Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 284 win vs 280ai

Banned
    It's a bit shitty for the longies. Sweet for regular cup and core

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    so just to clarify a 284 will be ok in a short action ? just pondering something at the moment
    They are a bit tight man. Won't be able to run any of the long heavies which is where the 284 really shines. Really are better suited to a long action. Fine if you want to mag load a 140gr soft point and single load anything with a good bc

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    They are a bit tight man. Won't be able to run any of the long heavies which is where the 284 really shines. Really are better suited to a long action. Fine if you want to mag load a 140gr soft point and single load anything with a good bc
    so partitions would be ok ? if so out how far ish ?
    #DANNYCENT

To clarify, barrel is 24" and carbon fiber. Dont think it would take to well to shortening! Haha I was going 284 as i have dies and brass already. I also love the caliber. It will be unbraked. I love the go fast pointy projectiles and was looking to shoot in the 170 range. Eldm, tmk etc. I can always sell dies and brass and change but I'm a big fan of 284.
    Steelisreal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    To clarify, barrel is 24" and carbon fiber. Dont think it would take to well to shortening! Haha I was going 284 as i have dies and brass already. I also love the caliber. It will be unbraked. I love the go fast pointy projectiles and was looking to shoot in the 170 range. Eldm, tmk etc. I can always sell dies and brass and change but I'm a big fan of 284.
    Sounds like you've answered your own question! Go for it ��
    stevodog likes this.

Banned
    I had a Winnie with extended box. Think mag fit was right on 3inches. (I think) I shot 150gr sgk and 160gr speer btsp

Yeah they are pretty stubby so should be fine. Will get them moving along if you keep a bit of barrel to work with.

Greetings All,
    I would recommend against forming .280 AI cases from anything other than .280 Rem. The head space dimension for .280 Rem cases is about .050 inches (1.25 mm) longer than the other .30-06 based cases which will be stretched badly in fire forming. While it can be done by necking up to .33 cal and necking down to 7mm again this is not worth the bother. The head space on the .280 was increased to stop people (Americans that don't read labels) chambering the .280 in a loose .270 with predictable results. The same thing was done with the 7 mm WSM for the same reasons. Unfortunately when the .280 was renamed the 7 mm Express the same people chambered it in the 7mm Rem Mag, a startling but not as dangerous. Best to use the right cases to start with.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Bill999 likes this.

Some good information here - particularly my contribution obviously
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....chester-57681/
    stevodog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    I had a Winnie with extended box. Think mag fit was right on 3inches. (I think) I shot 150gr sgk and 160gr speer btsp
    My M70 284 built on short action with mag spacer removed gives you 3.1 mag length.

Banned
    Sweet, what pills do you use in it Bobba?

So where does the 7x64 fit in this discussion. Sako and tikka both chamber it, the barrel twist of a factory 7 x 64 will allow you to throw heavies also. The case capacity, velocity of the round is equivalent to the e .284, and brass and dies are available off the shelf from norma, lapua, geco, rws etc
    Moa Hunter likes this.

7x64 is ballistic equivalent of the 280.

Yep, despite having a decidedly average BC the 150 or 160 gn partitions launched at something around 2800 fps will perform very well out to 500 yards or so. The front end is pretty frangible so even at longer distances it going to be an emphatic killer, and the back end hangs together to provide plenty of punch through up close or far. Given the crappy bc your wind reading ability needs to be pretty good.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Banned
    so just to clarify a 284 will be ok in a short action ? just pondering something at the moment
    Have you considered a standard Mauser action ? the 7x57 8x57 (57mm) cases are longer than a 308 and shorter than a 3006 so the mauser is a med length. Or rather than a 284 what about a 7x57 AI which is a perfect case capacity to bore diam. Just get a 7mil and ream it AI
    Micky Duck and Klhari like this.