Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Woodhill Ballot Results

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Meh... could be a case of selling out to the highest bidder if you lot north of Taupo aren't careful.... Then it will be a case of a fat office worker getting in every time because he (or she...) is prepared to pay more than you.
    The reality is that this has happened elsewhere - a ballot brings in F-All money for those volunteering (or being paid - it doesn't matter...)
    You would be better getting out of the pig-pen that is Auckland and moving to where New Zealand is more like it used to be.... because it is only a matter on time before all our interests are either steamrolled by the politically correct, or consumed by those prepared to pay more than we are.
    Apologies for the cynicism - don't shoot the messenger.
    There's a trust that administer the ballot I believe and the iwi get the money

But you're not wrong about the other points

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    There's a trust that administer the ballot I believe and the iwi get the money

But you're not wrong about the other points
    Doesn't matter who gets the money under the current system - as much as we detest a rigged ballot, at least there is a pretence of fairness. Reality is, there is more money to be made by leasing the resource out to the highest bidder....especially with a captive population of Aucklanders so nearby (hell - even going completely integrated and selling to the highest bidder overseas: pick the fat bastard up from the airport and aim the rifle for him - he'll pay more that than your entire hunting kit and more than you are ever willing to pay....as we have seen elsewhere). Enjoy whatever hunting opportunities you have - they are greater than your children will...that's a given.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Doesn't matter who gets the money under the current system - as much as we detest a rigged ballot, at least there is a pretence of fairness. Reality is, there is more money to be made by leasing the resource out to the highest bidder....especially with a captive population of Aucklanders so nearby (hell - even going completely integrated and selling to the highest bidder overseas: pick the fat bastard up from the airport and aim the rifle for him - he'll pay more that than your entire hunting kit and more than you are ever willing to pay....as we have seen elsewhere). Enjoy whatever hunting opportunities you have - they are greater than your children will...that's a given.
    I have been agreeing with you so don't worry.

Have you ever thought of it as a team sport?
    You can take two other hunters in with you. If you all make a little pact, and agree to take each other should you win a ballot, then you triple the chances of "getting in"

I have never paid anything more than a entry ballot fee or a successfull ballot fee, I dont know a WMF person other than when I meet them on the day AND they kindly offer to drive you back to the car park.
    The idea that its "rigged" is just a blight on the good work they try to do by managing the herd.

Using the above method has worked for our "team" and in the past we have managed to go there a few times, purely on an honest ballot! One guy has also "lucked in" on the take a kid hunting day.
    Claims of dishonesty are just sour grapes.
    Low box and 7mmwsm like this.

We have a group that put in ballots every year with the understanding if one gets a ballot we all go on it.
    Took 7 years for my name to come out and i had block 1 last year - it was over run with 4WDs, motorbikes, people shooting .22s at targets in the dunes and even someone camping on it with a fire going. Pretty busy busy place to be a deer.

The management committee members put in a lot of their own time at their own expense
    The ballot used to be drawn under police supervision so no chance of being rigged
    It has been a while since I last got a ballot but haven’t put in after the application fee skyrocketed

Anyone know If this is the last year before the council go in and remove the ‘pests’
    Low box likes this.

Got a second chance draw , thought is have a go at stalking rather then bombing them up out the back of the mates farm at night.
    they are thick as in there at the moment haven't seen many spikers lots of hinds and wieners stags, hind permit will be easy to fill
    Last edited by muka88; 22-05-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Who did you bribe? Hahahaha

I didn't mean to discredit the guys who run it as I know some through nzda. Just pointing out that there is a perception. And perceptions matter as we all know.
    I agree, perceptions do matter..............
    How is this for perception.
    I have been a member of the Woodhill committee for well over 14 years.
    I have given up at least 6 weekends each year to assist run the ballot, patrol, put out and pick up signs and numerous weeknights to attend meetings ballot draws and deal with situations that have arisen as a result of carrying out patrols. As I normally work weekends I have also suffered a considerable loss of both income and social opportunities.
    I have averaged between 350-450 kilometres per day on patrol and normally use a full tank of gas. Patrol days start at 4am and dont finish until the last hunter leaves.......and on at least 4 patrols I have had to remain till well after midnight or the following day to find lost hunters.....( how the hell can you get lost in Woodhill??)
    I have had to pay for my own repairs and punctures which, over this period has amounted to 1000's of dollars.
    I have had some free hunts...........and all the meat has been given to the Take a kid hunting day so we could provide the young hunters with a 'taste of Woodhill'.
    I have entered the ballot for the last 14 years and been successful on 2 draws and have been lucky enough to be included as a companion on 2 other hunts.
    I have been congratulated, thanked, sworn at, assaulted and had my vehicle damaged by disgruntled hunters and illegal forest users including poachers.
    By the same token I have met a lot of good blokes and blokesses, some of them have become good friends. I have also got tremendous satisfaction from watching and helping hunters enjoy the resource, especially young new hunters through the TAKH.
    The only remuneration I have received is a petrol allowance of up to $70 per patrol day which only covers half my petrol. No recompense for attending meetings with other forest users, owners etc.

I have been privileged to work alongside other volunteers who shared the same passions as myself.

However I have now resigned from the committee as after 14 years I feel I have done enough to put something back into the sport I chose many years ago.

I dont expect a pat on the back or compliments by posting the above, I simply posted up to give you an idea of what its like being a volunteer............

What does piss me off is the 'perception' from those who believe the ballot is rigged.......And I have always extended an invitation to those who trot out that phrase, to come along to the ballot draw night and see for yourself. Some have taken up the invitation and some havent...Those that have are normally silenced.........as their perception has been altered. Those that havent, .........well, enough said.
    Low box, johnd, stingray and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    I agree, perceptions do matter..............
    How is this for perception.
    I have been a member of the Woodhill committee for well over 14 years.
    I have given up at least 6 weekends each year to assist run the ballot, patrol, put out and pick up signs and numerous weeknights to attend meetings ballot draws and deal with situations that have arisen as a result of carrying out patrols. As I normally work weekends I have also suffered a considerable loss of both income and social opportunities.
    I have averaged between 350-450 kilometres per day on patrol and normally use a full tank of gas. Patrol days start at 4am and dont finish until the last hunter leaves.......and on at least 4 patrols I have had to remain till well after midnight or the following day to find lost hunters.....( how the hell can you get lost in Woodhill??)
    I have had to pay for my own repairs and punctures which, over this period has amounted to 1000's of dollars.
    I have had some free hunts...........and all the meat has been given to the Take a kid hunting day so we could provide the young hunters with a 'taste of Woodhill'.
    I have entered the ballot for the last 14 years and been successful on 2 draws and have been lucky enough to be included as a companion on 2 other hunts.
    I have been congratulated, thanked, sworn at, assaulted and had my vehicle damaged by disgruntled hunters and illegal forest users including poachers.
    By the same token I have met a lot of good blokes and blokesses, some of them have become good friends. I have also got tremendous satisfaction from watching and helping hunters enjoy the resource, especially young new hunters through the TAKH.
    The only remuneration I have received is a petrol allowance of up to $70 per patrol day which only covers half my petrol. No recompense for attending meetings with other forest users, owners etc.

I have been privileged to work alongside other volunteers who shared the same passions as myself.

However I have now resigned from the committee as after 14 years I feel I have done enough to put something back into the sport I chose many years ago.

I dont expect a pat on the back or compliments by posting the above, I simply posted up to give you an idea of what its like being a volunteer............

What does piss me off is the 'perception' from those who believe the ballot is rigged.......And I have always extended an invitation to those who trot out that phrase, to come along to the ballot draw night and see for yourself. Some have taken up the invitation and some havent...Those that have are normally silenced.........as their perception has been altered. Those that havent, .........well, enough said.
    Nickoli, bumblefoot and Blisters like this.

Me and a mate thought we would throw our hat in for this ballot for the first time..I flunked out but he got block 4 so I’ll be going in with him. Any advice on this block?

I'm just happy to put my hat in the ring every time I've applied and have this as a local resource for the 09 in the face of other shrinking opportunities - The money is more than fair in my opinion - and luck, well its just that... Luck.

Thanks to all those behind this ensuring it keep going...
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

No problem. PM replied to.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Me and a mate thought we would throw our hat in for this ballot for the first time..I flunked out but he got block 4 so I’ll be going in with him. Any advice on this block?
    Block 4 can be hard hunting. It is a mix of 10yr old short pines and some areas of mature pines. There are no 'open' areas like cut overs to hunt.

Block 4 is bounded by Ototoa Rd on its eastern boundary. While you are not allowed to shoot on the road, you are allowed to walk south on the rh verge of Ototoa rd and shoot into your block. For the first 2-3 kilometres as you walk south on Ototoa rd the area to your right is mature pines with good visibility. You will find that deer will move off the farmland to the east and enter block 4 by crossing the road. A slow walk at first light south from the carpark can be productive especially if you see deer crossing into your block. You can then stalk them from just inside the block and should get a shot. 2-3 k south on Ototoa rd there is a clay pan on the left hand side outside your block. Immediately opposite this clay pan is a steep titree/native bush gully that runs west into block 4. Find yourself a vantage point overlooking this gully and sit and be patient. Something will come along if you are patient enough. The rest of the block is able to be stalked with vis being between 10 to 50yds. Stalk it slow into the wind stopping frequently to observe. Go back to where you saw fresh tracks/deer in the afternoon and sit and wait for something to show.

Above all, make sure you positively id the deer. If you have a buck permit make sure you can see at least 3 'points on its head gear before you shoot. If you have a doe permit, you must check to see if it has a pizzel as some of the spikers dont show bumps or spikes and the only way to tell the difference is by its pizzel or lack of. ( A number of hunters on block 4 have been banned in past years cos they didnt ID the deer properly and simply shot at an animal)

Good luck.
    Barefoot, stingray and hebe like this.

Thanks a lot Allgood!

Can vouch the ballot isn't rigged as my partner got in this year. Was his first time entering and we are just nobodies! Super excited and grateful to all those who do their part so we can have a fun day out! Any hints for Block 6?
    Steve123 likes this.