Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: World Record Red Deer!!!!......according to an American

Quote Originally Posted by Haggie View Post
    What if someone just owns a large parcel of land and only lets his mates/family hunt on it but at no cost (just doesnt want people all over their shit) and has some untouched (in the last few generations at least) animals roving around? youd have to consider those free range
    Old mate down the road that isn't allowed to shoot on it wouldnt consider it so.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Hi Haggie, what constitutes 'large' in 'large parcel of land'?.....if the land owner leaves a certain stag he 'owns' that has symmetrical antlers, he then leaves it
    to age long enough to grow 'royals' then shoots it and proclaims 'Free range Douglas score NZ record'....i would laugh in his face and say hes full of shit.....
    c
    You no the only reason big stags are shot on doc land is cause some good bugger has likely seen him the yeat before and decided to leqve him. By your definition that means he's no longer free range cause its had influence
    Wirehunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    You no the only reason big stags are shot on doc land is cause some good bugger has likely seen him the yeat before and decided to leqve him. By your definition that means he's no longer free range cause its had influence
    Hmmm.......I think you twisting my words a bit here...........'By your definition that means he's no longer free range'..............there is no guarantee that the 'good bugger' will 'bag him' next year when he has a better rack because he is on DOC land, free for all to shoot any time of the year......

on private land he is kept aside, till the guy/gal with the big wallet comes along....that is what i am trying to get across, i dont care how big /small the station/property is, he has been SELECTED for a special purpose....a 'trophy head'....and more importantly 'CASH'
    veitnamcam likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Hmmm.......I think you twisting my words a bit here...........'By your definition that means he's no longer free range'..............there is no guarantee that the 'good bugger' will 'bag him' next year when he has a better rack because he is on DOC land, free for all to shoot any time of the year......

on private land he is kept aside, till the guy/gal with the big wallet comes along....that is what i am trying to get across, i dont care how big /small the station/property is, he has been SELECTED for a special purpose....a 'trophy head'....and more importantly 'CASH'
    Agree to disagree.

Im not talking about anybody paying any money or any game preserve. Im talking about joe bloggs going over to his mates sheep farm and bagging a cracker stag on the edge of a doc block. Just so happens the stag walked 100m onto the private side....
    Still not free range enough?
    Wirehunt likes this.

Dont really want to wade in on this but.... my two cents.
    I hunt public, private and public that borders private that i can also access, I work just as hard for most of the private stuff as I do for public land animals, none of the private access is crawling with deer, what id call a natural level of animals and it hasnt been influenced by outside genes...yet.
    I would consider a good stag from these private areas as genuine free range animal and would feel no different from shooting it on public land.
    I can understand where people are coming from with these managed high country station's that have heap of animals and farm genes in them, although it can be hardish hunting it simply dont count.
    What im getting at is that alot of this backcountry private land is just as hard to hunt as public and with as few animals, and its amazing how many of these cockies will let you on, if you just turn up and ask. Just dont turn up as a camo clad ballbag.
    Its going to get harder to get these big genuine wild stags in the future, with all the escapees round, soon it will take a very remote stag to be wild blood.
    That and the helicopters can fuck off.
    veitnamcam, Barefoot and Scouser like this.

Another one for you scouser. What about the joker that uses a chopper to get right up into some big country that would not be accessed by foot. Is this still free range? Or not because not everyone can afford a chopper to get there?
    7mmwsm likes this.

I got a big fat pile of CASH for my big fat two year old Private Block beefies the other day. The one I kept was shot through the fence ..
    They too were selected for a purpose !!

What's the difference between that and the above.. These had no hope in hell of getting away.. The deer on private blocks surely don't just walk up and say shoot me ??
    Its what we all do in one form or another. Spend your money your way.. Others will do the same. Who cares you just need to be able to look yourself in the mirror and be sure if you choose to go to private blocks you act with respect and no wastage,,
    Sideshow likes this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Agree to disagree.

Im not talking about anybody paying any money or any game preserve. Im talking about joe bloggs going over to his mates sheep farm and bagging a cracker stag on the edge of a doc block. Just so happens the stag walked 100m onto the private side....
    Still not free range enough?
    I would consider that free range because of the circumstances you have explained, the animal in question was 'born' in the wild on DOC land and just happened to be shot on 'private land'....i think were getting away from the jist of this thread

Which is....drum roll please......Do the forum members consider a 'Douglas, SCI or any other organisation Trophy head, as a real, free range (as in ANYBODY can shoot it, not paying clients) Stag.....thats the simple question, although as we have all
    seen there are many ways of looking at it....i think by now my position on this subject is well known & clear...if theres a vote and im in the minority, so be it, just want to sound out the members for their honest opinion, cheers

Another one for you scouser. What about the joker that uses a chopper to get right up into some big country that would not be accessed by foot. Is this still free range? Or not because not everyone can afford a chopper to get there?
    If he/she shoots the stag, do they have to pay for it?....or are they choppered into DOC land like loads of hunters are at present for the roar, im not going on about 'access', im going on about 'selected large trophy stags that are kept for paying clients'

if you cant understand the difference between the two sides of the argument:

1) an overseas client bragging "look at me ive just shot a world record free range stag" and

2) you typical kiwi hunter who saves up for his/her once a year 'roar hunt'

then we will get nowhere with this discussion, do you see what im trying to say here?
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    I got a big fat pile of CASH for my big fat two year old Private Block beefies the other day. The one I kept was shot through the fence ..
    They too were selected for a purpose !!

What's the difference between that and the above.. These had no hope in hell of getting away.. The deer on private blocks surely don't just walk up and say shoot me ??
    Its what we all do in one form or another. Spend your money your way.. Others will do the same. Who cares you just need to be able to look yourself in the mirror and be sure if you choose to go to private blocks you act with respect and no wastage,,
    Hi Happy, i have no 'beef' (pardon the pun) with what you've done.....but your not going public with your photo next to the beast with 'World SCI free range record' above your smiling dial....the lady in question (and that is what this thread is all about) IS.......
    kiwi39 and Happy like this.

Ejected
    Righto, here's one that's fuck you lot.
    In the last 24 hours I know of a 10,12 and a 14 pointer getting knocked over. Public land, yep, but landlocked almost by farms. Still fucking good of the local cockies to get the feed into them so much with their winter swedes etc. Well? Are they free range or not?

By the way, this is true story, along with a 9 pointer last week. And some rather large mobs...

Fuck sakes...next it will only be those that take stags with sharp sticks that can claim trophy status.

A trophy head is in the eye of the beholder...no other opinion matters.

All deer in the Kaimai-Mamaku Forest have been genetically mismanaged due to the accidental release several years ago of two Wapiti/Red X stags escaping from the works near the summit.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I buy 'free range' eggs from the cobber down the road. They've got a wee paddock they cruise round in. Could probably leave if they wanted to, but the feed and shelter are too good. Im yet to come across 'wild' chicken eggs. I think the term ' free range' has been used appropriately by barnes lady. Lets not confuse it with a wild deer. Pretty simple.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    All deer in the Kaimai-Mamaku Forest have been genetically mismanaged due to the accidental release several years ago of two Wapiti/Red X stags escaping from the works near the summit.
    Duncan's Spook?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms