Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 17hmr Scope

GWH
    I have one of these sitting here surplus to requirements, you can have it for 1/2 retail price

Hawke Vantage SF 6-24x44mm Matte Black Riflescope - Hunting and Outdoor Supplies.
    csmiffy likes this.

The best value I have found for the 4-12 scopes is Nikko Stirling Airking 4-12. They used to retail a little over $200 and are a very good scope. I use one on my go to 22LR. They also do a slightly cheaper one in the Mount master AO range which is nearly as good, but is a bit "chunkier" in its appearance. Make sure to get the one with AO as the AO scopes come with a better ring / mount arrangement included in the price.

I do not have any but I do have a few 4-12s here that are similar. Arctic Fox and Nikko Night eater. (Arctic Fox is a budget range but still a reasonable scope but Nikko Air Kings would be my preferred choice of the two) and I think there is a Nikko Night eater here but I think it might be a 4-16 which is a bit bigger / bulkier too.
    mudgripz likes this.

I have a Bushnell 4-12 scope on mine. It has a pre set CDS type turret already set for 17HMR. I set it up on my rifle, zeroed it at 100m and have never looked back. I can consistently shoot rabbits with it out to 200m on still days. So simple. Not too expensive either. The dial up makes such a difference. About $400 from memory. Grab one. It takes all the guess work out and works a treat.
    viper and bigbear like this.

I can't offer advice on what scope to get however....

I have mounted a fixed 6 power on my fathers 17hmr. It's ok out to about 100n but beyond that I find a bit tricky. I reckon what folk above are say is about right, 12 power would be nice. A budget 3-9 would be good too
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    I have a Bushnell 4-12 scope on mine. It has a pre set CDS type turret already set for 17HMR. I set it up on my rifle, zeroed it at 100m and have never looked back. I can consistently shoot rabbits with it out to 200m on still days. So simple. Not too expensive either. The dial up makes such a difference. About $400 from memory. Grab one. It takes all the guess work out and works a treat.
    I think this is what my mates father in law set up is. I have been trying to get hold of it for a play and look over. Waiting to here back on a package deal but seems price increase has come into play already in some shops.

Was just chatting with a mate who sells a few scopes from time to time. He has two that might suit your purpose - both are Rangers from Guncity. The latest Rangers are actually quite good optics - very clear. Had one recently and it was up to entry level bushnell/nikko class. Surprised me...

He has a 4-12x40AO for $250 - new price $399. And a 4.5-14AO for $299 - normal price $599 these days. Also can provide basic or more expensive rings as desired at about half new price.

Don't write Rangers off - as I had - they have raised their standard in recent years and could do that rimfire job well. If interested PM me, I'll give you his number, and you can have a yarn with him.

PS he has more expensive scopes eg Bushnell etc as well..

@bigbear have you purchased said 17hmr? Just wondering what you settled on

I run a Vectoroptics scope on my .17 HMR & it’s a great wee scope!

It’s a Forester 2-10x40 scope. It’s been great for shooting bunnies out to 200+ Where most of my bunny busting has been in darkness.

It has a cross hair but with a dot in the middle which I find great for dealing to bunnies as it’s more precise shooting than a standard cross hair.

Your also able to illuminate the dot which works perfect, not fuzzy as you’d expect on a Chinese scope but I rarely use it illuminated as I use Maxtoch lights which do a great job at turning night into day.

The glass is surprisingly quite clear as there a 30mm tube, rings came with the scope which fit a picatinny rail but I had to order a set of dovetail rings for CZ which were another $10-12

From memory the scope cost me $130 but can’t remember if that was US or NZD but I’d happily buy another.

I’ve shot over 600 bunnies with it and only rezeroed it once.

All their scopes come with rings & they have a variety of scopes they sell so check them out as another possible option.

You could try a second hand weaver classic. Just put a 4-16 x 42 (or 44?) on a 17 hmr and it’s not bad. Not swaro clear but good enough for a rimfire. Bought it for $300 in mint condition.
    mudgripz and bigbear like this.