Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Where to score a good fly for cheap?

Condensation City!

Surely a bivvi bag from kiwi disposals isn't too expensive these days? That'd do you, not too heavy either. If you're a real princess you can even sew on some tabs (if they aren't already there) so using some hoochie cord you can keep the completely zipped up bag off your face and the sand flies out.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by sakokid View Post
    oops a sleeping bag cover.
    I got a water proof sleeping bag cover its great for camping under the stars when we can finally see them.Need those sticks thou Dougie that props the head cover over the sleeping bag
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Is there a difference between a bivy bag and a sleeping bag cover that sakokid is talking about? A bivy bag type thing could be pretty idea. I'll have a look at how much they are on kiwidisposals

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Is there a difference between a bivy bag and a sleeping bag cover that sakokid is talking about? A bivy bag type thing could be pretty idea. I'll have a look at how much they are on kiwidisposals
    Pretty much the same thing, if you are a shortass like me you can fit your daypack inside your bivvi bag while you're in it too! And enough room for either boots at the bottom or on a colder night boots tucked up under legs to keep them warm/not frozen
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Does 6'2" count as short? Haha What do the tall members of this forum do with their pack etc on a rainy night when they are sleeping in a bivy bag?

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Does 6'2" count as short? Haha What do the tall members of this forum do with their pack etc on a rainy night when they are sleeping in a bivy bag?
    Good question, would tall people need to take a big rubbish bag or something to put their bag into.

I like my Hennesy hammock for light weight spring/summer outings when the temperature isn't too low but after a night up Arthur's pass when it dropped WELL below freezing I don't take it out if I know it's going to be below freezing.

Even with a down bag rated to -20 I nearly froze.

Twisted and turned in the hammock so many times during the night trying to keep warm, I woke up half frozen in the dark needing a piss...fumbled about for ages trying to find the Velcro flap to get out until I realised the whole thing was upside down, with the mosquito net upper where the flap should have been...was very surprised it didn't rip or cause it any damage!

Certainly a good, lightweight summer option and I find mine really comfortable too.
    phillipgr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Condensation City!

Surely a bivvi bag from kiwi disposals isn't too expensive these days? That'd do you, not too heavy either. If you're a real princess you can even sew on some tabs (if they aren't already there) so using some hoochie cord you can keep the completely zipped up bag off your face and the sand flies out.
    Hey Dougie, doesn't seem as though there are any bivy bags on kiwi disposals at the moment

There are a couple civvie brands on TM atm but being a tall bugger you'd probably need to do the old army styles and sleep in a bivvi bag but under a hoochie.

North ridge do a fantastick bivy bag. that and my huntech fly..... the bizzness!

North ridge have a reasonable fly for $70 ish .I have sold a lot of them with no issues so far. They also have huntech bivvy copy due soon for $150 ish.
    Only sold a few of their bivy bags but customers are happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    There are a couple civvie brands on TM atm but being a tall bugger you'd probably need to do the old army styles and sleep in a bivvi bag but under a hoochie.
    For the non armed service serving among us what exactly is a hoochie? I figure its some sort of small fly? I only ask because every time I have heard the word in my civilian world it referrers to the female sexual organ.
    Dundee and phillipgr like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    For the non armed service serving among us what exactly is a hoochie? I figure its some sort of small fly? I only ask because every time I have heard the word in my civilian world it referrers to the female sexual organ.
    http://www.kitbag.com.au/products/Auscam-Hoochie.html

Aussie version. They usually come with poles to hold up the apex. The poles break down into three sections. If you are ninja you can use just two of the poles to create a lower hoochie. Pretty much the best thing about these is that you pitch them before dark, get yer pegs in nice and solid and then take the poles down. Then, when it's bed time, all you have to do is poles up and you're sweet! If you're ultra soft you can pitch one over the gun point or your ranger grave

Hard to see in this pic but they also have domes so that two hoochies can be connected to make a larger shelter.

PS - don't type in HOOCHIE by itself in a google image search.....

Ah yes i have one I call it a fly.

And curiosity killed the cat. I googeled it and got a page full of shit about the hoochie coochy man by that aussie band