Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By mawzer308
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby
  • 1 Post By mawzer308

Thread: .270 win or .257 wby,

.270 win or .257 wby,

Been on the hunt for a second barrel for my Blaser K95, (7x65),
    I've found 4 barrels, 7x57R octagonal, with sights, this is too close to what I have, and 3.6grand.
    a round barrel .270 win, no sights 1.8g
    a octagonal .257 Wby, with sights, 2.8g
    and a 8x68 round barrel, no sights for 1.8g, very limited ammo, recoil is likely brutal, but I am still interested.
    the .270 makes the most sense, but its a kissing cousin to the 7x65,
    I am leaning towards the .257 wby,
    Any how what's your thoughts, any one seen 8x68 ammo in NZ, or for that matter .257 wby,
    Its a pretty expensive barrel, but love the little rifle,
    selling up a dozen bolt actions, and working my way into a couple switch barrel rifles.

8x68 makes the most sense in terms of difference from the 7x65 and would deal to moose/bear better, but probably makes the least sense in terms of ammo availability.
    257 Weatherby is prob the best of those options, projectiles easy enough to get, not sure about the brass and dies. Factory is probably not easy to get.
    csmiffy and dannyb like this.

Have shot an 8x68, a classic Mannlicher and found it no different than most other bigger bores. Easily manageable and great on game. I'd be trying that, but hey, the 257 certainly has a lot of legs for them long shots.

Need to reload for either really.

Gunworks have 2x packets of Norma 257 mag brass, about $140 a packet.

if yo uare going to have to reload anyway..the 8mm option isnt totally dumb,you do not have to load it up hotter than a hot thing.... absolutely no reason it cant be loaded down to much more mild level but still give you worthwhile gain/different terminal preformance to what youve already got.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Currently own a .270 and used to own a 257wby which took 15 odd deer, the ballistics are very similar. I probably wouldn't own one again, certainly very effective on game but hard on the barrel and alot of powder for same ballistics as 270. Very fast initially and creates alot of damage, more so than the 270 out to about 250m, but looses it's legs fairly quickly.
    Micky Duck likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Currently own a .270 and used to own a 257wby which took 15 odd deer, the ballistics are very similar. I probably wouldn't own one again, certainly very effective on game but hard on the barrel and alot of powder for same ballistics as 270. Very fast initially and creates alot of damage, more so than the 270 out to about 250m, but looses it's legs fairly quickly.
    The 115 Nbt and 115 Vld changes that. Run the ballistics on a properly loaded 115 Berger in a 24" Wby.
    csmiffy likes this.

but then compare apples with apples and give the mighty .270w the same advantages INCLUDING longer barrel LOL.....

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    but then compare apples with apples and give the mighty .270w the same advantages INCLUDING longer barrel LOL.....
    Nope, I reckon it was you yesterday, and you got concussion doing it. .270 Wby maybe.........
    csmiffy likes this.

nah shot fallow today with trebly....too wet n cold t ocall in for cuppa...and no it wasnt Mr hush hush either.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    nah shot fallow today with trebly....too wet n cold t ocall in for cuppa...and no it wasnt Mr hush hush either.
    Wanted to go prospecting today, wish I had, at least the survey so far shows the area supports the required minerals. Pan and shovel at the ready, I have a mission.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    The 115 Nbt and 115 Vld changes that. Run the ballistics on a properly loaded 115 Berger in a 24" Wby.
    Yeah I did play with that, still not spectacular. Now a 1-8 twist and the 135gr pills would be worthwhile.
    Moa Hunter likes this.