Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 243 twist rate

I've had good Success with Sierra Game king 85 gr and berger 87gr VLD Hunting on game from goats to red hinds from a 1:10 Savage 99 . I have Shot Larger and Tougher game with the Bergers out past 250 yd From a good Bolt action.
    More precision and velocity.

The 1:10 would not stabilize 100gr low velocity but my 1:8 bolt action will stabilize 105 gr vld down at 1050fps.
    Zane

Gone but not forgotten
    I had a box of Sierra 85gr hpbt gamekings arrive yesterday, and some Hornady 87gr sp varmint as well. Also 15 each of Sierra 100gr Prohunter and Hornady 80gr gmx. Need to spend some time in the shed now putting it all together!
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

interesting mix Cigar. Depends are you a believer in penetrate and blow up with full energy dumped in the chest or do you like a pass through and blood trail. My experience with the 87 gr berger is that the base will end up under the skin on the off side on larger animals but on smaller animals (Goats Fallow Hinds) you end up with a large and messy set of exit wounds.
    The 85 Grain GK will also blow up in the chest but the base holds together and is more likely to exit.
    I have not used the prohunter or gmx but would assume they would be better suited to deep penetration or tough game (pig shields) where the GK or Berger would require careful shot placement to get around the shield and penetrate vitals.
    Zane