Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By P38
  • 1 Post By Wildman

Thread: 250-3000 savage

250-3000 savage

Hi all just got my hands on a very nice Weatherby 250-3000 is there anywhere I can get ammo or am I better to get it rebarreled?

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiman View Post
    Hi all just got my hands on a very nice Weatherby 250-3000 is there anywhere I can get ammo or am I better to get it rebarreled?
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo @Kiwiman

Don't re-barrel it!

That's would be a heinous crime.

250-3000 is an awesome calibre.

Reload for it and Enjoy it's awesomeness.

I'm jealous.

Cheers
    Pete
    BRADS and Nick-D like this.

P38
    @Kiwiman

Outdoor Supplies have Winchester 250Savage (250-3000) listed on their website.

Winchester Ammunition - Hunting and Outdoor Supplies

Gun City too.
    250 Savage Winchester 100gr S/T

I'm sure others in NZ will have it too.

Cheers
    Pete

cool thanks for the links

Oldie but goodie, been around since 1915. Friends got an original savage takedown lever action in 250 savage, shit can it shoot rather have one of them than anything in 7/08

A Weatherby Whitetail Classic, I presume. Pretty rare model, built on the Varmintmaster action, now superseded by an extended version that takes .30-06 length rounds.

Performance of .243 Winchester with less barrel wear, noise and muzzle blast plus ... a much larger range of hunting projectiles. Winning all round!
    A good shot at close range beats a 'hit" at a longer range.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiman View Post
    A mate has recently acquired 2x 250 Savage chambered rifles. He has picked up brass and loaded ammo from various places, gunshops auctions etc. Imported a set of CH4 dies and also picked up a set of second hand RCBS dies locally at the same time. I am going to reload for him - looking fwd to playing with such a historic and capable cartridge. As others have said - do not rebarrel or rechamber, the world will open up an swallow you.

First centrefire i ever fired was my uncles 250 Savage....god that was a sweet rifle and boy does he regret selling it !

Couldn't you use 22-250 cases necked up? Lapua?
    shooternz likes this.

Gidday - I just gave my spare 250-3000 brass to someone else on the forum, and like my 250 too much to give away anymore . . . sorry. And 22-250 has a different shoulder angle, some people seem to get away with reforming it but I'd say you'd lose a few cases.

But 6.5 Creedmore brass of very high quality is available and I'd think it should size down in one go quite easily. I do have some 6.5 creedmore brass but I like that too and I've only 50 pieces (the Savage lightweight is the most accurate rifle I own, yes you naysayers can laugh but I don't care). I suppose I could be convinced to try an experiment if you are really committed - PM or email me. foveauxsailor@gmail.com

Cheers
    Foster

OK - so I decided not to be a miserable bugger and ran a 6.5 Creedmore case into the 250-3000 die, and with a trim it made 250-3000 brass. My rifle has a fairly tight chamber and I have a "shaved" case holder that I need to use with some brass, with the first pass through the die the reformed brass wouldn't chamber but a second go with the shaved case holder got it working fine.