Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 40mm
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By blake_queenstown
  • 1 Post By blake_queenstown
  • 1 Post By Hugh Shields
  • 1 Post By Mintie

Thread: .22lr: H&K 416 .22lr vs M&P 15 .22lr

Question .22lr: H&K 416 .22lr vs M&P 15 .22lr

Looking at making a purchase of a plinking .22lr (AR Style), mainly for use with guests to mix it up from shotguns and .303s.

The HK416 .22lr has caught my eye, and im wondering if anyone has one and would recommend it? or is there a better similar firearm out there, like an M&P 15 .22lr??

Majority of its use will be plinking, possibly get the odd possum and or bunny shoot too....

Thanks in advance team!

I refuse to pass comment on those 'evil little black guns'....
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Consider the hammerli as I’ve found them great with hv ammo. Trigger needs a spring job. That’s why lots of guys don’t like them

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    Consider the hammerli as I’ve found them great with hv ammo. Trigger needs a spring job. That’s why lots of guys don’t like them
    Oh yea? Ive seen one of these before, i see they are sat at around the same price point aswell. Aside from the trigger, any other flaws or annoyances??

The Tippman M4 is the most realistic, and works well.
    blake_queenstown likes this.
    Use enough gun

for the money you are paying for a plastic gun why not custom build a 10/22 etc. get accuracy and reliability. also mags will cost bugga all compared to exotic rifles.
    csmiffy likes this.

hammerli trigger is truly awful, heavy AF.

we see a lot of kriss dmks, M&P's, Stribogs, and some JP enterprise set ups for our club ipsc minirifle matches. Tippmans have a good rep too.

I'd lean towards the M&P but horses for courses
    Good, Fast, Cheap....choose any 2.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    for the money you are paying for a plastic gun why not custom build a 10/22 etc. get accuracy and reliability. also mags will cost bugga all compared to exotic rifles.
    We have 10/22s for bunnies and possums, this would be purely in the "tacticool" banner for guests who want to feel cool on their visit to Queenstown haha
    40mm likes this.

I've used the M&P, Kriss & Tippmann in service rifle. Some thoughts from a bit of use of each.

M&P
    Pros - light and reliable, cycles pretty much everything (within reason), cheaper than the other two
    Cons - some proprietary parts (magazines, charging handle, handguard, bolt etc)

Kriss
    Pros - closest to mil-spec so more scope to upgrade parts, can use M&P & blackdog mags, can use aftermarket 10/22 barrels
    Cons - factory mags aren't as reliable, little bit picky with ammo, some can have firing pin issues

Tippmann
    Pros - quality built, reliable
    Cons - proprietary parts (magazines, bolt, safety)

All three have proper AR controls (specifically bolt hold open) which the Hammerli & HK416 dont.

Personally I'd go with the M&P if its a cheap plinker.

Quote Originally Posted by singularity View Post
    I've used the M&P, Kriss & Tippmann in service rifle. Some thoughts from a bit of use of each.

M&P
    Pros - light and reliable, cycles pretty much everything (within reason), cheaper than the other two
    Cons - some proprietary parts (magazines, charging handle, handguard, bolt etc)

Kriss
    Pros - closest to mil-spec so more scope to upgrade parts, can use M&P & blackdog mags, can use aftermarket 10/22 barrels
    Cons - factory mags aren't as reliable, little bit picky with ammo, some can have firing pin issues

Tippmann
    Pros - quality built, reliable
    Cons - proprietary parts (magazines, bolt, safety)

All three have proper AR controls (specifically bolt hold open) which the Hammerli & HK416 dont.

Personally I'd go with the M&P if its a cheap plinker.
    Thanks heaps, it sounds like i need to be having a broader look at whats out there! Perhaps a trip to Invercargill is in order hahah
    singularity likes this.

The Hk is great fun, just having some issues with the ammo!
    Get it!!

There is a reason why Tippmanns are the answer to 90% of these types of posts. Best all rounder by far and definitely worth a little extra money over the plastic toy feel of the S&W

Quote Originally Posted by blake_queenstown View Post
    Looking at making a purchase of a plinking .22lr (AR Style), mainly for use with guests to mix it up from shotguns and .303s.

The HK416 .22lr has caught my eye, and im wondering if anyone has one and would recommend it? or is there a better similar firearm out there, like an M&P 15 .22lr??

Majority of its use will be plinking, possibly get the odd possum and or bunny shoot too....

Thanks in advance team!
    why so dead keen on an AR style - quests plinking - great fun - little competition thrown in -but what about a Miroku lever .22 okay need ear muffs as not suitable ?? for a can but fun -Winchester lever only downside you will pay for it - Browning semi auto or one of the earlier Remington pumps or semi auto -all very well made and reliable - and cheaper than many of the plastic AR wannabees - throw in a colt .45 peacemaker copy but an air pistol and fun day - some may wannabe cowboys and girls not rambo

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    why so dead keen on an AR style - quests plinking - great fun - little competition thrown in -but what about a Miroku lever .22 okay need ear muffs as not suitable ?? for a can but fun -Winchester lever only downside you will pay for it - Browning semi auto or one of the earlier Remington pumps or semi auto -all very well made and reliable - and cheaper than many of the plastic AR wannabees - throw in a colt .45 peacemaker copy but an air pistol and fun day - some may wannabe cowboys and girls not rambo
    Well put Barry the Hunter. I had a Winchester Model 94 in 22 Magnum (I wouldn't recommend Magnum for plinking tin cans, unless you have money to burn!), but the you can't beat a lever action, with iron sights, for a bit of fun! Your guests Blake, can re-connect with the Cowboy in all of us! Yahoo!
    Barry the hunter likes this.

AR style is fun, id say the majority of guests would point at the AR to shoot over a lever gun.

Had my Tippmann at the range today and decided to put it on paper to check it after about 4000rounds while I was there for some other gear testing. Below pic is the first 5 shots at 50m just with its zero magnification red dot scope... a few clicks to move zero back to centre and it's packed away again ready for work tomorrow. Mine hasn't had any accuracy work done, barrel has been cut to 12.5" and a change of furniture is about it, I do plan to upgrade the trigger at some point but from the factory these things just shoot well!

Name:  20231105_121900.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  3.41 MB

Name:  20231030_162510.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  6.38 MB
    seano likes this.