Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What a waste

They took the young and dumb stags mostly by the look of it, if off private property it only makes sense to do it or shut up the place for guided hunts and have farming as secondary and we all love that eh.
    If off public land once again they took mostly young stags, this may piss of trophy hunters but is best for every other hunter and makes that public land trophy actually a trophy.

55 deer in a morning from a chopper, there must be a bloody shitload of deer in there and if it wasn't for them (the choppers) they would be 1080d you can bank on it.

I would bet Dave's left testicle a chopper wouldn't shoot anywhere near 55 deer on public land in a morning in my region.

While I sort of feel I should be payed for my deer they are making money out of (public resource) the sad facts are if they are not controlled then I (we the public) have to pay to poison them and leave them to rot.
    Pengy, Scouser, Beaker and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Mining companies have to make a living. Let's let them strip mine the national parks
    At least wait till the price of the resources go up
    Beaker likes this.

Mining companies have to make a living. Let's let them strip mine the national parks
    Kahurangi is begging for it!
    Nothing to save in there they killed everything already
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

The biodiversity benefit of WARO has been negligible for over a decade, recreational hunter take far exceeds the WARO take (8-12k), probably by about half an order of magnitude. Of course DoC don't keep any accurate records of what's happening with rec hunters on PCL so there's no solid data, great job land manager

Fake edit: there's shitloads of deer in the North Island, I saw over a dozen just from a track in the Ruahines
    BRADS likes this.

[Fake edit: there's shitloads of deer in the North Island, I saw over a dozen just from a track in the Ruahines[/QUOTE]

Haha is that all
    veitnamcam likes this.

R93
    There used to be 5-6000 helicopter shot deer come out of Haast every year.
    It was still one of the best places to hunt during those days.

I have seen over 100+ deer on a winters morning run in the machine in the Ruhines. A lot were in the safe rec hunters areas. Still managed 20 a run for a morning shot easy.
    That was only 4 yrs ago.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I can clearly understand that the famer needs to look after the feed/grass for his stock , sheep cattle etc. But instead of paying for a chopper at what $1500 per hour......

There would be many people that would be happy to pay a reasonable price to shoot a deer....

Next point , why does everone shoot the best stag they see in the bush, imagine if we couldn't, by a law or permit.... Then we would all be forced to shoot the shitty scrubby heads .... Imagine what would happen in a few years...

What would remain would be a strong healthy blood lines with great heads wouldn't it ...

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk660 View Post
    I can clearly understand that the famer needs to look after the feed/grass for his stock , sheep cattle etc. But instead of paying for a chopper at what $1500 per hour......

There would be many people that would be happy to pay a reasonable price to shoot a deer....

Next point , why does everone shoot the best stag they see in the bush, imagine if we couldn't, by a law or permit.... Then we would all be forced to shoot the shitty scrubby heads .... Imagine what would happen in a few years...

What would remain would be a strong healthy blood lines with great heads wouldn't it ...
    Don't be so romantic @Mohawk660. The soil condition in the Ruahine's and surrounds does not support decent heads in any real magnitude. Shoot the shot outta them if your so concerned, that's probably the biggest problem faced in some areas. Expecting some Bavarian trophy to step out from the snow grass and tussock just cause you left it alone to grow ain't gunna happen. Animal numbers are not going down as I'm seeing it too and a 1970s attitude towards deer in certain regions is admirable but flawed.
    As I read it, these are from the Tararuas. Supposedly a deer vacuum from what some will tell you. Not off the farm so I doubt the cocky will be paying fuck all for the machine and if anything getting a box of beers for the use of his strip.
    If anyone wants to shoot a deer most need simply to get off their arse. No palms need to be cross with silver or other unnecessary payment made.
    BRADS and subs like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Mind you John Key's government is already selling public land to Russian gangsters to build resorts
    Yeah nah that was a private sale

Sounds like the foot soldiers of the Wairarapa aren't pulling there weight.
    veitnamcam and madmaori like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Don't be so romantic @Mohawk660. The soil condition in the Ruahine's and surrounds does not support decent heads in any real magnitude. Shoot the shot outta them if your so concerned, that's probably the biggest problem faced in some areas. Expecting some Bavarian trophy to step out from the snow grass and tussock just cause you left it alone to grow ain't gunna happen. Animal numbers are not going down as I'm seeing it too and a 1970s attitude towards deer in certain regions is admirable but flawed.
    As I read it, these are from the Tararuas. Supposedly a deer vacuum from what some will tell you. Not off the farm so I doubt the cocky will be paying fuck all for the machine and if anything getting a box of beers for the use of his strip.
    If anyone wants to shoot a deer most need simply to get off their arse. No palms need to be cross with silver or other unnecessary payment made.
    +1, highly unlikely the strip owner is paying for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOC
    Veni prices are making it hard for the heli operators to get it to stack up at the moment. They are taking less animals they did than last year, or the year before
    Heard first hand from one of them that doc is subsidising them to hit the Raukumaras hard for 2500 animals over winter as numbers are getting up again

Don't have a problem with that, I used to, but after alot of hunting in quite a few areas over the last few years that get waro'd all the time and still seeing quite a few deer, I know that they don't get them all.

Even last week, at sparrows fart we flew through an area that gets hounded by the waro boys, and still saw half a dozen deer, plus one fantastic stag, easy 40x40 and at least 12 points. We flicked back around and the silly bugger stood his ground, until we got within about 30 metres, then he bailed and we chased him back into the bush.

I know of several private properties doing major culls down this way, their deer numbers are high and they do spread into public land. One was taking over 500 out this month. The alternative is DoC throwing 1080 around the block next door.
    Wildman likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Mixture of 4-12 pointers.The photo only shows half of them.55 all up
    Monk you are talking shit, only 20 were shot all up and the biggest was a 9 pointer.
    Last edited by Huntn; 09-06-2015 at 09:18 PM.
    Frosty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Around 20
    Not far out Monk....but it was actually only 4 hinds.