Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Woodhill Ballot

CMe
    The animals are definitely there so no problem with that aspect. The key thing with Woodhill is to understand which areas of your block to target. A review via google earth and the right questions pre hunt are critical to making the most of the early morning or later afternoon periods plus making sure you do not bugger those hunts up by mistakenly targeting them at midday.
    Recently cleared/replanted areas with a year or two so of growth are perfect to spot deer out on dawn and dusk grabbing a feed so keep them for that time. That means don;t hunt directly upwind of them during the day!! anything bedded near them will head onto the other guys block if you do!! The pines that are less than between 3 and about 8 years old ( ie 1.5 m high to 5 m high are large enough to give good cover during the day but have feed in between. This is your number one daytime area to hunt. You can cut quietly across rows and look very carefully up and down each row before crossing to the next. Once the pines get too tall the stuff underneath dies off but often these areas are good places for the deer to hide in during their sleeping period. Only good to hunt if you like crawling though!! If one of these borders the open area though, set up for your evening hunt so you can pick them off as they emerge from these trees into the open. The pines that have been thinned are a hell of a mess and just not practical to hunt in for several years afterwards but deer love to bed around the edges where stuff has grown up through it. The mature pines are normally a passing through area but sometimes the deer will lie down in quite open places. So never assume there is nothing there!! Oh yea, on the subject of blaze gear, if you can't see the camo blaze gear you won't see a non camo blaze jacket either. Lots of technical articles around on that sort of thing. The problem with blaze anything is poor light or a mistaken belief you can see under that light condition- particularly important for us old fellas. Your cones in the center of the eye that see colour need a lot more light than the black and white rods on the sides do. It doesn't matter what colour it is when light is poor. You just can;t see colour full stop. Since you can see with your rods you mistakenly believe you can still see colour. I have made a hunters cap to get around this and hope that NZHS will OK me mentioning it on the forum in the next days as I really would like to make sure no one gets shot in Woodhill or anywhere else this roar. One wounding is enough!!
    Spudattack and Scouser like this.

Keen to see this hat of yours Cme

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Keen to see this hat of yours Cme
    Talking about hats Gibo, where is that bitch of Mucko's these days.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Talking about hats Gibo, where is that bitch of Mucko's these days.
    No idea mate, may have left our coast? @Twoshotkill will know

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    No idea mate, may have left our coast? @Twoshotkill will know
    Mate if it has gone over seas, Paula Bennett will stop its benefit.
    Scouser likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Mate if it has gone over seas, Paula Bennett will stop its benefit.
    That hat was just a bludger anyway. But good at finding goats . . .
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CMe View Post
    The animals are definitely there so no problem with that aspect. The key thing with Woodhill is to understand which areas of your block to target. A review via google earth and the right questions pre hunt are critical to making the most of the early morning or later afternoon periods plus making sure you do not bugger those hunts up by mistakenly targeting them at midday.
    Recently cleared/replanted areas with a year or two so of growth are perfect to spot deer out on dawn and dusk grabbing a feed so keep them for that time. That means don;t hunt directly upwind of them during the day!! anything bedded near them will head onto the other guys block if you do!! The pines that are less than between 3 and about 8 years old ( ie 1.5 m high to 5 m high are large enough to give good cover during the day but have feed in between. This is your number one daytime area to hunt. You can cut quietly across rows and look very carefully up and down each row before crossing to the next. Once the pines get too tall the stuff underneath dies off but often these areas are good places for the deer to hide in during their sleeping period. Only good to hunt if you like crawling though!! If one of these borders the open area though, set up for your evening hunt so you can pick them off as they emerge from these trees into the open. The pines that have been thinned are a hell of a mess and just not practical to hunt in for several years afterwards but deer love to bed around the edges where stuff has grown up through it. The mature pines are normally a passing through area but sometimes the deer will lie down in quite open places. So never assume there is nothing there!! Oh yea, on the subject of blaze gear, if you can't see the camo blaze gear you won't see a non camo blaze jacket either. Lots of technical articles around on that sort of thing. The problem with blaze anything is poor light or a mistaken belief you can see under that light condition- particularly important for us old fellas. Your cones in the center of the eye that see colour need a lot more light than the black and white rods on the sides do. It doesn't matter what colour it is when light is poor. You just can;t see colour full stop. Since you can see with your rods you mistakenly believe you can still see colour. I have made a hunters cap to get around this and hope that NZHS will OK me mentioning it on the forum in the next days as I really would like to make sure no one gets shot in Woodhill or anywhere else this roar. One wounding is enough!!

Big thanks for the heads up advice CMe......cheers mate, hope my name comes out of the hat....fingers crossed its third time lucky!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Results are on the website now, bad luck me If anyone needs to fill a spot I will pay in beer WFMC Ballot Results

Few names I recognise, but no one who's likely to have a free spot for me

I scored same block at same time as last year only on a sunday this time.

I fluked another
    OPCz

Quote Originally Posted by moonhunt View Post
    I fluked another
    Good on you Moonhunt.

No luck for Sniper

Managed a block last year with Ning. Saw plenty and having a doe permit I thought we'd be in with a good chance but it just took that little bit too long to properly identify anything before it took off. Missed out this year unfortunately but have started going out with a camera in behind the bike park for a bit of fun. These were all from Sunday arvo having a wander with the girlfriend.

Name:  IMG_6381.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  171.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6389.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  730.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6395.JPG
Views: 475
Size:  865.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6401.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  182.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6406.JPG
Views: 451
Size:  932.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6410.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  166.3 KB

Next mission is to find and photograph a buck.
    Gibo, Rusky and square1 like this.

Great photographs. Welcome.