Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Will pig dogs push deer out of an area?

Will pig dogs push deer out of an area?

Have a few pigs getting about. They're in one big gully in particular, theres a decent boar tailing them around and there's also a half decent fallow buck (along with various does and young ones etc) that share the same watershed. Young fella that works for us has dogs and I tried to keep it to myself but he's cottoned on to the pigs being there and been pretty persistently asking if he can run his dogs through there, he reckons he just wants one crack at it and if he doesn't get a pig he'll leave it alone. Would running his dogs through there one time be likely to push the deer out for a substantial amount of time? They're a pretty resident population and no doubt if they did take off they'd be back at some stage I'm just a bit hesitant as it's my honeyhole and being so close to the rut I don't really want that buck taking off or the does as they'll possibly pull some more fellas into the area soon too. I'm not sure that the pigs will hang around very long also so kind of a "give it a crack now or may not get another chance" kind of a situation.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I wouldn't let any dogs near my deer hunting grounds.
    Nothing like a few barking dogs to clear a valley of deer.

Gone but not forgotten
    From what I've read, fallow have a particular dislike for dogs (might have been in "Grandad's" book?).

That said, there is a fallow block I hunt that is no dogs allowed but I usually see several hikers/runners with multiple dogs. The deer are still there, but the hikers do stick to the only track in the block.

I wouldn't take the chance.

The bush next to my place has dogs chasing pigs about once a month and there still seems plenty of deer (red) being seen....dogs are probably covering a 1000 acres in their search.
    Micky Duck likes this.

yip agree go with him.....the deer should be fine unless dogs are harrassing them...in which case they should be getting some meridian assistance via collars quicksmartly to change their ways.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Walk with dog thru same area of bush with deer in daily, see deer most days BUT dog doesn't chase them 99.9% of the time. See a red hind and fawn most days in the same general area, waiting to see if she moves out over the next week or 2.
    Micky Duck likes this.

NRT
    Wouldn't matter at all ,give him the ok if his dogs are trained they should not chase pigs

Sent from my Nokia X20 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Have a few pigs getting about. They're in one big gully in particular, theres a decent boar tailing them around and there's also a half decent fallow buck (along with various does and young ones etc) that share the same watershed. Young fella that works for us has dogs and I tried to keep it to myself but he's cottoned on to the pigs being there and been pretty persistently asking if he can run his dogs through there, he reckons he just wants one crack at it and if he doesn't get a pig he'll leave it alone. Would running his dogs through there one time be likely to push the deer out for a substantial amount of time? They're a pretty resident population and no doubt if they did take off they'd be back at some stage I'm just a bit hesitant as it's my honeyhole and being so close to the rut I don't really want that buck taking off or the does as they'll possibly pull some more fellas into the area soon too. I'm not sure that the pigs will hang around very long also so kind of a "give it a crack now or may not get another chance" kind of a situation.
    I see on here some say no way -some say wont matter - after 50 years of hunting I say no way - pig dogs upset deer - they fuck off after dogs been thru and dont reappear for some time - I guess it will depend on how much was covered by the dogs and how much scent was left and did the two come into any contact - but in my experience they dont mix - and it takes some time for a block to settle down again after dogs been thru - I would say no dogs
    Slug, Moa Hunter, Allizdog and 2 others like this.

How much do you like him? How much do you value your honey hole? Is he hard up for opportunities or got plenty? Would you be happy to have him as a SIL? Will he be around a long time or gone end of season?

I would be terribly slow to say yes but it all depends really, doesn't it? Young fellas have to get a go somewhere, just what qualifies him for your special spot? And will he respect your decision/rules?
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Dog scent and deer don't mix in my opinion. Deer move out of the area. I wouldn't risk fouling a good deer spot if you intend to go for a deer there in the near future afterwards.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 18-03-2023 at 05:53 PM.
    Barry the hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I see on here some say no way -some say wont matter - after 50 years of hunting I say no way - pig dogs upset deer - they fuck off after dogs been thru and dont reappear for some time - I guess it will depend on how much was covered by the dogs and how much scent was left and did the two come into any contact - but in my experience they dont mix - and it takes some time for a block to settle down again after dogs been thru - I would say no dogs
    Think it matters if deer get used to dogs in their territory. Used to hunt an area of DOC land which was hammered by bonnet hunters 7 days a week, deer where cautious but still found them within 500 meters of the roads when the tucker was there.
    7mmwsm, Micky Duck and norsk like this.

I work part time culling in a pine plantation that has a sparodic pig population. One area is a spot where I regularly shoot fallow deer but every so often pigs will turn up. Which always means the pig doggers turn up and run there dogs. End result is no deer for several weeks and the pigs moved on or killed. Usually takes 4-6 weeks for the deer to return.
    This cycled has happened a few times and always turns out the same.
    My advice would be no pig dogging until after the rut and then no real harm will be done

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    ...there is a fallow block I hunt that is no dogs allowed but I usually see several hikers/runners with multiple dogs. The deer are still there, but the hikers do stick to the only track in the block.
    This has been my experience in one block I manage. The fallow are used to dogs on the track and generally avoid the track during daylight. They will travel and browse the track at night.

One neighbouring landowner owns a mongrel "rescue dog" that chased, attacked and killed a fallow buck. The area was very quiet for a month afterwards.

Bailing and trail barking and forget about the deer for a while.
    Game over for a few weeks.