Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

View Poll Results: To shoot a pregnant hind or not to shoot

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shoot

25 35.21%
  • Not Shoot

46 64.79%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: What would you do ?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Better in the velvet,my dogs wont eat antler.
    You feed your dogs velvet?
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I would shoot. They are pregnant for up to 245 days any way
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    You feed your dogs velvet?
    Yep
    Gibo likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Depends if the freezer is full or not. Straight after the roar its likely to be pregnant, then its going to have its fawn feeding from it, then it be pregnant again not long after. Dont really see the problem, if you want some venison and are short im happy to shoot whatever. Apart from when a hind has a fawn to young to fend for itself i wont shoot a hind. Its just cruel on the fawn to stave to death. Otherwise whats the difference between shooting a hind a week pregnant or about to get pregnant, or about to drop, fu k all. If you going to control numbers to a certain degree thats just a fact of life. Normally they in good condiation , fat as and are darn fine eating. In saying all this if i had a choice i leave the pregnant hind and shoot the young stag etc but if thats all around and i need some venison its coming home

sometimes its a case of if i dont shoot it the next person will, in that case i would shoot. if i knew she had a good chance of not being shot by the next person that comes along i will leave her and search for a yearling/young stag/spiker.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Better in the velvet,my dogs wont eat antler.
    My dogs have always chewed antler like they do an old bone.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I don't really see the difference between shooting a pregnant hind just after the roar or just before they drop their young - they're pregnant all the same. You could maybe argue a hind in May has a lot longer to miscarry than one in November if you were really grasping at straws. But after they drop I won't shoot hinds until mid Feb.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Yea, because we all know 1080 is not eaten by pregnant hinds right.

on a different subject, about to be dropped fawns make for damn tasty tucker. A friend shot one like that but I wasn't going to let it go to waste.Not that I ever told the missus or anything.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

A couple of years ago I had a shooting companion lining up a shot on Hind from about 200 yds when she lent around and started to lick her arse. He was about to pull the trigger when Bubs popped out. He got another one later that day but bloody funny.
    phillipgr and Gibo like this.

Pregnant or not , they're still made out of meat and so are stags without antlers
    Dundee likes this.

Tricky one which I always have difficulty coming to terms with as at this time of year it doesn't leave much to point the gun at except for yearlings. Think i've shot one which was in the early stages of pregnancy, but I have to say the venison was fantastic. I've shot a Sika hind last march with a fawn near by which I assumed belonged to her and not the other hind squeaking up the hill? This made me feel real guilty. Going by your guys accounts it should have survived on its own I hope.

Then last week I was 12m away (paced it) from a very nice Fallow Buck, but no timber on its head so it lived for another day. End result is I have had no venison for 3 months

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Then last week I was 12m away (paced it) from a very nice Fallow Buck, but no timber on its head so it lived for another day. End result is I have had no venison for 3 months
    On occassions like that you simply need to ask yourself what you are hunting for. If the answer is meat then ...........
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    On occassions like that you simply need to ask yourself what you are hunting for. If the answer is meat then ...........
    Nah I lie. I actually saw the big buck, swung around, bolt closed, crosshairs on the neck about to squeeze one off and it moves in a blink of an eye into the dense bush. Then I told myself it would be better off left for the roar!

Depends where I'm hunting, but in general I don't shoot hinds at all. I definitely don't shoot deer just for the sake of it, I'm very happy going out and watching them, stalking them and returning home empty handed...I'm lucky if I shoot 1% of the deer I see. I always encourage new hunters (and some experienced) to avoid the "need to kill" ego hunter image and "I have to go home with something" attitude. Appreciate being in the hills just seeing animals.

Venison is not high on the menu list for me, so most deer I/we shoot I give to the person I take hunting, or I put it in my freezer and it's raided by friends and family. I prefer fresh blue cod, salmon, scotch fillet beef, pork chops and belly, lamb chops and mutton roasts to eat anyway.

If I'm hunting on public land I'm usually in an area where I'm chasing either chamois, tahr or looking for that special stag. I prefer not to shoot meat animals in these areas, it disturbs my hunting area and I hate dragging meat out of a mountain valley. On land/blocks I am trying to look after the herd, I will be very selective with what I shoot and I generally won't shoot hinds there either unless the numbers of deer need culled, ie pest control or herd management. I'll never shoot hinds between mid-October and March if I can avoid it.

I grew up on a farm that when my parents bought it in the mid 80's had bugger all deer on it...seeing one was a real treat. The area got hunted and poached and flogged by every local that had a rifle and spotlight.

Dad moved in and locked it up, much to many locals disgust. He really looked after what was there and taught us to be very selective with what we chose to shoot, i.e. not shooting breeding stock...hinds. Every hind is capable of producing another animal, a stag is not. But you need a stag to mate a hind, so you can't bomb up all the stags either, BUT one stag can service many hinds, so in the early days spikers/stags were always selected over a hind as a meat animal. Basically though, shooting a deer in the 90's on the farm was a privilege.

Once the herd numbers began to rise, we started to target specific animals, i.e. 2nd cycle fawns (generally smaller or runty), spikers with small spikes, old hinds, cull stags etc. Many times I would go hunting and return empty handed because I didn't see the right animal to shoot. But by doing this we have slowly seen the quality of heads coming out of the near vicinity improve, and more frequently we run into nice young stags showing good potential. Last year we shot one of the nicest stags we have ever seen in the area, a good 13 pointer.

It took 15+ years to build the herds numbers enough, or to levels that 9 times out of 10, if you go for a proper hunt you will see a deer. The way to do so was by not shooting hinds. It's taken another 10-15 years to manage the herd into producing good sized, healthy animals, and the odd stag that is "better than average". Don't get me wrong, there are still stags with shit heads running around, but the overall trend of stag antler quality is improving.

Our farm is bounded by public land, and 2-3 medium sized neighbours farms where we have no control over what is killed by hunters or 1080 (Dad's found several poisoned carcasses following the latest drop). There are no deer farms nearby so no outside blood influence or numbers building from escapees. By us leaving the deer alone for a few years and being really selective our neighbours have seen the results and mostly adopt the same strategies. They now have better hunting too.

It's a real treat to be able to hunt/or work on your own property, or around it and see deer regularly. If you hunt an area with low numbers, be it public or private you can treat it the same way. Its quite possible to build the herd and have better hunting experiences all round.

If you only get out a couple of times a year and "need" the meat, then I totally understand the desire to shoot a deer regardless of what it is to put a bit of venison in the freezer.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I hunt in a similar fashion josh, I am out to enjoy my time away. A good trip isnt marked by the need to kill something.

It is a bummer when you head out and dont see a thing lol
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"