Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Which are you - Techno Hunter or not

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    GEAR FREAK
    Trying to get to rehab but those shiny shops and online stores just pull me in.
    Used to do a lot of trout fishing and I still remember the saying "flys are made to attract fishermen not fish".
    Even non electronic gizmos and I'm a moth to the flame. Mind you I am trying to rationalise the amount of crap I carry and I have removed a lot of non essential junk down to a smaller amount of good practical gear utilising modern materials. i.e. from heavy primus liquid fuel cooker to light weight cooking set and Swazi Tahr coat to Macpac lightweight rain jacket.
    This is pretty much me too.

Slowly being dragged into the 21st century ................. Manly since discovering the interweb and hunting forums a couple of years ago.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I'll be honest, I do have alot of admiration for those long range guys and hell what they do is REALLY hard but there is nothing more exciting than getting in close where every movement and inch of your body is under close scrutiny of your game. hearing a stag roar from within 100m is the most exciting thing I've done and will endeavour to sharpen up my bush stalking skills.

I think that with all these gadgets nowa days we are becoming shooters as opposed to stalkers in the hunting sense which is really quite sad. Kid me not nothing more exciting than getting in close to a worked up red(am yet to hunt sika sucessfully)?
    graham99 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Slowly being dragged into the 21st century ................. Manly since discovering the interweb and hunting forums a couple of years ago.
    Been the death of many a bank account and probably the odd relationship to boot.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I'll be honest, I do have alot of admiration for those long range guys and hell what they do is REALLY hard but there is nothing more exciting than getting in close where every movement and inch of your body is under close scrutiny of your game. hearing a stag roar from within 100m is the most exciting thing I've done and will endeavour to sharpen up my bush stalking skills.

I think that with all these gadgets nowa days we are becoming shooters as opposed to stalkers in the hunting sense which is really quite sad. Kid me not nothing more exciting than getting in close to a worked up red(am yet to hunt sika sucessfully)?
    Yes maybe for some but they ain't mutually exclusive. The guys I hunt with do both depending on situation. If you think a stag at 100m is good wait till you get one nutting off 10m away
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

R93
    In nearly 30 years of hunting I dont think I have shot a roaring stag outside 50yrds.
    I have the gear and arguably the ability to shoot one out to a km, however I doubt I ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    In nearly 30 years of hunting I dont think I have shot a roaring stag outside 50yrds.
    I have the gear and arguably the ability to shoot one out to a km, however I doubt I ever will.
    That's because the hair on the back of your neck doesn't stand on end, at stags 1000 mts away.
    veitnamcam, Pointer and graham99 like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Techno Hunter
    tight jeans and a tee shirt, water bottle in one hand glo stick in the other and a toy whistle round neck. Just dropped a couple of E going whoop whoop in the bush.
    SIKAHUNTER likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Techno Hunter
    tight jeans and a tee shirt, water bottle in one hand glo stick in the other and a toy whistle round neck. Just dropped a couple of E going whoop whoop in the bush.
    And most will think you are joking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Map and compass. GPS to settle the argument I may have with the compass. But if anyone has a phone app that tracks deer in the Ruahines then I might change my mind about shiny kit

plb, head torch & phone (camera, phone, GPS topomaps one). Still carry a paper map & compass in case I run out of spare phone batteries. Christ a few years back you were flash if you had any polar fleece garments! Pretty open minded to new tech.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by GunsObanion View Post
    GPS to settle the argument I may have with the compass.
    I have often thought a compass to be wrong but have never known it to be!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I think I am probably half n half. Maybe leaning more to the gadget side. I like gadgets but hate carrying them. And I suppose it depends on what you call a gadget. Are bino's gadgets?

If I'm going bush hunting I only take a camera and a GPS (if I don't know the area) However if I am going hunting in open country I have Bino's, camera, range finder and a GPS if I don't know the area. And for the roar chasing sika I have a electronic caller.

Compass and map. Friend lent me an old garmin etrek but receiver so weak you cant pick up signal unless in the great wide open. Will be interested to see what the new phones gps is like in the bush. No offence but going into the bush without a map and compass is.........foolish

I guess i have a few gadgets but definitely not a techno hunter. Its surprising how much room and weight a PLB, GPS, camera, map, compass, rope, jacket, knife, food and drink bottle take up, this is whats in my standard day pack but varies a little depending on the weather and the area im hunting.