Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: 30 06

mmhmm

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Just use the word Fail in a sentence and you will hear his retort

Decent bluing and timber
    whats the details on the 22, looks like something i need
    veitnamcam likes this.

Caretaker

30 06

CZ452 american with a Leupold 3-9-40 on it and a 5 baffle DPT

Seriously quiet with subs, tames the crack of powerpoints as well.

100yrd zero with 42g powerpoints
    50yrd zero with 42g win subs

A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I bought a CZ 223 yesterday, another wood/blue no plastic job
    Took it and the 06 out for a run , the 06 easily shot inside the Cz.
    mind you the CZ was only 20 rds old and I had no reloads a only factory hornady.
    Grim likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

*You're
    kiwijames and Steveh054 like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Something a man like @jakewire or @Carlsen Highway understands, that a lad like @gimp just can't grasp is there is a place in the world for a wood blued 30 calibre rifle like there is a place in the world for whiskey and firm women. In his constant pursuit of cold graceless function he has lost sight of the warmth and lustre of polished walnut next to an open fire. He is blind to the depth of deep bluing. But most of all he does not understand that 30-06 is a mans chambering. It does not need technical perfection any more than a classic muscle car needs to race a boy racer up a winding rode. Sure, the boy racer with his technofabulous car wants to race, and he might win, but the guy in the muscle car reclining on leather seats with the deep hum of his engine does not care. He is not looking to win a race to be happy, he already is.

Attachment 40504
    Highway and Elliott, Cullers Bivvy ca.2004
    You ruined it with the Woman's Weekly or whatever rag in the background if you're trying for any credit.
    Grim, veitnamcam, Pointer and 4 others like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    CZ452 american with a Leupold 3-9-40 on it and a 5 baffle DPT

Seriously quiet with subs, tames the crack of powerpoints as well.

100yrd zero with 42g powerpoints
    50yrd zero with 42g win subs

Your wife has lovely hands
    Pointer, kiwijames, BRADS and 2 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    You ruined it with the Woman's Weekly or whatever rag in the background if you're trying for any credit.
    Pretty much what I was thinking; should have selected something less glossy for arse wipes.
    veitnamcam and BRADS like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I got a sako a7 in 3006 and bloody love it nice and light to carry kills wat ever gets in its way
    It likes the Winchester ammo tho 3 bucks a pill

here is a really good article. it makes a lot of sense:

https:gunsamerica.com/blog/ross-seyfried-busting-the-magnum-myth

in case I did not do this correctly just google ross seyfried busting the magnum myth....guns America......you will find it and it is a very enjoyable article that full of practical information
    about ordinary calibers I.E. 30-06....270win....308win... getting the job done at a lower cost and without a lot of fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    8><---
    The reality is it is a good chambering but just not in fashion this decade.
    Been reading up on it actually and its spec makes it sort of magnum like before the term was coined. Yet I know 7mm magnums are popular in NZ, presumably by those with more money than math.....

/me runs and hides..........
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Interesting read with some good banter. The poor old 30 06 has been a bit forgotten but is still very useful if your not after a magnum but still want to shoot a heavy bullet.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

The cartridge and firearms industry relies upon hyping the new the latest and greatest ti gin up sales. Despite this solid performers like the 30-06, 270, 308, etc. prove to be completely sufficient to bring home the bacon year by year. Its all physics and there is no free lunch. A 30-06 best the latte 7mm-08 in every practical way, but the recoil is about 20% more. I don't know too many outdoorsmen who in the field who can capitize on a 1" flatter tragetory at 200 yards.
    I can see of no advantage of the 7mm-08 vs the 308. The only advantage the 06 has over the 308 is if you need to shoot 180 to 200 gr. Bullets. I can't see where the 130 gr 270 outshines the 150 gr. 30-06.......they both are good.
    john m likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Interesting read with some good banter. The poor old 30 06 has been a bit forgotten but is still very useful if your not after a magnum but still want to shoot a heavy bullet.
    Not up here (Canada) be the most recommended rifle cal by far, mind you there are bigger animals and sum with teeth and claws, five bear attatcks so far this hunting season, at I know of two run in with cats, (couger), 3006 till very strong in places. perhaps not Nz, but its likely heavier that need for most deer, waps and samber is a good choice.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuidog View Post
    ... I'm considering using a softer 150 gr projectile once I run out of the woodies, I think they are a little too hard for small deer.
    Try the Hornady Interlock 150 SP - the flat base one not the boat tail.

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!