Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By SiB
  • 2 Post By SiB
  • 1 Post By MB

Thread: 17 HMR vrs 22 Mag Suppressed

17 HMR vrs 22 Mag Suppressed

Hello Guys

Is there any noticeable difference in the report of a well suppressed 17 HMR compared with a 22 mag - all other things being equal e.g. same barrel length, same make/model of suppressor?? Thinking about pest destruction in areas where quiet is required, but the shots are getting too long for the 22 RF subs.

Thanks

17 hmr kicks butt on small stuff, Someone did a big report on this, maybe Gimp I think? whatever he's called now.

Greg at custom guns did a cross wind comparison on you tube, because the projectile has less surface air the 17 got blown around less. Doesnt help fpr your noise problem though

SiB
    I’ve got a .22mag suppressed and a mates got the same in .17

PM me and we’ll sort a time to meet at the farm so you can hear them side by side

SiB
    I’m agreeing w you there. My thought was to invite @Tentman to stand at say 30m distance (safe direction etc) to provide some sort of “what the neighbours might hear” type ‘test’.

Yes it’s highly subjective and many variables, but as with many things, it may well give a person a ‘feel’ for what might be experienced by any in the vicinity
    mudgripz and Tentman like this.

I would have thought the higher velocity of the Hmr would have a higher crack
    not enough to sway you either way if you already have a lean developing

I think the muzzle blast can be well suppressed in a small cartridge like this.

That leaves the sonic crack, which if I understand it correctly is directly related to projectile energy ??? If so maybe the 17 HMR is a bit louder ??

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    if the shorts are long enough to require 17HMR (75m+), you are probably far enough from any neighbour who would care.

I have both, in CZ bolt actions, same barrel length, same size gunworks suppressor for each but in their respective calibre.

I would be inclined to say that the HMR actually suppresses better than the WMR. They definitely have different noise frequencies (HMR higher, WMR lower) which does seem to influence the sound travel (think bass v treble when the yuppies are driving down the road with their windows down blaring out some rubbish they think is music). Lower frequencies seem to travel further.

HMR is inherently more accurate than the WMR, and a lot less drift in the wind, and most importantly if you are shooting in close proximity to houses, less prone to ricochets. The ultimate for this situation - .17HM2
    Less noise than the HMR, with 80-90% of the HMR ballistics, and low ricochet potential.

MB
    You can get subsonic rounds for the WMR, admittedly very few options, but that would swing it for me. If your rifle shot well with them, you could ditch the 22LR.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Interesting. Thanks for the offer Simon if we ever catch up we'll have to discuss it . . . . and to others for your thoughts.