Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 22LR scope with reticle/dials

I had the 223 ar reticle on a 17hmr and it was awesome, with practice nothing was safe within 170m and it was quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gibo likes this.
    Dan M

@Gibo, try that grubby AR223 of mine, see where the BDC works out. They come up cheap all the time, and they're not terrible when the lenses are clean
    Gibo likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    @Gibo, try that grubby AR223 of mine, see where the BDC works out. They come up cheap all the time, and they're not terrible when the lenses are clean
    Can you measure the end diameter mate. This bolt makes it a tight fit past the eyebox, its a bit of an ass tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Can you measure the end diameter mate. This bolt makes it a tight fit past the eyebox, its a bit of an ass tbh
    Which end cuz?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Which end cuz?
    Ocular is the end that interferes with the bolt.

Another option is a Nikko Airking.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I had a Bushnell AR scope on a 22LR (3 - 9 × 40). I did the maths and worked out how the dots worked for 22 subsonic. Worked really well, still have it if you want it. Now I have a Nikon Prostaff rimfire and a Tract rimfire scope. You can work the range for the bdc reticle on their websites
    gadgetman and Gibo like this.

I used a Burris Fullfield 2 3-9 for a while on my 22 and had great success on bunnies to about 100m and plinking to 120m, the ballistic plex worked great.

Any further than that and dialing will be a better option for the most part (wind becomes a bigger factor too) and I don't tend to trust cheap dialing scopes anymore.
    Gibo likes this.

My Hawke works well. It's the 3-9 one. Turrets are capped and underneath it isn't numbered, so dialling it is risky as it'd be easy to lose track.

Illuminated reticle for low light is handy - it can do red or green. The reticle is for 22lr subsonic. Second focal plane obviously so changing the magnification changes what ranges the subtensions represent. Advantage of this is you can use something like Strelok to work out what magnification you'll need to set it to, to get your chosen ammo to line up. Disadvantage is that the scope is then effectively fixed power.

Mine's set just under 7x which makes the crosshair, 75m, 100m, 125m, 150m, 175m, and the post good for 50m, 75m, 99m, 124m, 149m, 174m, and 200m with the ammo I'm using (45gr going at 1000fps rather than your more typical 40gr at 1050fps) so the system is fairly flexible. I find 7x fine for minute of rabbit dome out to as far as the rifle (CZ452) can hit a target that size which is about 150m. Did reasonably well at the S22 comp with it recently too. No guesswork with holdovers or having to dial which meant I was free to just get on with pulling the trigger.

There's a 4-16 and 30mm tubes which I think have side focus too.
    Gibo and caberslash like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Hawke makes a good .22LR subsonic reticle

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/me...0_at_14.56.jpg
    Gibo likes this.

i brought a guncity brand ranger scope 4x12 with ballistic reticle new of trademe for couple hundred dollars,gun city sell a 3x9 ballistic for $299.
    The glass seems nice and chrisp for price.
    I haven't done much with mine a part from mount it on gun so can't give you much feed back
    Gibo likes this.

The Bushnell Engage series with the Deploy reticle is a great bunny scope. Off the bench I can hit fist sized wooden blocks at 200m easy.
    gadgetman, Gibo and Moa Hunter like this.

Nikon prostaff BDC reticle. Bloody good. Getting harder to find as nikon have stopped making scopes. Serious shooters had one in the cabinet for just over 3spot. The spot on app is pretty handy.
    caberslash likes this.

55SIX have the Nikon 6-18 bdc in stock with more of the 3-9 inbound. They are a nice bright optic for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    55SIX have the Nikon 6-18 bdc in stock with more of the 3-9 inbound. They are a nice bright optic for the money.
    @55six Nikon scopes no longer in production so these must be old stock without warranty back up? Correct?
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.