Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 300 BLK AR Replacement - Plan B iteration #27

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Ha - I did have a good look at your 308 but . . . for a start my suppressor won't fit (the Lightweight barrel is too slim). I bet it shoots well though, I had the one that floated round the forum for ages and it shot "lights out"
    Would swap suppressors , wifeys 7,62x39 needs one.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Howa Mini rifles are available in .300BLK and were going to be in the country within a few months, that may have changed with possible law changes and general confusion however. They are also making the Howa Mini in .224 Valkyrie if I remember right, already on the market in the US.

With a bolt gun you can make up some proper bunny fart loads for 300BLK. Quieter than equivalent 308 subs will be. 308 has lots more case capacity and a case full of Trail Boss produces a greater volume of gas than the tiny amount of AP70/AP100 that you can get away with in the BLK does. Slightly more consistent too since the powder's used more efficiently.
    tikka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    Howa Mini rifles are available in .300BLK and were going to be in the country within a few months, that may have changed with possible law changes and general confusion however. They are also making the Howa Mini in .224 Valkyrie if I remember right, already on the market in the US.
    Hmm the balk would make a mean midrange goat buster or target gun. Like that idea

I think I'm going to go 7.62x39, I've got a Howa Mini set aside at a LGS but have to decide by close of play tomorrow. Its got just a smidge more oomph an the BLK, enough I feel to be effective on Red's out to 180-200M - it looks like with CFE-BLK powder 2500+ fps can be gotten in a bolt gun with 125gn projectiles.

Several guys in the States have written up reports on using 308 dia projectiles in the CZ or Howa's .310 bore with excellent accuracy results which offers a wider range of projectile choice. To cap it off Nosler are producing a ballistic tip boat tail 123gn speciffically designed for 7.62x39. I think I'm talking myself into it . . . .
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PommyMcPomFace View Post
    With a bolt gun you can make up some proper bunny fart loads for 300BLK. Quieter than equivalent 308 subs will be. 308 has lots more case capacity and a case full of Trail Boss produces a greater volume of gas than the tiny amount of AP70/AP100 that you can get away with in the BLK does. Slightly more consistent too since the powder's used more efficiently.
    Why would you fill up the case with Trail Boss @PommyMcPomFace ? In my 308 7.5 grain is going at 1065fps.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

@Boar Freak, yeah but with what bullet? Takes more than 7.5gr to drive a 200-220gr at that speed.

X amount of powder produces Y amount of pressure in a 308 case. Takes less X to produce Y in 300BLK because it's so much smaller, all else being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by PommyMcPomFace View Post
    @Boar Freak, yeah but with what bullet? Takes more than 7.5gr to drive a 200-220gr at that speed.

X amount of powder produces Y amount of pressure in a 308 case. Takes less X to produce Y in 300BLK because it's so much smaller, all else being equal.
    Am shooting the 151 casts, works well for what I need it (culling goats) never tried the 200. For bigger animals I go back to standard loads mainly because the chance of a 450+ shot that wouldn't work with any kind of .30 cal sub.