Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: .22lR Norinco JW15

timattalon - what's the deal on those Nikko scopes you mention - Mountmaster and Airking etc. I like the Nikkos - good reliable little units and ideal for the 22.

What scopes have you got and what are they worth?

What's Gary up to - is he back to gunsmithing out at Amberley??

Smiffy - here's a ballistics chart relating velocity to barrel length on 22s. You can get away with 10" - lose a bit - but yes 16" seems optimal. No gain from extra barrel length in couple of charts I've just seen:

https://www.google.com/search?q=22lr...Zu0idzi5iou2M:

That matches our experience. We tend to shoot out to 110m max with the 22LR (HV) and the shorter 16" barrels certainly do the business hard out to there.
    Last edited by mudgripz; 01-07-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by janleroux View Post
    Got a second hand 16” JW15 - it is a absolutely great little rifle. Do not know how many rounds it had through it before me, but I guess quite a lot. It loves CCI std and Aguila’s.

Just for fun, I am planning to put it into a Boyds stock - want to see what it can do with a bit of love and attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do it. I put mine in a Boyd's and although it's a lot heavier it gives you an adult size LOP and better cheek weld and eye height for a scope. Good to shoot with zero recoil.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    rewa and janleroux like this.

Pics Steve??

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Do it. I put mine in a Boyd's and although it's a lot heavier it gives you an adult size LOP and better cheek weld and eye height for a scope. Good to shoot with zero recoil.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Boyds’s stock already on order. Just wait and see!

What you see, is what you get!

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Pics Steve??
    from this
    Name:  20160113_205228 (1).jpg
Views: 543
Size:  641.0 KB
    to this
    Name:  20160113_213157.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  695.3 KB Name:  20160115_180918 (1).jpg
Views: 403
Size:  1.09 MB

Have since put a nikon rimfire 3-12 on it but find the retical too busy and a bit tunnely. I'll probably put a VX1 2-7 on it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by janleroux View Post
    Very nice!

Yeah, the Boyd's would have been cheaper in the long run. I made some spacers out of 3 x 10mm panel shims for the plastic stock. Got carried away and ended up buying a dremel with all the trimmings. The boyds came up on one of their rapid fires. Only took about 11 months of checking lol.

I extended the wooden one I had, and made a complete stock (and new trigger) for the other one
    Name:  20160613_123916.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  3.78 MB
    Name:  20161120_211606.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  1.76 MB
    Steve123, Cordite, rewa and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    I extended the wooden one I had, and made a complete stock (and new trigger) for the other one
    Attachment 114468
    Attachment 114469
    Love that pistol grip stock, how long did it take you to make ? Don't suppose you made more than one ?

Attachment 114468
    Attachment 114469
    I like the one in the second pic.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    timattalon - what's the deal on those Nikko scopes you mention - Mountmaster and Airking etc. I like the Nikkos - good reliable little units and ideal for the 22.

What scopes have you got and what are they worth?

What's Gary up to - is he back to gunsmithing out at Amberley??

Smiffy - here's a ballistics chart relating velocity to barrel length on 22s. You can get away with 10" - lose a bit - but yes 16" seems optimal. No gain from extra barrel length in couple of charts I've just seen:

https://www.google.com/search?q=22lr...Zu0idzi5iou2M:

That matches our experience. We tend to shoot out to 110m max with the 22LR (HV) and the shorter 16" barrels certainly do the business hard out to there.
    Hi @mudgripz I dont have much left to be honest. The Nikko Mount asters with the AO were about $150 and the Airking a bit more. (Essentially an AO Gold crown for airguns) Not entirely sure if they ares till bringing Nikko in it has been so long since I had anything to do with them. I have a couple 4x32 (Some AO some not) and a couple others but the scopes I have left are mostly Nighteaters , Arctic Fox or Diamonds / Target masters . While I probably have something here to suit most tasks, I dont really have much in options. Always keen to help find new homes for them.

Gary is well. I think he is still rebuilding mills, lathes etc for the workshop, but you know Gary. It takes just as long as it takes to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Love that pistol grip stock, how long did it take you to make ? Don't suppose you made more than one ?
    Na just the one, It didnt take that long, it was just an experiment really with some bits of wood left over from fixing a window. It is basically glued together from two pieces (around the receiver), doing it like that means you can inlet the mag well and trigger on each side and then glue it together. The cutouts around the receiver are (were) really rough but it all gets filled up with epoxy anyway. I was going to make a more traditional style one as well, problem is I have only got Rimu and have not discovered a cheap source of more appropriate wood, this stock has a couple of layers of fibre glass betheen each joint to try and stop it splitting.

A good quality plywood may also be ok for a 22lr, itis easy to cut away layers with a craft knife and chisel

A few more pictures here
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....cations-27850/
    dannyb likes this.

Na just the one, It didnt take that long, it was just an experiment really with some bits of wood left over from fixing a window. It is basically glued together from two pieces (around the receiver), doing it like that means you can inlet the mag well and trigger on each side and then glue it together. The cutouts around the receiver are (were) really rough but it all gets filled up with epoxy anyway. I was going to make a more traditional style one as well, problem is I have only got Rimu and have not discovered a cheap source of more appropriate wood, this stock has a couple of layers of fibre glass betheen each joint to try and stop it splitting.

A good quality plywood may also be ok for a 22lr, itis easy to cut away layers with a craft knife and chisel

A few more pictures here
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....cations-27850/
    Well if you ever fedl like making a mk11 I would be very keen, I have wood work disorder, every piece of wood I touch turns into firewood at best

mine hates CCI and loves winchester 42grn power points...still std length and its quiet enough with subs that I got rid of the 2nd one I had that was suppressed...the longer mag feeds better than the short one...both are legal.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    mine hates CCI and loves winchester 42grn power points...still std length and its quiet enough with subs that I got rid of the 2nd one I had that was suppressed...the longer mag feeds better than the short one...both are legal.
    I got CZ mags for mine. Haven't had an issue yet
    dannyb likes this.