Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Where Deer show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    I have a friend who malletted a yearling with an Estwing hammer (Caught it between a fenceline and his UTV)

Then took it back down the hill, Found one of those shiny helium balloons that you use for special occasions, tied it to a hoof,........... and presented it to a co worker for her birthday.

He's still alive, so it can't have gone too badly.
    On reflection, I think I have two stories mixed up.

My friend found a live fawn and presented it plus balloon to the co worker .

The Estwing malletted yearling was delivered to work HQ in front of a bus load of startled tourists.
    Micky Duck and rewa like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    The cheeky thing came back tonight on dark wanting another bottle
    Sounds like a alcoholic.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Neighbour came back from a week balloted at Molesworth Station, got no deer.
    Up our shared drive and there was one standing in the middle of the drive at 10am
    7mmsaum, Moa Hunter, rewa and 1 others like this.

Down on the East Coast culling goats..........came across a Rusa Hind just on dark and scored some venison. While my mate was dressing it out I headed off in the dark with my lenser to fetch the quad. As I walked through a narrow steep cutting about 10m from the quad I heard a noise so I stopped, luckily for me I did cos if i had kept walking the Rusa Stag that fell 30 feet down the sheer bank on my right would have landed on top of me and probably killed me. As he lay on the ground less than 2m in front of me we eyeballed each other for about 20 seconds..........then all hell broke loose..........me frantically unslinging my rifle, at the same time fumbling for the loaded mag in my pocket and him digging holes in the ground with his feet trying to stand up. He beat me by about 4 seconds, turned and ran, jumped the quad and disappeared into the night. Took 20 minutes for my heart rate to drop from 4000bpm to something like normal............

Back a few years another mate and I were duckshooting on the Kaipara in my fully camo'd 13' boat. We were drifting silently up a narrow winding creek near Tauhoa with the incoming tide, hugging the bank which was about 8 feet above us. Heard some ducks quacking around the next corner so we got set to 'spring' them. Saw a dead mangrove tree out of the corner of my eye slowly move and turn to look at me..... turned my head to see a 16+pt red stag at the top of the bank looking down into the boat. Had time to notice the ear tag as I shouldered the 1187.
    We stared at each other over the barrel for about 30 seconds as we drifted past each other and my mind was going through the 'shall I or shant I'......In the end he bolted........Later found out he had escaped from a local deer farm and they had been trying to get him back for 6 months, then gave up and he was fair game...... Glad I didnt take the shot as thinking back on it, if he had dropped off the bank into the boat he would have probably sunk us............
    veitnamcam, 308, Shearer and 4 others like this.

Seen one a few months ago 50yds from the main road between Tauranga and Whakatane. Travel that road a couple of times a week, and been watching the spot since, but not seen again.

Got many storys of the ones in the back yard etc.
    But heres a different one.
    This on Stewy Is.
    A mate was going for a drive with his missus behind the wheel and they came upon a yearling whitetail ambling up the road in the headlights.
    Quick plan was hatched to try and catch it.
    Car speeds up and they managed to wedge it between the bank and the car. Mate jumps out and grabs deer and a hell wrestle and mate and deer are in the back seat on there way to another mates small deer enclosure to unite it to another deer living there.
    It wasn't that far to travel but in the time the deer bit my mate repeatedly kicked the hell out of him and ripped the car seats and pooed and weed everywhere.
    They got it to the enclosure opened gate and released it. Deer promptly got into top gear and shot to the far end and hit the fence and somehow got through the wire and escaped back into the bush. Leaving the deer wrangler looking decidedly second best, cut bleeding bruised and rather smelly thinking , im never doing that again.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosts View Post
    Got many storys of the ones in the back yard etc.
    But heres a different one.
    This on Stewy Is.
    A mate was going for a drive with his missus behind the wheel and they came upon a yearling whitetail ambling up the road in the headlights.
    Quick plan was hatched to try and catch it.
    Car speeds up and they managed to wedge it between the bank and the car. Mate jumps out and grabs deer and a hell wrestle and mate and deer are in the back seat on there way to another mates small deer enclosure to unite it to another deer living there.
    It wasn't that far to travel but in the time the deer bit my mate repeatedly kicked the hell out of him and ripped the car seats and pooed and weed everywhere.
    They got it to the enclosure opened gate and released it. Deer promptly got into top gear and shot to the far end and hit the fence and somehow got through the wire and escaped back into the bush. Leaving the deer wrangler looking decidedly second best, cut bleeding bruised and rather smelly thinking , im never doing that again.
    Channeling Baldrick from "BlackAdder" : "I have a cunning plan"
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I see them in some funny places down here sometimes, was raining one day and I was like "how did that bloody calf get in that paddock?" Turned out it was a fallow doe, taking shelter from the rain in a pump shed. Havent seen them but they come right up and nosey round the dairy shed and around the workshop and fuel tanks etc also, often see their little footprints dotted about the place, fuel tanks are only about 60m from the house. They have figured out what the calf meal feeders are all about. They're also assholes for running round on top of the silage stack and poking holes in the cover with their feet
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Out spot lighting one night we shot a hind and then found it had a young one with it, young one run up the spot light beam into my arms, bundled it into the back seat. Took it to a mates place who had a horse loose box and had it TB tested, a few days later sold it to a deer farmer for $400...deer farmer informed me later that during an electrical storm the same night it got zapped and killed.
    Max Headroom likes this.

Ned
    Living in London for a while next to Richmond Park I used to go running in there. One night in there in almost pitch black (but the gravel tracks were light enough colour gravel you could run them easy) just about got cleaned out by a hind jumping from one side to the other. Felt the rush of air on my face as she just cleared me.

Early Sept this year I think driving back from Turangi to home along SH41 and just after Kuratau and turn off to Western Lake road, about 12.30pm, what's that up ahead? It looks like, yep, arse end of a deer between some road side scrub. Took my foot off the gas and this stag reverses out just onto the edge of the road and looks at us. No ear tags (I know there's deer farms around there), scrubby short antlers, eyes widen then he clears the low fence just up the bank and bolts. Pretty steady traffic along the road so no idea how he'd managed to get onto the road there. It was a small bodied animal too. I'd swear it was a Sika.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Fallow stag wandered out of the bush into the paddock below the house while we where having smoko. Snuck halfway down to him for a photo but it came to an end when the builders fired up the nail gun, one quick look then back over the fence.

Gone but not forgotten
    The day before we arrived at my mates place in Canada (rolling prairie country) he was out bowhunting. When he got home his wife showed him a video of a moose walking past the house, between the garage and the dogs, would have been 20m from their front door at the most.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    The day before we arrived at my mates place in Canada (rolling prairie country) he was out bowhunting. When he got home his wife showed him a video of a moose walking past the house, between the garage and the dogs, would have been 20m from their front door at the most.
    I never really watched the TV series "Northern Exposure' but I loved the theme, that and the moose cruising down the main street without a care in the world.

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  9.5 KB
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I see deer-prints in the stream-bed at the rear of our property, but have never seen one in the flesh (day or night). Everyday I drive through a small patch of bush a few K's from my house (very small patch) I regularly see fallow jumping in or out. A few months back, a 'last-years' fawn danced in front of the car, then made eye-contact before jumping into the trees. I went around a slow-tight- bend, and there she was at the bottom, just her head sticking out of a bush right on the edge of the road, made sure I noticed, then disappeared. It seemed hilarious at the time.

I saw one living its best life in the exclusion zone between north and south korea
    surprised to see it avoid all the mines in there and get to full size