Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Who's going DEEP on Thursday?

As tempting as it is after there being no pressure for so long, I can't even begin to imagine how many will be out and I have no access to hunt private property so I'll be waiting a few weeks I'd say. Plus I bought a Fierce Fury in 6.5 creedmoor during the lockdown and swapped over scopes so nothing in the cabinet is sighted in atm anyway haha, makes the decision to not head out a bit easier.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Nope. Might let the weekend warriors get their fix first. Not a fan of bumping into other hunters in the hills.
    Not a fan of bumping into other hunters either, or anything human for that matter, sitting on a hill glassing, and you see 1 person 3km away down the valley, and suddenly I feel like I'm in a small lift with 9 fat people on a wet day......... going for a day walk up a wee stream other people don't hunt cause they think there is nothing there
    JoshC, Boaraxa and hunterAT like this.

Piopio, Christchurch, Pilbara/GreatSandy Desert WA
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Yep main divide for me, hopefully not to many people yet
    Same here Thursday through Saturday.

From the DOC website just now.

Hunting allowed on public conservation land
    Hunting on public conservation land is allowed under Alert Level 2. Hunters will need the appropriate hunting permit or hold the required concession.

Recreational hunters can apply online for a hunting permit from 5 pm Tuesday 12 May. Permits will be valid once New Zealand returns to Alert Level 2 at 11.59am Wednesday evening. Hunters should first check their existing permit as it may still be current.

Fish & Game NZ have announced the game bird season will open on Saturday 23 May. At Alert Level 2, DOC district offices can issue small game and game bird hunting permits for duck hunting on public conservation land and waters.

DOC staff are focused on ensuring any hunting ballots or bookings planned for the next few months go ahead. Once this process is complete we will contact affected ballot holders regarding next year’s ballots and hunting blocks
    257weatherby likes this.

When they opened the beaches to surfing, the extreme jump in people in the water was bigger than a public holiday. Every person that had ever thought of surfing was in the water.
    I can’t help but think it’s going to be same here. Every person that missed out on their roar trip, hunting trip, or has hunted in the last 10 years, or thinks they might like hunting is going to head to the hills this weekend.

There is going to be a concentration of people at all points. Be safe, wash your hands and don’t shoot someone
    ebf likes this.

Mate was talking to James Scott last week and he’s been getting heaps of bookings for Tahr trips
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    I hardly go where the masses go anyway. Im always going where theres no access points, side of road hop in bush. Crawl down the bank, cross river and hunt where no mans been before etc lol.
    90% of all doc areas i hunt never seen anyone else ever, talking years. If someone is there, i go plan B. Pity those North Islanders fighting over good DOC land.
    Moral of the story...go off the beaten track, try a new spot no one wants to look at in favour of a good area 10km away. You be surprised what you might run into.....
    That sounds lovely!

Bit different up here, not as blessed with half the island being DOC land like you fullas!

Is online permit system not working ?!

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Is online permit system not working ?!
    5.00 pm tonight, it will probably crash.

Deep, yip I hear the Big eye are in numbers of the east coast, the Bluefin might be coming along soon, be about 1000 metres deep
    Danny likes this.

yup , hopefully going deep into mumsie if she isn't tired or has a headache! then i might go for a weekend mission up Ruakaturi. Fark going anywhere near public land for the next few , it will be worse then the roar i reckon.
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

No way. Hawkes Bay will be an absolute madhouse I'm picking, even further back. I'll give it a couple of weeks once things (hopefully) get colder and wetter

Post-lockdown - not so busy after all

It was not really my intention to try to be back in on day-1, but the weather was forecast to be perfect at my favourite part of the Ruahine FP, and as it turned out it was. On the road a 2:20AM, walking at 5AM, and on location at sunrise. A stag was giving short, rather unenthusiastic roars about 400m away. Then 25 metres away from me a small six wandered out, and it too began giving quiet moans in response. The young hind it was following flushed back in my direction at the shot and will make for better eating. So still a bit of late-season action happening and the early bird catches the worm an' all. I did hear one other vehicle arrive after I had left the roadend, but there were no other shots all day, so I would say it was a pretty quiet first day out of lock-down in my neck of the woods.

Name:  18-month hind.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  344.2 KB
    Last edited by Puffin; 15-05-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    Hewie, MB, mopheadrob and 3 others like this.

Heading out tonight will stalk tops tomorrow around lake summer hopefully won't be too hectic

Will be heading out tomorrow, managed to get a Restricted Permit for Te Tapui Block A for Saturday only, couple people were quicker than me and got Thurs-Fri & Sun-Mon.

From what I gather, there has been no hunting there between Nov-Feb (Closed for Fawning), followed by 3 weeks of Balloted hunting (pre-lockdown), followed by 7 weeks of no hunting.

Here's hoping with the lack of disturbance, and possible tail end of the rut, my chances of finding something in here is higher!
    Projects likes this.