Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: .223 Recommendations ?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    got a zastava .223 and love it to bits....will go sub inch all day every day with pretty much any ammo Ive chucked at it....if you arent going to stretch the barrel you dont NEED a fast twist or heavy projectiles.......to my mind if you are going to run 80 grn projectiles you might as well use a .243 win...... BUTS THATS JUST ME.
    55grn plenty heavy enough,64 will work ok. for deer I use 50 grn ttsx and sure cant complain about how they work...if I think longer shot is on the cards I take the big gun....keep the .223 for what it excells at....hares rabbits wallabies goats fallow and the occasional red or pig and you wont go far wrong...you just got to pick your shot if something big comes along. they are a lot of fun to use ,cheap to feed and very satisfying to turn bunnies etc into red mist with.
    Cheers brother that makes alot of sense! Im excited to play with a .223 never shot one before. Should be fun
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Been Upto View Post
    Your advice from my first centrefire post is exactly why im buying a .223, I think you maybe right mate may have to go with another tikka. Was just asking the forum bros what they had experienced in different brands. Cheers bro
    I started like you did, only with a mossberg ATR 308.
    Been Upto likes this.

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    buy the 1-8 tikka i have for sale scoped and suppressed
    Been Upto likes this.
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

SiB
    He’s right. That’s a good package IMHO a good $
    Been Upto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    I started like you did, only with a mossberg ATR 308.
    I regret nothing either hahah the .308 is beautiful Im absolutely stoked with it. Cheers for your advice once again
    Max Headroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    buy the 1-8 tikka i have for sale scoped and suppressed
    Its real nice rifle bro, unfortunately dont have the funds for any purchase for another couple months, just formulating some plans and opinions on different .223s cheers for the offer cuz

Quote Originally Posted by Been Upto View Post
    Its real nice rifle bro, unfortunately dont have the funds for any purchase for another couple months, just formulating some plans and opinions on different .223s cheers for the offer cuz
    Sit and scheme for awhile. Right now the NZ dollar is weak(I think) which will probably mean that stock in the shops gets more expensive in the short term.

Shopping for a rifle is a hunt all of its own.
    Been Upto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Sit and scheme for awhile. Right now the NZ dollar is weak(I think) which will probably mean that stock in the shops gets more expensive in the short term.

Shopping for a rifle is a hunt all of its own.
    Ill take that into consideration bro! Gonna pick my options and such. If you end up finding anything in the next couple of months give me a bell!

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Ar15 man. Can be had for same price as a tikka, and are at least twice as fun. Be prepared to spend more in ammo though. For a bolt gun, the howa mini's are a neat wee gun
    Which brand ar15 is $1500?
    I'd guess the ar group size is twice the size of a Tikka?
    northdude likes this.

Banned
    The 223 is a short case so why would you want a long action with a bolt stop like the Tikka ?? I wouldn't. In a med or longer case length the Tikka is fine. But as was posted earlier by another member go with the mini action Howa or other small short action.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Which brand ar15 is $1500?
    I'd guess the ar group size is twice the size of a Tikka?
    Most brands make an entry level rifle that comes in around that price. Nzar15 has them from about 1400 usually, although the next lot may be a bit dearer with the exchange rate.

Yeah a standard ar15 from a reputable brand is probably not going to be as accurate as a tikka but for 99% of hunting/practical use with the 223 it ain't going to make much of a difference.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Max Headroom likes this.

Last year my son got a Steyr Prohunter 223 with the medium barrel in S/S. Has the set trigger and 3 way safety. I'm really impressed with it. easy to shoot and shoots well. Stock is plastic but is stiffer than most plastic stocks available.
    I have seen them advertised for ??? $1499 recently. They were a special build for NZ and Aussie markets and I'm told supply is going to tighten up due to Steyr moving more resources into military production.
    Comes with 1:8 barrel which is good certainly for up to 70 gr and heavier in some bullet styles.
    He just recently also got a Ruger AR-556 16" barrel. Quiet nice for the price point but not my cup of tea. He still uses the Steyr for longer range.
    shooting. Comes with 1:7 barrel for the heavy military ammo.

Re The little JW15's. I got one decades ago and while it was a little rough it was cheap enough that I could practice some trigger polishing skills, stripped the lacquer of the stock and oiled it. Floated the barrel and it turned into a very nice shooter that will stay in my safe.
    Not quite the same as the BSA Target 22 rifle but closer than I expected.
    Half the bluing has come off. The only thing that bugs me is that the safety lever on the bolt ends rides up and has to be clicked back down every once in a while.
    From what I have read from others I believe my experience is typical of the current units. Out of the box they are rough and average-poor shooters but with a little work they can shoot with any of the european brands.
    Zq
    Been Upto likes this.

nak
    Stainless synthetic is practical, but walnut and Blued steel is so much nicer.

Get a CZ 527. Great little mini mauser action and it shoots thumbnail sized groups without too much effort at all.

DSCN1510 by nak _80, on Flickr
    Boaraxa, Mathias, Sh00ter and 1 others like this.

Iv got a Cz 223 its good I like the set trigger and the wood finish plus its an actual 223 in size, as in small , light quick to point , I guess it depends on what you see in a 223 I could never really see the point in owning a 223 if its the same size rifle as the rest of the collection , mine is a 1.12 so really only good for 55 grain ammo as others have pointed out you mite want to look at a 1.8 if you wanting to use heaver pills not that 55g wont do the trick.
    Name:  IMG_0129 (Copy).JPG
Views: 315
Size:  244.6 KB

Go the Cz,s
    Last edited by Boaraxa; 15-10-2018 at 10:51 PM.
    Moa Hunter, nak and Been Upto like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

The other thing about 223's:With a suppressor, a joy to shoot.

FARKIN LOUD Without a suppressor. I'd rather use a 308 than a 223 if I had to do it unsuppressed and without earmuffs.
    Been Upto likes this.