Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: 30 06

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by marron View Post
    I have Bern shooting 222, 22-250, 6,5x55, 7x57, 308, 300win mag, 338 win mag.
    All have been fine calibers but today i have only 30.06.
    I can reload ammunition to shoot all kind of game i will see in europe.
    Welcome to the forum marron.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Thx - I live in Denmark so I hope You Will forgive bad spelling and gramma errors.
    I find it interesting to see how people live and hunt on the other side of the Earth

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Cheers for the offer but hardly worth it for the amount it gets used.
    Hey, if you like the TTSX's, and want velocity, try the 110 TTSX, in my heavy barrel 20" 308 I can get 3375 if I ignore the pressure signs, backed off to 3300, pressure signs gone and half to three quarter'' accuracy, out to 300 yards, kills just as fast as the 130, but they start falling outa the sky after that, but you do gotta use the right powder, 2208 no good to me in a short barrel, but in a 3006 might be good, would like to see how fast a 110 could go in a 3006, the little fuckers kill like a lightning strike at 200- who needs a 270!.............

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marron View Post
    Thx - I live in Denmark so I hope You Will forgive bad spelling and gramma errors.
    I find it interesting to see how people live and hunt on the other side of the Earth
    Welcome mate.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I have 2,Ruger 77Mkll RLS and a custom Mauser with a 24'' Douglas barrel the Ruger boots a bit as has a 18.5'' barrel and is just 7Lbs the Mauser is a real pussy to shoot so the rifle and not the calibre makes most of the difference. Both have made most things that they were aimed at lie down and wait for the trip to the freezer. I think that that 30-06 is not that popular as the mainstream media in this country have written about the latest and greatest for as long as the importers have had $ to place ads for the newest thing on their shelves. Just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    As i said earlyer am interested in what sort of speeds people are/can get from a modern 06 with reloading. Factory ammo has to be down for all those old rifles out there and look what can be achieved perfectly safely with good case life in its little brother the 08.
    I get 3032 av for 5 shots with 150 interlocts using 54.5 gr of IMR4064. Everything died quick. I have now gone to 165 gr interlocts an AR2209. No great difference in results on animals I just wanted to play around with the same powder I use in the 260

I went from interlock to interbond. I think the interlock make too large exit wound. Interbond also have a better balistic coefficient.
    Don't know if You can use my reloading data. I use Norma 204 and 203 B in my 30.06.

over 100 years old and today it is better than ever

the 30-06 Springfield is over 100 years old and because of modern powders, components, and bullets it is better than ever. the 150 grain pills are within an inch of the .270 at practical ranges and it kills like lighting.
    it handles 180 grain and 200 grain better than a .308 because the brass case is a tad larger. ammo is available worldwide. it just plain works. the recoil is a bit more than a .308, but not much more. an enjoyable article
    on the versatility of the cartridge is as follows:

American Rifleman | No Ordinary Rifle

or google .... American rifleman harry Selby no ordinary rifle

the article chronicles the use of a plain ordinary Remington M722 30-06 spr. used in numerous African safaris over a good many years. the title could be "no ordinary caliber". the 30-06 was used to take all manner of antelope, plus leopards, lions, and even a cape buffalo. it is a very good article and is as much about Harry Selby's bush craft and game knowledge and shot placement as anything else.

Cool article bill f. I like the 30/06. Will rebarrel my Howa .270 in a few years time, or perhaps just buy one, team it up with a .243 and I'll be covered. Actually will need to add a .416 then totally sorted

My next calibre. Anyone have a Ruger Hawkeye (SS) in 30-06 they are interested in selling please PM ?

That would be an excellent combo Puffin.

I started hunting in Fiordland with a .30-06 (sporterised Garand) in 1967 and still use two. A Husqvarna with an 8x56 Zeiss for open country, and my custom-made M17 long range rifle with a mildot 6-24 Sightron SIII for 1000 metre shooting. For bush and similar shorter range hunting I have a Remington Model 7 in .308 with a 3-9 Leupold. Having said that, I have still shot more animals with a .303 than the others combined, as I started out with one in 1963 and was commercially shooting with it in 1966 when the choppers were just starting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    How many moose did you shoot?
    I was shooting in upper half of the South Island in those days so they were fairly safe. The only moose I have seen were dead and hanging on a wall (the last one was in the Swazi shop in Levin).
    Grim likes this.

Hey, I'm with you Tussock! In addition to my collection of classic firearms I also like classic cars. I sold my '81 Camaro recently and bought an '04 HSV GTO coupe, but I am happiest in my '91 GMC 350 stepside pickup (although I use a 3 litre HiLux for hunting).
    Danny likes this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    @gimp take heed. This is an example of a man of both function (3L hilux) but also substance and culture.

It can't be all be powder coated synthetic glowing dots. The world needs the smell of leather and the shimmer of hand oiled walnut. A fine animal deserves a respectful end from a tool with dignity, not a mechano set.

Messages Gimp: "Oi I'm trolling you" off the forum, stupid @ things not doing their job
    Just use the word Fail in a sentence and you will hear his retort

Decent bluing and timber
    BRADS and john m like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!