Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 1 suppressor for different calibers

I don't want to hijack the thread but has anybody done any research on whether carbon fibre is suitable for suppressors? I imagine pressure shouldn't be an issue but heat might be detrimental.

I'm just thinking about ways to reduce weight out front.

DPT?

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread but has anybody done any research on whether carbon fibre is suitable for suppressors? I imagine pressure shouldn't be an issue but heat might be detrimental.

DPT?
    Use a DPT with a 2-3 baffles removed
    planenutz likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Could you get, say, a 6.5mm DPT, and a couple of spare .223 sections (maybe even including one stainless for blast baffle on an AR for instance), and alternate the smaller baffles with a couple of the larger ones?. So, 5 x 6.5mm for use on a 6.5, but when using a 223 you run SS223;6.5;6.5;223;6.5. That way you get a few tighter sections (gotta be better than just running 5x6.5 for instance) and that way you could accommodate for different muzzle threads too

You'd have to be very very very careful to not leave them mixed up and then try to shove a 6.5mm down it. Colour code em or some such thing perhaps

DPT?
    Would be quite labour intensive and difficult to layup a carbon fiber suppressor me thinks.
    Probably end up being just as expensive as a Titanium one and have a shorter life.
    planenutz likes this.

A-Tec do a carbon fibre one, was having a read... A-TEC Carbon silencers

DPT

DPT?
    A carbon fibre suppressor can be done and have been done but wouldn't work with our modular design, our over barrels are 260grams and our muzzle forward are under 200grams, I don't think there is much more weight savings to be had no matter what material is used...
    7mmsaum likes this.

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Could you get, say, a 6.5mm DPT, and a couple of spare .223 sections (maybe even including one stainless for blast baffle on an AR for instance), and alternate the smaller baffles with a couple of the larger ones?. So, 5 x 6.5mm for use on a 6.5, but when using a 223 you run SS223;6.5;6.5;223;6.5. That way you get a few tighter sections (gotta be better than just running 5x6.5 for instance) and that way you could accommodate for different muzzle threads too

You'd have to be very very very careful to not leave them mixed up and then try to shove a 6.5mm down it. Colour code em or some such thing perhaps
    With only two of them being 223 calibre you would hardly notice any difference. You would be best to stick with them all being 6.5mm so they can all be used on both rifles.

The baffles are all engraved with the calibers on the side of them so that should remove any chance of them being mixed up
    7mmsaum likes this.

Yep I use a DPT 30cal suppressor on 308, 280 and 223. Works fine on all.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.