Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: .223 to .22-250

point I was trying to make is are the gains worth the hassle of finding a reamer and altering action and mag to suit?????
    seen it done to a savage and it ugly from start to finish.... the results werent anything to write home about either...the extra powder used gained sweet stuff all more speed over std .223
    the joke in my mind is how this round (.22-204) is a absolute classic eggzample of how if we humans buggerize around with something for long enough,keep adding improovements along the way ,we eventually end up right back where we started (give or take a flyshit) and think we have the next best thing since sliced bread and spice racks.
    the .222 magnum didnt offer much over .223 so sort of died out and was discontinued
    the .204 ruger is basically a .222 magnum necked down to .20 cal
    the .22-204 is the .204 ruger necked back up to .22 cal
    and now people say its much better than .223
    another is .32/20 thats a very old black powder jobbie
    if I load subsonic with lightish projectiles in my 7.62x39mm (or dare I say it a 300blk) we think we all cleaver and have something all new and flashasmichaeljackson but we just reinventing the wheel
    Have a great Christmas day tommorrow Guys n Gals and please please stay safe out on the roads.
    gadgetman and Marty Henry like this.

I have/had 2 model 12 Savages in 223. I also just sold a Bow, so I decided I was going to rebarrel the 2nd into 6.5 CM, but thought I would really get some more barrel wear from the longer one first. I got a new bolt head from Brownells and Lee Jefferson from Dunedin did the re-chamber to 22-250. Its a great rifle so far with the Nikko stirling LR scope I put on it. Now I have brass I will get some heavier bullets to load up

I converted a lot of the ex-Police 601 Brnos to .22/250 many years ago (1980's). It was quite straightforward; rechamber, alter the bolt face and the extractor and good to go. No magazine alterations were needed. The end result was a good accurate rifle in a much more useful caliber.
    Double Shot and Marty Henry like this.