Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Whats your rifle of choice for stalking?

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    .243 is a fabulous calibre. I have 2. But if I was looking for one calibre to do a lot of different forms of stalking/hunting I would go with what a mate told me ...
    North Island >> .308
    South Island >> .270
    If you come from Ponsonby >> 7-08

I went with his advice and my go to north island go to gun is a Sako .308. I wish a had bought a plastic stock. Tikka a good choice. Sauer would be the bomb!!
    Neckshot, deer243 and Hunt4life like this.

I shot .30 cal for years and eventually developed a flinch from my two older model Tikka .308s. I've swapped them out and although i was going to buy a .243, bought a cheap CG 6.5x55 to see how it went before spending big dollars on a modern sporter. As it turns out, I've spent another $500 with a gunsmith and absolutely love it. It shoots flat with great accuracy out to 200m and almost no felt recoil. As ammunition has improved, I reckon the need for bigger calibres has subsided and my advice would be to go with 6.5mm or .260, or the time proven beast the .270. Good luck out there

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    I shot .30 cal for years and eventually developed a flinch from my two older model Tikka .308s. I've swapped them out and although i was going to buy a .243, bought a cheap CG 6.5x55 to see how it went before spending big dollars on a modern sporter. As it turns out, I've spent another $500 with a gunsmith and absolutely love it. It shoots flat with great accuracy out to 200m and almost no felt recoil. As ammunition has improved, I reckon the need for bigger calibres has subsided and my advice would be to go with 6.5mm or .260, or the time proven beast the .270. Good luck out there
    25-06 ?.....but only cause I've got one!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Yeh Scouser, I've got two mates who swear by 25-06. Good calibre and probably one of my top five preferences, but ammo choice is super important or deer will run a long way before expiring

Yeh Scouser, I've got two mates who swear by 25-06. Good calibre and probably one of my top five preferences, but ammo choice is super important or deer will run a long way before expiring
    I use factory Winchester Super X PSPs in 120 grn......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Cool

I use a customized Monte Carlo stock 8mm K98k cavalry Mauser with the 500mm barrel option. Changed recently from a 4x scope to reflex sights. For bush stalking most of your targets will be under 100m. These days I can manage a 4 moa (4inch) group at 100m,. In real terms, under 50m = head shot, 50 to 100m = neck shot.any distance over 100m and under 150m I aim for the engine room.. Any shot over 150m I don't bother with as a 500mm barrel is not accurate enough and you run the risk of spooking the area or wounding rather than killing. The mauser has a 5 shot mag but I only ever load 4 bullets as I think it saves the spring. First two bullets in are 150gr hollow tips, the next two are 220gr lead heads. If your stalk stuffs up and your target bolts you can hit your target with a bulldozer. Anywhere, they fall over.With a long shot by bush standards, 100m+, you can hit them with a GT Holden. The target falls over. Even though there is a large difference in bullet weights with the short barrel the aim point doesn't need adjusting as long as you don't use the lead heads over 75m.I've used this combination successfully for the last 30 odd years.
    The bottom line is that what you need is a matter of trial and error and in the long run personal preference. There is a lot of hunters on this forum will either choke to death with laughter or vomit at the above, but it works for me........... That should be you target
    Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see

I do 95pcent of all my hunting bush stalking. i use a 243, 100gr fed powershoks. ITS AWESOME. Hant lost one deer yet with that set up. Totally under rated for a bush gun. Dont have to shoot them in the neck either, shoulder shot will blow them over no problems. Biggest stag this roar was 140kg ish, one shot in shoulder it went 10m. Dont need a 308 or anything bigger, a 243 will do the job fine if you use good ammo that do the damage. Still, nothing wrong with a 308, 7m08, 2506, 260 3006. Whatever you prefer, but i hear more stories of the one that got away or ran quite a few metres with the guys that use 308 or bigger than i would ever dream of with my 243. I hit it , its dead
    308 and Hunt4life like this.

Yup , exactly the same here.
    Hunt4life likes this.