Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By husmari
  • 2 Post By Shearer
  • 2 Post By husmari
  • 3 Post By GravelBen
  • 2 Post By BRADS
  • 1 Post By HNTMAD
  • 1 Post By husmari
  • 1 Post By husmari

Thread: Winter hunting

Question Winter hunting

Hi guys.

I am more or leass a beginner, made few hunts until now, but I am
    an experienced mountaneer also in winter conditions.
    So, I'd like to hear your opinion about winter hunting:

1. Are you hunting in winter, or leave animals in peace?
    2. If you hunt, what would you be hunting for, I was thinking of
    chamoix, deer or tahr.
    3. I do not expect any direct pointers of where to find animals in
    winter, but would you agree to the following:
    a. During nights, animals would climb up from valleys into the bush
    because cold air tends to accumulate in valleys.
    b. Animals would be more or less in the bush during days and on sunny day
    at tree line when in the morning/evening sun catches grass patches.
    c. Also, they can be found on valley flats near water in the morning/evening.

Just your opinion about the matter, please, I may go looking around, anyway,
    I'd just like to know if I am thinking in the right direction. In winter, mountains
    by itself are beautiful enough, even if you don't see any animals :-)

Thanks!

RegK
    Dougie likes this.

All of the above sounds about right to me! I'm taking it you haven't been mountaineering in NZ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Sounds like you are on the right track. Winter hunting is great for the environment you are in alone.
    Think warm places and you will be in the right areas and when first exploring an area, try and cover as much country as possible to find out where the animals are living (you will be able to tell by any fresh sign about). If you put up a few without getting a shot they should be there for next time. If hunting big open country, let your binoculars do the walking.
    Not so sure about the near water morning and evening thing, but as they say, they are where you find them.
    Welcome to the forum and get out there and enjoy it.
    Dougie and Scouser like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I'm getting older and slightly more sensible. I look for a good weather forecast before I head out, especially in winter. As you have noted hunt the sunny faces about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way up. Although you will find them above/on the bushline if the weather has been settled, especially the lower front country in Canterbury.
    Look for spots that catch the early morning sun and will be out of the wind. Keep looking through to mid-morning as well. From about 3pm on they will come out into theopen to feed if there is not much snow around.
    Animals probably won't be down in the valley flats because it is too cold, there will be water up high.

In NZ I have been tramping and tour skiing.
    But have experience in mountaneering around the world up to 7100m (Pik Lenin).

Thanks for your reply.
    Scouser and Friwi like this.

You may find that the weather and conditions can change much faster in the NZ mountains than you expect - so be prepared/well equipped and respect the mountains, people do get themselves in trouble here because they underestimate the mountains due to the relatively low altitude.

Other than that, good luck and have fun (and post some photos of your trips here).
    Dougie, mikee and Scouser like this.

Winter hunting

They are where you find them mate.
    We shot 14 deer last week, apart from the ones on Tuesday in the rain all the rest where in the sun regardless of the time of day.
    Unfortunately we often end up on the cold side of the valley and when you go to get the animal you can see why they are there.
    Hope this helps ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BRADS; 27-07-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    Dougie and Scouser like this.

Get into it, They dont run away, but they do slow down in their movements and eating and live on the sunny side of the hills. Public land is a bit harder to find them but once you do its like going to the pantry. They will have their wintering/yarding up spots. When you find the spots its like you have just walking into a pen where a mob of sheep have been, prints and shit everywhere. Even if you find a wintering spot and no deer (cos you may have spooked them) they will likely be back. Have a few places that i go in winter, also a great time to reccy, they will start moving some more from the winter spots come the warmer days. You will find they will hang in the summer there too as there will be a gd supply of food. Certainly hunting private is much easier as they have less hunting preasure, but again cant resist a checky bit of time in the sun even if there are a few of their mates that go missing on a daily or weekly basis.

Good luck

Hamish
    StagRyan likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    You may find that the weather and conditions can change much faster in the NZ mountains than you expect - so be prepared/well equipped and respect the mountains, people do get themselves in trouble here because they underestimate the mountains due to the relatively low altitude.

Other than that, good luck and have fun (and post some photos of your trips here).
    Don't worry, as a mountain rescuer I have seen lots ...
    As you said, never underestimate any trip out there, and NZ weather is particularly tricky.

Thanks!
    GravelBen likes this.

Ejected
    You need to read the book "Stalking the Seasons Round" by Frank Saxton and some other bloke. It's got all the info you desire in it.

Hi.

I am sorry to reply so late, but I was in Europe for some time and had no time to report.
    And I think I owe you one since you were so kind with your hints.

So, with my friend we had whole weekend for hunting. At that time the snow line was
    still somewhere around 900m.
    Since we had some walking ahead (approx 5 hours in summer) we started early. After
    about three hours of walking I found out that my friend's physical capabilities are far
    from what is needed for that kind of trip. We had spent most of our time just walking
    and there was not much time left for hunting if we wanted to reach the bivvy.

But, anyway, we saw a deer, but were a little too careless and it ran away. In areas
    under the snow line we saw quite a lot of tracks and fresh poo. So, animals were
    there and with a better approach it would be feasible to expect to get lucky.

Next day, I just left my friend with his pace, hit into the bush and exercised animal
    tracking. I was able to find fresh tracks, poo and someone's "bedroom". Tried to
    walk as quiet as I could with loots of observation. I think I got pretty near some
    animal since I was able to smell it ... but did not see it. Maybe my quiet was not
    quiet enough.

So, thank you all for your help, I was not disappointed since it was fun and I
    learned some new things. Will just have to do it few more times :-)

RegKName:  bedroom.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  113.0 KBName:  show1.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  83.9 KBName:  snow2.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  81.6 KB
    WallyR likes this.