Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: The 270 Guys - they are a changin'

The 270 Guys - they are a changin'

For my sins I volunteer to open our local range for sighting in (a new venture for our "NRA" style range, a fairly innovative move for us fudds)

Its not really well patronised, which is good because there's not enough of me to handle any more than one or two casual shooters who have to be gently coached into following our range standing orders.

I've been a range officer (not continuously) for dammed close to 40 years. When I first started the guys would rock up with a nice scoped rifle and a packet of ammo and proceed to waste most of it, often going off with a flinch and not too much on paper. And haha as I recall the worst offenders were those with 270's.

Now I have to eat humble pie, over the last month I've had two guys rock up with 270's (one with a can and one without) and dammit, both rifles shot extremely well, and even better, the guys shot them well, both went home with perfectly zeroed rifles without using much ammo!.
    tetawa, Shearer, Mooseman and 3 others like this.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes...............

But a blind squirrel couldn't shoot a 270.

Remember thirty years ago telling an older guy at the range that my 270 was shooting an inch to the right so needed adjusting. He scoffed at me and told me I and the rifle wouldn't shoot straight enough to know that. So I showed the target to him. It grouped .75 MOA consistently which back then was pretty good. He wandered off to bother someone else without apologizing. Only time I ever noticed the recoil on mine was when I used souped up 150gns in it. Ah those were the days, when 270s with a 4x scope were what you used for longer shooting (up to 300m) and everything else was a 308 or 7x57. And people wore their hunting clothes out, and we walked to hunting spots (even with a heavy pack on!), we mostly hunted public land, and stalked closer if the deer was a wee way away, and we could find our way around in the bush without a GPS. They were definitely simpler times and to be frank I miss that a bit. On the flip side gear was heavy, there were stuff all deer about, you saw one tahr for a week long trip and we all suffered hearing loss due to no suppressors.
    nor-west, Brian, Tentman and 10 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    Remember thirty years ago telling an older guy at the range that my 270 was shooting an inch to the right so needed adjusting. He scoffed at me and told me I and the rifle wouldn't shoot straight enough to know that. So I showed the target to him. It grouped .75 MOA consistently which back then was pretty good. He wandered off to bother someone else without apologizing. Only time I ever noticed the recoil on mine was when I used souped up 150gns in it. Ah those were the days, when 270s with a 4x scope were what you used for longer shooting (up to 300m) and everything else was a 308 or 7x57. And people wore their hunting clothes out, and we walked to hunting spots (even with a heavy pack on!), we mostly hunted public land, and stalked closer if the deer was a wee way away, and we could find our way around in the bush without a GPS. They were definitely simpler times and to be frank I miss that a bit. On the flip side gear was heavy, there were stuff all deer about, you saw one tahr for a week long trip and we all suffered hearing loss due to no suppressors.
    You can still do all of those things - even fly camp if you want to....harder to find carparks that aren't full now, but nothings stopping you getting off the track and away from others if you set your mind to it....
    Bernie, Gibo, bumblefoot and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    Bet you walked 40 miles to school in bare feet too huh?
    veitnamcam and ebf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Bet you walked 40 miles to school in bare feet too huh?
    One of the lucky privileged ones who rode a horse to school...with bare feet of course.
    Gibo likes this.

No saddle either huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    But a blind squirrel couldn't shoot a 270.
    Yes he could, he'd just need to be really motivated, and also have the world's smallest set of ear protectors.
    Mooseman and Pixie Z like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

but you can shoot a blind squirrel in the nuts with a mighty twoseventy,the queen of mountain rifles.....
    Ive shot a mouse with mine
    rewa and Joe_90 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    but you can shoot a blind squirrel in the nuts with a mighty twoseventy,the queen of mountain rifles.....
    Ive shot a mouse with mine
    I'm guessing you had to shoot him a second time to finish him off humanely.
    GravelBen, Gibo, rewa and 1 others like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Was asked a while ago if a 270 would make a good LR rifle for shooting gongs out to 1500m. Told the guy the rifle was ok but carrying that extra weight was tiring........
    When he asked "What extra weight"? I told him that he would need to carry a metal detector and a full set of reloading gear so that after he fired the first shot he would have to walk about 100m downrange, use the metal detector to find the projectile, reload it, shoot again, walk another 100m and keep repeating the exercise until he got close enough to hit the gong.......................

He was not amused....

( I actually own a 270..........bought it in 2010.....never fired a shot from it)
    akaroa1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    I'm guessing you had to shoot him a second time to finish him off humanely.
    nope but we did roast his arse in the open fire LOL. heck the muzzle blast and concusion wave wouldve knocked it out if projectile had missed...

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Was asked a while ago if a 270 would make a good LR rifle for shooting gongs out to 1500m. Told the guy the rifle was ok but carrying that extra weight was tiring........
    When he asked "What extra weight"? I told him that he would need to carry a metal detector and a full set of reloading gear so that after he fired the first shot he would have to walk about 100m downrange, use the metal detector to find the projectile, reload it, shoot again, walk another 100m and keep repeating the exercise until he got close enough to hit the gong.......................

He was not amused....

( I actually own a 270..........bought it in 2010.....never fired a shot from it)
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    i suppose no worse than using a 12 gauge at six inch range and i got it too.
    How could you tell? there'd be no proof left.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20