Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 284 on Husky action

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I have a spare CF2 action that would be perfect for a 280 project. Plenty of length, great trigger and feed. Will fit into a Rem 700 blind stock. PM me if interested.
    Regarding recoil. I have a 270 with a Bell and Carlson Kevlar stock. That stock, because of the soft Kevlar absorbs recoil to where it feels like shooting a 222.
    Interesting that stock...reading Mooseman's posts a 270 with superperformance and the ELDX is a serious option...

two things to TRY ....down load the 7mm mag either go slower or lighter both will reduce felt recoil no end.
    weight the stock........piece of piss to chuck some lead up her bum and fix it firmly in place....take off recoil pad and poke say half a pound of lead up there then fill with expandite foam,put but plate back on and go to range....
    if you go to 7x anything or .280 or .284 somethingorother you are still using same barrel size just different amount of powder/velocity...you can do it with the 7mm mag
    and for what its worth your 6.5x55 will kill stuff and do so well,feed it good loads and know where its going and it will do the job just fine........the creedmore crowd keep spoofing on about how good it is and your old girl was doing it before the designers of the newby even got out of daddies ballsack.
    if your 7mm mag hasnt got a top notch recoil pad GET ONE NOW.
    do all of the above and your rifle will be a pussy to shoot,no reason you cant down load it to just above 7mm/08 speed and dual load it so youve got gentle/mild loads for sub 200 stuff and more potent load for the occasional long shot.
    Fisherman and csmiffy like this.

GWH: could give a few details about your Tikka M595 in 284? M595 is a shorter action rifle - doesn't that cause a few problems with the magazine and the 284 cartridge, etc?

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    GWH: could give a few details about your Tikka M595 in 284? M595 is a shorter action rifle - doesn't that cause a few problems with the magazine and the 284 cartridge, etc?
    Yes you are correct, the m595 is a short action. It was a 7mm08 that has been rechambered.

I run 150 NBT as a mag fit load. Pushing them at 2970 fps super accurately from the 22" barrel.

I can run 162 Amax seated long as single feed at around 2900 no problem. But the 150 NBT at almost 3k seem to have worked bloody well.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Yes you are correct, the m595 is a short action. It was a 7mm08 that has been rechambered.

I run 150 NBT as a mag fit load. Pushing them at 2970 fps super accurately from the 22" barrel.

I can run 162 Amax seated long as single feed at around 2900 no problem. But the 150 NBT at almost 3k seem to have worked bloody well.
    So there is a gunsmith out there who will rechamber used barrels?...as I said TruFlite wont do it

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    So there is a gunsmith out there who will rechamber used barrels?...as I said TruFlite wont do it
    Yes, Gunworks did my T3 and have done heaps of others. I believe they are not currently doing them tho, as rechambering Tikka barrels is hard work, something to do with the type of Stainless they use. Sounds like they buggered a couple of tikka barrels.

I have seen Dean Maisey saying that he will rechamber factory barrels to 284, he does fine work.
    Fisherman likes this.

Was discussing my 284 plans with Dean a couple of weeks ago and he said it can be done but it's not always easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Was discussing my 284 plans with Dean a couple of weeks ago and he said it can be done but it's not always easy.
    Good comment Bobba...(Dean Maisey is a good bastard (despite))...
    and its always going to be a bitch to not be able to pop one in the top.

The truth is that old Husqvarna was made before the first TV arrived on our street, and just after we got our first fridge.
    It would be a crime to take of an original barrel that shoots ragged holes and replace it with something new made easy...
    I might finish fitting it in that gorgeous (fucked up) piece of walnut and see how far away I can kill things with the 147 ELDX...

I'm thinking SAUM on the Tikka...loaded really mild...cheers...Chris