Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: World Record Red Deer!!!!......according to an American

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    MattyP, you write you have no trophy inclination but you are ok with people 'ripping yanks off' as you put it...
    Yup. Nothing against someone selling something if there is a market for it. I'm just not in the market for it and don't understand those who are - so from my point of view they are being ripped .

The two are mutually exclusive I would've thought.

As mentioned, I do feel for those monsters poor necks though!

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    God damn. At what point does it become animal cruelty making the things walk around with fucking trees on their heads?

I'm not against anyone making a buck or ripping some yanks off, but anyone ever worn even an older style (heavier) headlamp all night? Can be amazingly tough on the neck just a little bit more weight.

Pretty new to hunting and no trophy inclination. Any trophy I ever take will be something I did all on my own. Don't understand paying tens of thousands and having your hand held the whole way. Mind you, I guess it's not too different from feeders and tree stands so maybe that's where it stems from.
    That's not a very well thought out post.

Well guys, I just happened on your thread and thought I ought to put to rest all of these questions and misunderstandings I've read here! I'm Jessica Brooks-Stevens, the hunter who took the "world record reed deer" you're all discussing. I do not own Barnes Bullets, rather, my parents (Randy & Coni Brooks) purchased Barnes Bullets in 1974. They built the business from the ground up. I began working at Barnes when I was 4 years old stuffing lead cores into copper jackets, and have worked in just about every department here. I am currently the Marketing & Product Manager. I went on my first hunt when I was 4 years old - an elk hunt in the mountains of Colorado with my dad - and have been hooked ever since. I am both a trophy and subsistence hunter. I eat what I kill here in the states, and I love the adventures I've had hunting all over the world. I very much enjoyed hunting the South Island last April, and plan to come back this year. I prefer to hunt free range, although I do not castigate those who hunt high fence areas with reputable operations. The stag is a bona-fide true free range stag and I assure you as an American western hunter, this hunt was no hand-holding exercise. It was comparable to hunting mule deer and elk in our high Utah Rocky Mountains.

To clarify, this stag is currently the SCI FREE RANGE WORLD RECORD RED STAG, scoring 359 6/8 SCI points. SCI, and FREE RANGE. We are all well aware that this is by no means the ALL-AROUND WORLD RECORD RED STAG. This is only for SCI, and only for FREE RANGE. That said, when I saw this brute from afar, I couldn't have given a damn if he was a world record or not. He was absolutely beautiful on the hoof - a very majestic site to see him roaring and gathering his HINDS (yes, I realize I originally spelled it Heinz in my story, but I can hardly understand you damned Kiwi's sometimes! HAHA). The hunt was incredible - I was full of adrenaline and exhausted at the end. I can't wait to go back.

Now, I'm going to pontificate here based on discussions with Gus Bisset, who is a great personal friend, a solid business associate, a phenomenal PH who made this all happen, and works for New Zealand Trophy Hunting. NZTH has a 3000 acre high country game ranch near Kurow in the lower South Island where they hunt for a number of species including massive red stag. All of their hunters who choose to hunt in that area are well aware that this is a high fence situation and are very happy to hunt there as it is brush covered hill country and provides excellent and challenging hunting for several species.

Gus also has access to more than 250,000 acres of privately owned sheep and cattle ranch country in the Northern end of the South Island where he conducts TRUE free range hunting for many species including some of NZ’s largest wild, free ranging red stags.
    There are no game ranches within hundreds of Kilometres of the remote , mountainous areas where he hunts, and it is more than 500 Kilometres from their game ranch. In fact, up until 6 years ago, trophy hunting was not allowed on the sheep and cattle ranches for more than three decades prior to this time. Gus put in a lot of hard work and selective culling to manage the numbers and quality of the animals. There is an abundance of red deer in the region and on these properties they get to grow old and some grow very big.

I understand there is some misleading information out there surrounding free range hunting in New Zealand, and that it is very difficult to find a true free range red stag much bigger than 300 SCI. However, as per Gus, I have it that small numbers of very big free range stags do exist on a few large expanses of privately owned land where there is careful culling, very low hunting pressure and good quality sheep and cattle pasture for good nutrition. This is the case on the free range areas where we hunted last year with Gus. We plan to hunt other areas with him this year for free range Tahr, Chamois and Fallow buck. So, maybe you ornery ol' Kiwis will be a bit welcome and keen to welcome a Yankee Girl to your land down under???
    Wirehunt, craigc, madjon_ and 10 others like this.

Ejected
    Good on ya BL.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Good on ya BL.
    BRADS likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

That was a good read Barnes Lady
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Barnes Lady View Post
    Well guys, I just happened on your thread and thought I ought to put to rest all of these questions and misunderstandings I've read here! I'm Jessica Brooks-Stevens, the hunter who took the "world record reed deer" you're all discussing. I do not own Barnes Bullets, rather, my parents (Randy & Coni Brooks) purchased Barnes Bullets in 1974. They built the business from the ground up. I began working at Barnes when I was 4 years old stuffing lead cores into copper jackets, and have worked in just about every department here. I am currently the Marketing & Product Manager. I went on my first hunt when I was 4 years old - an elk hunt in the mountains of Colorado with my dad - and have been hooked ever since. I am both a trophy and subsistence hunter. I eat what I kill here in the states, and I love the adventures I've had hunting all over the world. I very much enjoyed hunting the South Island last April, and plan to come back this year. I prefer to hunt free range, although I do not castigate those who hunt high fence areas with reputable operations. The stag is a bona-fide true free range stag and I assure you as an American western hunter, this hunt was no hand-holding exercise. It was comparable to hunting mule deer and elk in our high Utah Rocky Mountains.

To clarify, this stag is currently the SCI FREE RANGE WORLD RECORD RED STAG, scoring 359 6/8 SCI points. SCI, and FREE RANGE. We are all well aware that this is by no means the ALL-AROUND WORLD RECORD RED STAG. This is only for SCI, and only for FREE RANGE. That said, when I saw this brute from afar, I couldn't have given a damn if he was a world record or not. He was absolutely beautiful on the hoof - a very majestic site to see him roaring and gathering his HINDS (yes, I realize I originally spelled it Heinz in my story, but I can hardly understand you damned Kiwi's sometimes! HAHA). The hunt was incredible - I was full of adrenaline and exhausted at the end. I can't wait to go back.

Now, I'm going to pontificate here based on discussions with Gus Bisset, who is a great personal friend, a solid business associate, a phenomenal PH who made this all happen, and works for New Zealand Trophy Hunting. NZTH has a 3000 acre high country game ranch near Kurow in the lower South Island where they hunt for a number of species including massive red stag. All of their hunters who choose to hunt in that area are well aware that this is a high fence situation and are very happy to hunt there as it is brush covered hill country and provides excellent and challenging hunting for several species.

Gus also has access to more than 250,000 acres of privately owned sheep and cattle ranch country in the Northern end of the South Island where he conducts TRUE free range hunting for many species including some of NZ’s largest wild, free ranging red stags.
    There are no game ranches within hundreds of Kilometres of the remote , mountainous areas where he hunts, and it is more than 500 Kilometres from their game ranch. In fact, up until 6 years ago, trophy hunting was not allowed on the sheep and cattle ranches for more than three decades prior to this time. Gus put in a lot of hard work and selective culling to manage the numbers and quality of the animals. There is an abundance of red deer in the region and on these properties they get to grow old and some grow very big.

I understand there is some misleading information out there surrounding free range hunting in New Zealand, and that it is very difficult to find a true free range red stag much bigger than 300 SCI. However, as per Gus, I have it that small numbers of very big free range stags do exist on a few large expanses of privately owned land where there is careful culling, very low hunting pressure and good quality sheep and cattle pasture for good nutrition. This is the case on the free range areas where we hunted last year with Gus. We plan to hunt other areas with him this year for free range Tahr, Chamois and Fallow buck. So, maybe you ornery ol' Kiwis will be a bit welcome and keen to welcome a Yankee Girl to your land down under???
    Cool read Got any photos?

Well explained there BL, i hope you enjoy your next visit to our shores, and hope you haven't taken offence to some ambiguity from the post.....always good to get both sides of every story.....nice one chickadee!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I don't mean to be antagonistic and I am going to probably step out of line here but if an animal is shot on a private sheep and cattle farm or estate (sorry I can't bring myself to calling it a ranch in New Zealand) then how can it be considered free range? The bloody thing is behind wire (irrespective of whether it could jump the seven wire fence blindfolded).
    Twoshotkill, Hunt4life and jord like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I don't mean to be antagonistic and I am going to probably step out of line here but if an animal is shot on a private sheep and cattle farm or estate (sorry I can't bring myself to calling it a ranch in New Zealand) then how can it be considered free range? The bloody thing is behind wire (irrespective of whether it could jump the seven wire fence blindfolded).
    I'm with you Rushy. even though most of my deer I've shot have been on private land I still kinda think of them as farm deer. Still doesn't stop me shooting them but not the same as a deer on public land anyone can shoot at.
    Hunt4life likes this.

Agree guys, I buy free range eggs but they still have a fence between the nest and the supermaket shelf

Agree Rushy, thats why i put up the thread on 'Canned Hunting', i wanted to see the forum members views on what they consider a 'Trophy Head'.......my first deer was on a farm on a guided hunt, i did not consider it a 'hunt'.....didnt want to be a hypocrite.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnes Lady View Post
    There are no game ranches within hundreds of Kilometres of the remote , mountainous areas where he hunts, and it is more than 500 Kilometres from their game ranch.
    Welcome to the forum BL.

Are you sure you are talking about the right island ? Maybe you are confusing it with West Island (aka Australia) ? If you look carefully at a map of the upper part of the south island of New Zealand, you will notice that the sea is never more than a maximum of 100km from any point...

"True free range" for most of us on here means public land - NO fences...
    veitnamcam, Toby, Scouser and 2 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Welcome to the forum BL.

Are you sure you are talking about the right island ? Maybe you are confusing it with West Island (aka Australia) ? If you look carefully at a map of the upper part of the south island of New Zealand, you will notice that the sea is never more than a maximum of 100km from any point...

"True free range" for most of us on here means public land - NO fences...
    Spot on

Ejected
    Fucking bullshit Rushy. You haven't seen the stations down here. Or if you have you've got a fucking short memory.
    Head out of arse about now would be fitting.
    7mmwsm and PerazziSC3 like this.