Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By 199p
  • 6 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By 7mmwsm
  • 1 Post By Rusky
  • 1 Post By 7mmsf

Thread: The wife offers to pay for a winter chopper trip, but........

  1. #1
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,674

    The wife offers to pay for a winter chopper trip, but........

    I have a winter birthday so, :the wife offers to pay for a fly in trip anywhere I like (long as it's in NZ), and cover any peripheral costs needed, sounds good, right?

    Trouble is fly in areas are generally beyond my range of experience in choosing a good location, as my hunting gets done by 4wd and shank's pony, this leaves me dependant on a pilots discretion, and I keep hearing about people being dropped into areas that suit the pilot but have already been cleaned out, just had a heli gunship through, multiple parties dropped into the same area one after the other, just been poisoned ect ect some pilots are going to be greedier/ more dishonest/ deceitful than others, but no idea how to choose a pilot that is straight up.

    So, the question is, how do you, without firsthand knowledge of an area, choose to where get dropped in, and who by?

    Never chased Sika but not crossing the ditch to sit on a hill in the middle Nth Island nowhere and see nothing cause the guy driving the kerosene taxi doesn't give a shit. (Maybe winter is not the best time for Sika anyway)

    Like chasing Tahr (my main go) but the problem is the same, where and who? (and if I can get into areas normally denied me because of access it may also be a case of "what")

    Feel free to offer helpful friendly advice, or if you haven't had a life lately you may find taking the piss therapeutic, and I'm pleased to have helped.

  2. #2
    Member 199p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    3,072
    Cant help too much except is you chase sika go in with chris cross he is legit.
    Or ruhaines go in with jimmy g
    BRADS likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

  3. #3
    Caretaker
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,341
    If you end up anywhere near Hawkes Bay and want a Sika just let me know, i can take you to some nice possies to get the job done.
    jakewire, P38, veitnamcam and 3 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,102
    Sounds like she has a boyfriend and wants you out of the way for a week.
    If my wife offered a trip like that I would probably pick Stewart Island.
    GWH likes this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    7,247
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Sounds like she has a boyfriend and wants you out of the way for a week.
    If my wife offered a trip like that I would probably pick Stewart Island.
    Not much need for choppers here but u can sure do a big boat trip!

  6. #6
    Member Rusky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    677
    If your chasing Sika in the middle of winter, hunting pressure is going to be down (you will probably have a place to yourself), you can keep your meat cool no probs, stalking is more quiet under foot, and there are still plenty of deer about. I see many pros to hunting winter.
    kiwijames likes this.

  7. #7
    Member Reindeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Wanganui no H
    Posts
    362
    If you want to come to Noth west Ruahine, southern Kaimanawa and Kaweka's Hill Country Heli under the Piloting of Mark Tilyard.
    He knows whats happening who who in the zoo and whats coming out of the scrub.

  8. #8
    Member 7mmsf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Taupo
    Posts
    84
    +1 for Chris cross if your after sika he provides a very honest service
    7mmsaum likes this.

  9. #9
    Member BRADS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    8,223

    The wife offers to pay for a winter chopper trip, but........

    Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Cant help too much except is you chase sika go in with chris cross he is legit.
    Or ruhaines go in with jimmy g
    +1 for the best service into the Ruahines ring helicopters Hawkes bay chief pilot
    Jim Guerin 021 673 426
    He'll tell you where the deer are and is the best pilot around.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rotorua
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    I have a winter birthday so, :the wife offers to pay for a fly in trip anywhere I like (long as it's in NZ), and cover any peripheral costs needed, sounds good, right?

    Trouble is fly in areas are generally beyond my range of experience in choosing a good location, as my hunting gets done by 4wd and shank's pony, this leaves me dependant on a pilots discretion, and I keep hearing about people being dropped into areas that suit the pilot but have already been cleaned out, just had a heli gunship through, multiple parties dropped into the same area one after the other, just been poisoned ect ect some pilots are going to be greedier/ more dishonest/ deceitful than others, but no idea how to choose a pilot that is straight up.

    So, the question is, how do you, without firsthand knowledge of an area, choose to where get dropped in, and who by?

    Never chased Sika but not crossing the ditch to sit on a hill in the middle Nth Island nowhere and see nothing cause the guy driving the kerosene taxi doesn't give a shit. (Maybe winter is not the best time for Sika anyway)

    Like chasing Tahr (my main go) but the problem is the same, where and who? (and if I can get into areas normally denied me because of access it may also be a case of "what")

    Feel free to offer helpful friendly advice, or if you haven't had a life lately you may find taking the piss therapeutic, and I'm pleased to have helped.
    You go for it!! Don't let an offer like this slip thru your fingers!!
    One small problem tho': once you've hunted Sika the rest of the species are pussy cats. When you've walked within 5 metres of a Sika, not seen it & had it whistle at you you'll need a change of underwear as well as defibulator!!!!

    There is some good advice here as to who you can trust for a spot that hasn't been hammered. Stay well clear of a crowd not 100k from Poronui Station!!!!

    Remember to: Easter & the silly season is early this year so the loopies & woofters will be well clear of Jap country by the end of March!!!. Jappers roar anytime from March to August. I have shot one roaring its gonnads off on the 10th July one year & Neil Philpot has had similar experiences as late as August!! As long as there's a hot sheila around they'll be hot to trot ( sounds like a familiar human scenario doesn't it????)

    Enjoy your freebie you lucky sod & don't give the missus a thought while you're tucking into juicy succulent Sika backsteaks!!!!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,102
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Not much need for choppers here but u can sure do a big boat trip!
    Yeah I know what you are saying, be we don't get much change out of a couple of k for a Stewart Island trip from up here.

  12. #12
    Member keneff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Waiuku
    Posts
    662
    I think I'm in love with your wife

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Godzone, South Island
    Posts
    519
    There are a number of SI chopper operators you can trust, most are connected in some way with James Scott. Try James himself, or his pilot Greg at Haast. Or try Clint at Tekapo Helicopters. Stay well clear of Station Air or its offspring, Mt Hutt Heli, or one or two of the "heli hunters" based around Wanaka area. Jeff Shanks at Milford is excellent, and I have had excellent service from the Helicopter line.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Kaimanawas Winter Trip
    By Rusky in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-09-2015, 09:01 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-08-2014, 11:06 AM
  3. My wife's graduation
    By el borracho in forum Off topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-04-2014, 09:59 AM
  4. Winter Trip
    By Tahr in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 15-06-2013, 01:36 PM
  5. Something from my wife
    By Splash in forum Gear and Equipment
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 10:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!