Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 30 cal magnum musings

Not a Magnum but have you considered a 30 Gibbs or a 30-06AI?
    Would be an easier conversion without having to open up the bolt face and still shoot around 3000fps with a 180gr

@Cooper I have a choice of bolts. I have a single shot 308 bolt that has the head with a ring built up all around the face for target shooting. I believe it was done by Din Collings.
    Or I have a standard P14 bolt that will take a magnum sized case head. If and when it gets rechambered they can headspace to that bolt.

couple of pics of the barrel. 26" from the edge of the action to the tip of the muzzle.
    had some yips with the cleaning rod method measuring the twist but its 1-11 I reckon not 1-12
    Considering it was allegedly done by Din Collings, could we surmise the other markings represented Collings and Brady 12/ 1968?

Name:  308 barrel (1).jpg
Views: 223
Size:  4.44 MB

Name:  308 barrel (2).jpg
Views: 201
Size:  4.43 MB

Greetings Again,
    C&B would be Collings and Brady and 1 in 11 inch twist. I've seen stamping like that on a barrel Din fitted in the 90's. Your description of the alterations to the bolt face sounded just like mine. I also remembered there was a name on mine. John Wilkes 7046. It meant nothing to me and google did not turn anything up. The action has been converted to single shot with a fat plate soldered on. Would like to know more. I will try some pics tomorrow.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    csmiffy likes this.

just the action on mine @grandpamac no plate. The stock that came with it isn't the one it was on.
    I also may've put it the wrong way about the length. It is only 25" from muzzle to bolt face.
    As an aside the acquaintance that is doing my 243 loads has told me he has some 308 norma cases. Wasn't sure how many but he is going to check. Maybe its a sign?
    Last edited by csmiffy; 05-04-2020 at 03:18 PM.