Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 26mm Rings?

26mm Rings?

I have a vintage Kahles 2.5 scope I'm wantin g to mount on my Thompson Encore.
    It needs 26mm rings which I'm having trouble finding.
    Anyone have a set they would part with?
    Thanks

I've always wondered about the viability of having a 26mm lapping bar made up. There's very little to take off 1" rings for this.
    Moa Hunter, Kiwinomad and blip like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    I've always wondered about the viability of having a 26mm lapping bar made up. There's very little to take off 1" rings for this.
    Do you think a 25mm bar with one or two thicknesses of 'wet and dry' wrapped around it would work ?
    6x47 and Kiwinomad like this.

Have used Burris rings with nylon inserts successfully using 1" tube and "wet and dry"
    Grey Kiwi and Moa Hunter like this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    An easy option is to go to Aliexpress and buy any 30mm rings that also comes with 25.4mm plastic inserts. it will not look as streamlined but works without any additional effort.

I have a 1950s 26mm Kollmorgen Bear Cub Rifle scope that is in such a set up. I got the scope on a rifle that was made in about 1965.

Having said that, its previous owner had it mounted in a set of 25.4mm rings for more than 50 years and it did not seem to hurt it. i still got these rings too. clearly the wrong size (1inch).
    kristopher and Kiwinomad like this.

Hi Kiwinomad,
    I have exactly the same dilemma - I want to mount a Kahles 1.5 - 4.5 on my Thompson Encore. Have you had any luck yet? Are you wanting "see through" mounts so that you can still use the original optics as a backup? I currently have see through sights with a 1" 2 - 7 scope but it is overkill for the 444 marlin cal of my Encore. What cal is yours?

NO4
    couldn't you use 1" rings and run a adjustable hand reamer through them?
    shananah likes this.
    Hot Barrels and tight lines

Greetings,
    Finding old rings for 26mm scopes can be a minefield. Often they are for Parker Hale bases which varied in width over time. I have one set of rings that have been reamed out by someone but don't fit the bases on any of my rifles plus one that has a Pecar 6 power scope in it on my M38. To me the 30mm rings with the plastic inserts are probably the way to go.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    kristopher likes this.

The Burris rings with 0 inserts work. If youre concerned about crushing take to the outside of the inserts with sandpaper, but its not necessary. The original style Weaver 1" can be used if you fit them carefully and dont screw them up too tight. Again, if youre worried about crushing, you only need to "flatten" the top of the bottom of the ring set a tad so that the scope sits perfectly. Weaver also made the same original type rings in 26mm, but will take some finding. Or I have a set of Delrin inserts for 30mm rings down to 26. Barely noticeable unless you look closely, and to make it even tidier, trim off one end of the inserts so that they fit flush to the ring.
    Or, fit PH bases to your Thompson and use original PH26mm rings, theres a few sets floating around if you put the word out.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600#2 View Post
    Or I have a set of Delrin inserts for 30mm rings down to 26. Barely noticeable unless you look closely, and to make it even tidier.
    I also used the Delrin solution on a quality scope. Like you say not noticeable.
    https://www.brownells.lu/DELRIN-RING...4-084000093/en

Another thought is that some of these older scopes are reticle moving rather than image moving. This can need some lateral adjustment to keep the cross hairs from being of to one side. Can be lots of fun mounting old scopes.
    GPM.

Wilhelm arms and optics in Christchurch have Conetrol 26 mm rings and bases. Quite expensive. I can lap 1 inch rings up to 26 mm quite easily. Will check to see if I have any and will send them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Another thought is that some of these older scopes are reticle moving rather than image moving. This can need some lateral adjustment to keep the cross hairs from being of to one side. Can be lots of fun mounting old scopes.
    GPM.
    GPM I think the Kahles of the day, like my Nickel were image moving. Unlike the Pecar I had which was a maddening feature if you didn't have windage in the rings, as you have mentioned.

Have a pair of Buehler 26mm rings if you are interested. Have various Buehler bases of which sure can get to fit.
    shananah likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by garyp View Post
    Have a pair of Buehler 26mm rings if you are interested. Have various Buehler bases of which sure can get to fit.
    Gary's offer sounds like a good'un, but, if it doesn't work out, getting some 1" rings reamed out by someone with an adjustable reamer as mentioned by @NO4 above is certainly doable but take care not to fall into the trap of someone I knew of years ago that got this done. They tightened the rings right down & then reamed them. Upshot was, there was no clamping on their 26mm scope, so it is necessary to pack the rings a similar distance apart as they would be on a 1" scope before reaming them & then they'll have the correct clamping.
    kristopher likes this.