Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Are you a member of NZDA?

Napier NZDA member like P38, been a member since 1990. $105 year for full membership, $65 for Associate I think (no voting rights, National comps or NZ Wildlife Magazine subscription), juniors $40 (inc. Wildlife sub), family members $5 - I shelled out for Endowment membership a couple of years back.

- Simon

This thread has the potential to turn into a political or values driven shit-fight. The political bullshit has already appeared. The original intent of the topic was probably fine, but it makes me uneasy when this site starts showing signs of diverting from its intended roots.

Its been one of those around to it things and I just haven't got around to it yet! Much the same as joining the WBOP Fish & Game Club
    Sum total is that rugby refereeing dominates my winter months every Saturday gone and at least one night per week with meetings

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Im not. I have thought about it a number of times mainly for the range use but often that is weekends only due to logging.

In my limited experience with them they seem to be holding on to some unrealistic dream of NZ as one big trophy herd.

The vast majority of kiwi hunters are happy just to see some animals in the wild, If they want more members move their goals more in line with the majority.

This is just my experience with the local branch. Others may be different.
    Clearly you have no experience cam
    Addicted to gun powder

Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    Clearly you have no experience cam
    Thats what I got from the couple of agms and 1 head measuring night I attended. Tho thats a few years back now.
    Perhaps I need to attend some more Morgan?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Kiwishooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    This thread has the potential to turn into a political or values driven shit-fight. The political bullshit has already appeared. The original intent of the topic was probably fine, but it makes me uneasy when this site starts showing signs of diverting from its intended roots.
    Must have missed the political posts..........all the posts I've read have been quite friendly and informative. Haven't seen anything that would lead to a shit fight as you put it.

When I think about it just about every thread started on here gets diverted from it's original intent in some form or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk660 View Post
    I had a look at joining my local club. Thinking it would cost around $100 to join and meet like minded individuals. As Im new to hunting I thought it would be a good way to meet other hunters share a few tips , tricks and stories and hopefully tag along on some hunting trips.

Lets Just say I was shocked to find it was going to cost $210:

One of joing fee $50 (No one can tell me why?)
    Adult membership $120
    Range Fee $40

Grand Total $210 ?!

All things consideer I will probably join, more for the range than anything else as I have no where to sight my rifle in and practice.

But I find it interesting that I can get all the NZDA offers here on this Forum, except insurance and tropheys. ( Not that Im interested in Tropheys,getting some meat to take home is reward enough for me)

So while I will begrudingly join NZDA , I would like to say thank you to you all for your help and advice , stories and those of you that have let me join you on armed walks.

As a new hunter and member its appreciated.
    I don't know the exact position of Auckland NZDA .The "Joining Fee" is in part to cover the "expence & hassle" of setting up the membership (it involves more than scribling your name on a list) and a "Recognition" of all the expence and work put in by previous members( a sort of by in scheme) to the club facillities.
    In the scheme of things it is a pretty cheap deal when you see what people pay to play the winter codes and that may last 6-7 months at best.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I have just returned from National Conference and was sitting just behind Auckland branch. They were pretty good guys and I'd suggest you persevere with it as the appear to run a good club with lots of hunts. You Jaffas need good clubs as you got no animals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I have just returned from National Conference and was sitting just behind Auckland branch. They were pretty good guys and I'd suggest you persevere with it as the appear to run a good club with lots of hunts. You Jaffas need good clubs as you got no animals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No shit!!!! just looked at your card today James!!! I was sitting behind you at conference at the nelson table!!!
    Definitely keen on a swap north island south island hunt.

A general explanation of what WE do from the NZDA Nelson website:NZDA Nelson Home Page

The fundamental aim of the association is to ensure that the organisation and management of recreational hunting in New Zealand is carried out by hunters.

Our Mission Statement is:

"to retain, enhance and create opportunities for the enjoyment of legitimate recreational hunting and the sport of shooting, for the members of the Association"

The principle activities of the Association are:

•Advocacy on behalf of New Zealand's hunters and shooters.
    •The promotion of hunting as a legitimate recreational pursuit.
    •The promotion of running target, scoped rifle, & benchrest shooting.
    •The promotion of sensible, effective, legislation on firearms ownership.
    •The publication a quarterly magazine, "New Zealand Hunting & Wildlife".
    •The promotion of effective hunter education through the HUNTS programme.
    •The collection of data, and publication of the New Zealand Big Game Trophy Record Book.

in nelson we hold evenings covering reloading, knives, head measuring, swap meets, gun care we have talks by national bodies and known hunters.

we have access for members to some of the best ranges, lodges and also insurances.

not to mention club hunts and range days.

well worth the small annual fee to meet like minded people.

conference points I was interested in was the Kate Wilkinson address, Peter Dunns update on AATH and where we currently stand in regard to the GAC. We as a body were given the opportunity to communicate our views and ask the "hard questions".

given the current spotlight on firearm safety having the opportunity to discuss laws with people working with COLFO (nz council of licensed firearms) had great value.

seeing first hand the work and results of Dr Geoff Kerr of Lincoln was also a highlight.

sifts out the uneducated bullshit and chinese whispers you hear around the place.

discussions surrounding RHA's and the associated legalities surrounding land access.

this information is then transferred at a branch level to our members. conference attendees spoke/asked questions on behalf of their regional branches

I am proud to be part of the organisation and see huge value in what we do.

Hunting is important to me and so are the issues surrounding its future.
    kiwijames likes this.
    Addicted to gun powder

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
    Must have missed the political posts..........all the posts I've read have been quite friendly and informative. Haven't seen anything that would lead to a shit fight as you put it.

When I think about it just about every thread started on here gets diverted from it's original intent in some form or another.
    Yeah, probably an over reaction from me. Someone mentioned the guy who is accused of shooting Cam McD being an NZDA member/ex branch president, and it irked me a bit. No need for the connection being part of this discussion.

I've belonged to NZDA for 45 years. Been to about 10 meetings. I figure that if I pay a sub, I have bought the right to complain about their policies if I don't agree.

You can be 'irked' as much as you like...but every time someone cops a bullet the cry goes up that 'this' would never happen if everyone belonged to a club...some even go so far as to say it should be mandatory...if the hierarchy cant behave then where does that leave the minions...no matter how deep one buries their head in the sand, their arse will be in the air to be attacked.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    No shit!!!! just looked at your card today James!!! I was sitting behind you at conference at the nelson table!!!
    Definitely keen on a swap north island south island hunt.

A general explanation of what WE do from the NZDA Nelson website:NZDA Nelson Home Page

The fundamental aim of the association is to ensure that the organisation and management of recreational hunting in New Zealand is carried out by hunters.

Our Mission Statement is:

"to retain, enhance and create opportunities for the enjoyment of legitimate recreational hunting and the sport of shooting, for the members of the Association"

The principle activities of the Association are:

•Advocacy on behalf of New Zealand's hunters and shooters.
    •The promotion of hunting as a legitimate recreational pursuit.
    •The promotion of running target, scoped rifle, & benchrest shooting.
    •The promotion of sensible, effective, legislation on firearms ownership.
    •The publication a quarterly magazine, "New Zealand Hunting & Wildlife".
    •The promotion of effective hunter education through the HUNTS programme.
    •The collection of data, and publication of the New Zealand Big Game Trophy Record Book.

in nelson we hold evenings covering reloading, knives, head measuring, swap meets, gun care we have talks by national bodies and known hunters.

we have access for members to some of the best ranges, lodges and also insurances.

not to mention club hunts and range days.

well worth the small annual fee to meet like minded people.

conference points I was interested in was the Kate Wilkinson address, Peter Dunns update on AATH and where we currently stand in regard to the GAC. We as a body were given the opportunity to communicate our views and ask the "hard questions".

given the current spotlight on firearm safety having the opportunity to discuss laws with people working with COLFO (nz council of licensed firearms) had great value.

seeing first hand the work and results of Dr Geoff Kerr of Lincoln was also a highlight.

sifts out the uneducated bullshit and chinese whispers you hear around the place.

discussions surrounding RHA's and the associated legalities surrounding land access.

this information is then transferred at a branch level to our members. conference attendees spoke/asked questions on behalf of their regional branches

I am proud to be part of the organisation and see huge value in what we do.

Hunting is important to me and so are the issues surrounding its future.
    Nice. You Nelson guys were a hard case bunch. I forget the name of your man doing the auctioneering but he was the life of the party.
    rogers.270 likes this.

hahah yeah was a hoot!!! hes a madman on the shotgun!!! some good deals were had
    Addicted to gun powder

Kiwishooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    You can be 'irked' as much as you like...but every time someone cops a bullet the cry goes up that 'this' would never happen if everyone belonged to a club...some even go so far as to say it should be mandatory...if the hierarchy cant behave then where does that leave the minions...no matter how deep one buries their head in the sand, their arse will be in the air to be attacked.
    Personally I think every hunter and target shooter (the disciplines NZDA cater for) should be members of NZDA, but I don't think this would be what eradicates someone copping a bullet (as you put it) This will only come about by shooters wanting to obey the firearms laws and put that priority ahead of pulling the trigger. I also think that it maybe time to introduce a practical part to the firearms license.

It doesn't matter if your a NZDA member or not if your more interested in pulling the trigger cause it's the first thing you've seen in your last couple of trips or whatever instead of fireams safety then you are a bloody idiot and shouldn't have a firearms license........just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Someone mentioned the guy who is accused of shooting Cam McD being an NZDA member/ex branch president, and it irked me a bit. No need for the connection being part of this discussion.

I've belonged to NZDA for 45 years. Been to about 10 meetings. I figure that if I pay a sub, I have bought the right to complain about their policies if I don't agree.
    Yep I agree with both of those statements.......I hear a lot of complaints about the heiracy of NZDA, but I do know some of them have very good intentions, but I was always taught if you aren't prepared to put yourself in other peoples shoes don't complain too loudly

I think Nelson has the best range in New Zealand, I have been a member of Nelson since '98 and saw what the range was built from and the vision of one person which ended up creating reality with the help of a few and the opposition of a few (since I wasn't at the meetings I can only go on what I've been told)

A few years ago (2001)

Approx 2009

I'm suprised you can't see those wind flags moving in the pic Kiwishooter they hardly ever stay still for long there