weight and I can make them long enough to be useful.

Hemp hawser laid rope, twine and sisal (single steand) arexthings of the past except unless you're lashing poles together (ancient art form and very satisfying). Binder twine and cheap polypropylene hawser laid ropes are an abomination.

A basic set of knots would be:

Two hitches to fix rope to a pole/tree
    Clove hitch
    Round turn and two half hitches

Two knots to join ropes
    Reef knot (and derivatives) easy to undo but not strong or secure.
    Fisherman's knot (and double) strong, secure but locks up tight after loading.
    If you know the sheet bend to join ropes of different diameters that's a bonus.

Two knots to put a loop on the end of a rope
    Double figure 8
    Bowline (uses less rope and can be tied with one hand)

Another knot that can be useful is the overhand knot (also called the ring bend or water knot) it's the basis of the reef knot and the tape knot.
    Ah OK. I think I am better off just avoiding sticky situations and keeping some para cord for small things around camp.

Trucker hitch,prusic,bowline,uni knot and half hitch,slip knot about all I use

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Theres an app (for android anyway) called animated knots by grog. That shows you step by step a heap of different knots. For climbing, the number 8 knot (in various forms) clove hitch, klemheist, prussick, overhand and double fisherman are most common

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

I generally carry a bit of parracord or other braided synthetic cord suitable for dragging an animal/hoisting an animal/apex rope for a fly etc.

My all time favorite most used knot is the bowline...I use it for everything almost daily.
    Second favorite equal is half hitch/rolling hitch/clove hitch.
    Occasionally use a truckers hitch for purchase but this generally makes the rope a one time or two piece affair as it always damages the rope/cord if used to full effect.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I generally carry a bit of parracord or other braided synthetic cord suitable for dragging an animal/hoisting an animal/apex rope for a fly etc.

My all time favorite most used knot is the bowline...I use it for everything almost daily.
    Second favorite equal is half hitch/rolling hitch/clove hitch.
    Occasionally use a truckers hitch for purchase but this generally makes the rope a one time or two piece affair as it always damages the rope/cord if used to full effect.
    VC re the truckers hitch - it won't damage the rope if you do it right. Am I correct to think that you are only making a single chain loop and coming back to that ?? if you make two chain loops and apply the pull through the second it will always come undone and wont lock on the rope. If you still have problems use a sheepshank as per Bagheera's photo to provide the loop

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    VC re the truckers hitch - it won't damage the rope if you do it right. Am I correct to think that you are only making a single chain loop and coming back to that ?? if you make two chain loops and apply the pull through the second it will always come undone and wont lock on the rope. If you still have problems use a sheepshank as per Bagheera's photo to provide the loop
    Na it is not a problem undoing the knot.....the problem is the friction and heat created in the loop destroys the integrity of the rope at that point.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I've always called this/known this as a cow hitch
    Long as it works for you.Name doesn't really matter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Na it is not a problem undoing the knot.....the problem is the friction and heat created in the loop destroys the integrity of the rope at that point.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    I tied trucks down daily with rope for years without any damage to the rope which was mostly Donaghys heavy grade Sash Cord. For a hunting rope that can take the knocks it is hard to beat a woven Cray Pot line