Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: WTF. B FA LEFT SOON.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Hopefully Shaw’s latest cock up will see the greens out of contention, I kind of which the election was sooner rather than later now...just want the muppets gone
    the end is near....the greens wont go, and even if labour win without needing them they taking them in for the next 4 years and Sage will remain in charge of DOC...... from a good source
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    the end is near....the greens wont go, and even if labour win without needing them they taking them in for the next 4 years and Sage will remain in charge of DOC...... from a good source
    That made my day....

I’m off to bed now my days been ruined.
    hotsoup likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Why does your source think we have a four year term?
    ebf, Steve123, Moa Hunter and 1 others like this.

If true its hardly surprising.

What's surprising is the fact that hunters never effectively pre empted such plan by lobbying for a management plan that's favourable to us.

We have the tahr plan which they religiously use a crutch. Maybe stronger protections under the last national govt would have been a good idea.
    Moa Hunter and inozz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    That made my day....

I’m off to bed now my days been ruined.
    Crikey i know this is upsetting and disturbing, but sorry anyway mate. I think this ruins everyones day.

An alternative view... Not looking to upset any of you... But...

Maybe some of you fellas haven’t been hanging around the front country in the Central North Island much recently?

If you have, and you are connected in any way to the rural folk that farm here, then you would know that the deer numbers are a massive problem. Red deer in particular are totally out of control and have far too many small forest blocks in which to hide, landlocked by private land. Hence access to recreational hunters is only possible on a relationship-with-farmer basis.

i.e. These small reserves don’t appear on any DOC maps for a hunting permit as you need an access agreement with the private landowners that surround it.

I’ve sat on top of a local high point and watched the chopper bombing the bush about 1,500m away with 1080. November 2017. Didn’t make the blindest bit of difference to deer numbers in that area. String me up or stretch me on the rack, just saying it like it is. Didn’t touch the pigs either.

There’s fuck all possums though.

I have five or six properties that I visit regularly, a couple several times a year, the others probably once a year. Honestly these days I can’t really call myself a hunter. All I need to do is move my creaking middle-aged body a relatively short distance from my Hilux or quad to a half decent spot the glass from, and I’ll see deer. At all times of the day. It’s gotten so easy that I’ve started to completely change my method of targeting deer to try and get more out of it on a personal level.

This is not good. It is the kind of blatant in your face ungulate proliferation that causes big problems for our primary producers and the health of our forests. I challenge you to go into these smaller native blocks and walk around under the canopy and see for yourselves. There is absolutely diddly squat palatable vegetation left within reach of a mature red deer standing up on its rear legs.

In the document that was posted there is reference to making it easier for hunters to access private land, and these landlocked DOC owned reserves that have no public access. This is the key. And I’m telling you shiny bum city types that really you just need to get out more. Drive a sensible vehicle, wear sensible clothes, be polite and open-minded, ask the right questions. Try and know a little bit about what these guys do and the challenges they face. You will be amazed what opportunities will open up for you, if you put in the hard yards. I know half a dozen cockies with big farms, four with multiple properties in a particular area, who rely upon visiting hunters to do their deer control for them as they either have no interest, or no time. There was a comment on another thread a couple of days ago that farmers are charging for this kind of hunting. Maybe on some properties that is true, especially where the farmer has put money into hunter accommodation and so on, e.g. Riversdale. But in the kind of areas that I go, I’ve never been asked for a single cent contribution, the understanding is that it is my time, my ammunition, my deer to take home with me. But there is a really important aspect to this that you need to remember.

Have something that you can give back. Like if there is a hut for you to stay in, then make a trip there specifically to do some hut maintenance. Rehang some gates. Straighten and re-fix some batons - like not two dozen of them but a whole day’s worth of basic fence maintenance. Take a bag of wire tensioners and staples and an EeziPull and fix up a couple of long run slack fences. Cut some firewood, some scrub, especially around access points or buildings and places where it’s really obvious and appreciated. Not long ago, I dug out the dog shit from under a 12 dog kennel - about 15 years worth I reckon - pressure washed the kennels, rodent proofed the dog food shed, set 10 drainpipe style bait stations, installed simple solar powered LED strip lighting for feeding the dogs at night in winter, and built two wool insulated timber kennels for young pig dogs. Two easy days of work for free come-as-you-are deer hunting.

Anyway, I’ve gotten a bit off topic but the point is that there are way too many deer out there, but you all have more opportunities to get some of them if you know how. And I encourage you to do just that. Whinging about deer control from a distance is in my view completely missing the point. Especially all the way from WA. No offence intended mate.
    Last edited by Flyblown; 03-09-2020 at 12:19 PM.
    Just...say...the...word

I kind of agree. Much like the blue assholes need act, the red assholes need the greens. It's easier to blame unpoular policy on a small coalition partner. But if the red assholes win with a clear majority it will be interesting to see if they do include the watermelons. The whole worldwide shift to Police States is worrying. Hearing how common land is getting referred to as either Crown or Conservation estate also worries me. The removal of freedom of speech worries me as well but the most worrying thing is there's not really any better choices.
    outlander and Ftx325 like this.

This isn’t a political issue, yet you fellas are intent on turning it into one.

The majority of the farmers want deer numbers reduced. I’d say the significant majority of them don’t vote for Labour, and definitely not the Greens.

Go out, ask them, talk about it with the people that count, not disaffected internet buddies.

There will always be deer out there.
    BRADS, Moa Hunter and joelhenton like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    This isn’t a political issue, yet you fellas are intent on turning it into one.

The majority of the farmers want deer numbers reduced. I’d say the significant majority of them don’t vote for Labour, and definitely not the Greens.

Go out, ask them, talk about it with the people that count, not disaffected internet buddies.

There will always be deer out there.
    Always, is a long long time.
    300CALMAN and outlander like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I reckon a number of you are kidding your selves, there’s no ‘political agenda’ here, the facts speak for them selves; there’s miles too many deer in NZ. The collapse of the recovery industry and a number of other factors have influenced that.
    I’m convinced that a Minister of Conservation, regardless of what party they’re from would support the reduction of Tahr, Deer and other pests. The fact that Ms Sage has expressed a personal dislike fir them, in the past is merely coincidental.
    1080 is an excellent example of this. No matter what party has been in government it’s use has been consistent.
    ebf, BRADS, Ranger 888 and 6 others like this.

Dago
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Working with Iwi, what a joke. More likely paying Iwi large sums of money to poison and slaughter deer on their land.
    KFC and Ten Guitars CD time.
    outlander likes this.

I've seen the damage even small population of red deer can do, I've lost well over $100,000 worth of tree plantings over the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    I've seen the damage even small population of red deer can do, I've lost well over $100,000 worth of tree plantings over the last couple of years.
    you need to get the rifle out more often.id be peeling them out or getting people in to peel them out real fast if those numbers were happening to me, why are you letting this slide?
    Dago likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post

Pay for me to come up there for a while cos I’m always where there are no deer. (Mostly)
    outlander likes this.

I've worked in many North Island public conservation land forests over the years, there aren't many that don't show significant ungulate browse. Most have seriously browsed out understoreys, you need to go for a walk in an area that doesn't have ungulate species to really see the difference. You won't see many palatable seedlings and saplings on the ground.

Joel
    sore head stoat likes this.