Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 12.5" nea

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    hopefully might of found the problem went to fit new barrel today and found the barrel nut was only hand tight so hopefully shes fixed need a test fire
    You did'nt check basic stuff like that before getting a new barrel? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Most people would assume that a manufacturer has torqued a barrel nut on properly, but in reality it would surprise you how many are only on hand tight, or worse, way over torqued.
    dogmatix and northdude like this.

northdude
    how many times have you checked to make sure your barrel is screwed on tight on a brand new rifle I never have id expect it to be ready to shoot out of the box really
    dogmatix likes this.

northdude
    plus if you've read a couple of posts back I was intending to put another barrel on it anyway so pretty logical time to do it if I'm taking it apart I would of thought

Yep, it's easier than you think to under or over torque.
    I think my 11.5" was around 45lb to get it lined up.
    My .22lr upper, obviously no gas tube to worry about. Around 35lb.
    My 16" Walther barrelled Schmeisser was factory and you wouldn't expect to check it.
    Welcome to Sako club.

northdude
    As far as I know you tourqe it between 30 and 80 ftlbs I just did it to 30 gas tube didn't lighn up set wrench to 80 and kept tightening till I could lighn tube up didn't get to 80 so all good

As far as I know you tourqe it between 30 and 80 ftlbs I just did it to 30 gas tube didn't lighn up set wrench to 80 and kept tightening till I could lighn tube up didn't get to 80 so all good
    Hey northdude I have a NEA with the 18" barrel and this is what works for me after trying lots of different projectiles. cheap 60 grain hornady softpoint #2270, 24.5grains of AR2206H, cci primers and overall length 2.260". Easy 1 inch groups and often 1/2 inch groups. I don't even sort my brass anymore usually mix of PPU, Hornady, Fiocchi, I have shot more than 3000 rounds in this setup with great success. I have just recently replaced the barrel with a faxon 16'' gunner barrel only because I wanted to lighten the whole rig cause that NEA barrel is a real heavy profile. I shot it a week ago and the NEA/faxon setup shoots great. 1 inch groups easy and my last 3 round group with a very careful hold on bags went 1/2 inch. A friend has a NEA aswell with the 18'' barrel and gets similar results. FYI when I removed the NEA barrel it was so FN tight it was almost pulling the vice off the bench so I warmed up the barrel nut with a propane torch. Good luck

northdude
    its now a 14.5" nea its a 1-7 barrel I got off spanners and its lighter than the 12.5" one cant wait to try it out I'm using 25gr 2206h and 69gr sierra fedral and pmc brass
    matto1234 likes this.

northdude
    OK update on my naughty ar15 tried another scope and got same results had headspace checked and it was excessive so sent it to ken he looked at it and its come back with a new bolt and barrel so time to see what it does this time
    Scouser and Carpe Diem like this.

Far out, what a hassle it's been.
    Welcome to Sako club.

OK update on my naughty ar15 tried another scope and got same results had headspace checked and it was excessive so sent it to ken he looked at it and its come back with a new bolt and barrel so time to see what it does this time
    Hopefully she's sorted mate! we should catch up again soon!! You been back to Pureora again lately?

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Far out, what a hassle it's been.
    Yea pretty disappointing considering the SKS I had before it would run rings around it out of the box if this goes OK I'll look at building one slowly been collecting parts or just buy a Chinese one

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Hopefully she's sorted mate! we should catch up again soon!! You been back to Pureora again lately?
    No but trying to get back down there been up north a bit tho

northdude
    so did a bit of testing on the weekend at 100m best I could do shooting 10 shot groups was 2.5" with 24gr 2206h and 69gr sierra hpbts groups gradually opened up as powder charge went up going to load up some 55gr rounds and try those as well I'm starting to think I'm expecting to much from this type of rig

Hmmm those results aren't too bad @northdude - What scope mag were you shooting with? Does is it have a standard mil-spec trigger?

I could shoot a 2-3" group with my old 12.5" NEA @100m with a red dot using 55gr ball ammo - Maybe try 55gr stuff and see what results you get but theoretically being a 1/7 twist it should shoot the 69gr hpbt's very well @100m.