Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 300 Win Mag or 300WSM?

300 Win Mag or 300WSM?

I understand that there's nothing much in it balistically (that a deer would notice anyway) between the two calibres, and there would be a weight difference in the same model of rifle (in this example a Kimber Montana) with the Win Mag being heavier due to longer action length, but that aside anyone have a view on either calibre?

I'm not a reloader, so for the foreseeable its factory ammo for me. Looking around the shops and online, there is more choice and availability in Win Mag with the WSM being a less common cartridge, which lends me to favour the Win Mag.

I know action length is a factor, but that is something that I can get familiar with either way.

I guess my sticking point is if I'm not reloading my own rounds, is a WSM a more bespoke rifle best left to reloaders? Or is it simple a matter of bulk buying WSM rounds to avoid having to be on the search for more due to supply problems when i start running low.

My understanding is wsms are harder on barrels

Factory WSM ammo not a lot more than WM. Especially if it’s just shooting the odd deer. I find WSM recoils slightly different, bit shorter and sharper. But if you’re just shooting the odd deer, you’re not going to notice it. Also, are you set on a magnum cartridge? Are the ranges you’re shooting going to warrant the need for one? Nothing wrong with just wanting one just because, but a lot of the time people get by just fine without a magnum cartridge, less recoil, lower cost etc

I have had both and currently have a win Mag. Ballisticlly no real difference. If you compared a Win Mag and WSM say in Tikka the weight difference would be minimal. Some don't like the belt on the case so would favour the WSM. Factory ammo would favour the Win Mag. Both will do the same job so it's really up to the individual which one you choose.
    Dublin likes this.

Banned
    From guys siting in at my place and also shooting them on the hill, both are bloody loud with a big pressure wave so both need a suppressor.
    The Wsm is better from what I have seen - uses less powder for the same velocity with bullets less than 180's and so is easier to suppress and keep light.
    chainsaw likes this.

Both will get the job done, but .300WM comes into its own with 200+ grain projectiles.

I have a 26” .300WM that throws 208 ELD-Ms at 2980fps, which a .300WSM will not do. .300WSM is more efficient with shorter barrels and will be lighter and handier, but both need a brake or moderator.

That said, I don’t think either are necessary for NZ hunting. Get what you want, but the range of 6.5 and 7mm high BC projectiles and efficient, lower recoiling cartridges will stop anything, use less powder (which is a factor these in these times of shortages) and burn through barrels more slowly.

I have 2 magnum rifles and almost always take my .284 Win out of the safe.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

If I had to choose one of the two it would probably be the wsm. Get a shorter handier action and finding ammo can’t be any harder then the wm given how popular and common they are. Run good if you decide to shorten barrel and make a handier rifle too.

My WSM is pushing the 200gr ELD X at 2940fps. Not much in it really when considering the 2. At the end of the day you really need to consider action length, short or long? That will decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Both will get the job done, but .300WM comes into its own with 200+ grain projectiles.

I have a 26” .300WM that throws 208 ELD-Ms at 2980fps, which a .300WSM will not do. .300WSM is more efficient with shorter barrels and will be lighter and handier, but both need a brake or moderator.

That said, I don’t think either are necessary for NZ hunting. Get what you want, but the range of 6.5 and 7mm high BC projectiles and efficient, lower recoiling cartridges will stop anything, use less powder (which is a factor these in these times of shortages) and burn through barrels more slowly.

I have 2 magnum rifles and almost always take my .284 Win out of the safe.
    Custom chambers are where WSM and WM really shine.
    https://youtu.be/HqdLHvXos4U
    220 gr Berger doing 2950fps with 27” barrel, admittedly hitting start of pressure but when dropped back 2 grains, still hitting 2850fps.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    My WSM is pushing the 200gr ELD X at 2940fps. Not much in it really when considering the 2. At the end of the day you really need to consider action length, short or long? That will decide.
    mines pushing same projectle @ 2800ish with mild load and 20 inch barrel. it could go harder with different powder but nothing has walked away so far so its good enough for me
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Mines not loaded to max but I am using RL17.

First question “what is your main intended use?”
    And 2nd questions ....
    Hunting ? Bush or tops ? Or mix? Multi day missions ? Truck hunting ? Target species ? Reds? Tahr? Fallow ? What range are you expecting to shoot on animals?

If mostly using for hunting and you plan on lugging it around the hills on foot then go WSM. You can buy or build a light weight shorter bbl wsm that will cover most hunting situations out to sensible ranges ( 600 - 700 yds). However you need to bear in mind recoil and muzzle blast with any 300 magnum and your ability to shoot accurately in that scenario, and more so with light weight set ups.

The WM comes into its own with the heavy weight high BC pills now available but to get the best from these you need a 26in bbl and reload. The weight and length of the WM to me makes it pretty unattractive to hump around the hills, let alone bush bashing with it.

Have owned both but now only WSM. Recoil and muzzle blast on WSM is more tolerable, but for either you need a good can or brake. Brake better for taming recoil but ups the noise and blast. The recoil on WSM is shorter/sharper but still preferable to the WM in my experience. The muzzle blast on most WMs I’ve been close to when fired is “unpleasantness”
    I run 180 Berger EH in my WSM with Hyb100V doing 3040 fps 24in bbl, that will cover everything out to 800 yds or more if you wanted.

Have you thought about the good ol 3006?
    jakewire and Micky Duck like this.

My .30/06 runs 168 grain BTHP at 2950 fps in a 26" barrel with AR2213SC.

Had both currently have an r93 win mag with carbon stock. 3000fps with 200eldx 24". No brake or suppressor but right on the manageable limit.... uncomfortable if you are not used to it
    outdoorlad likes this.

Dirty -06 pushing 180grn slippery projectile wont give up much ....and surely wont be much less on animals. with modern projectiles and powders the old girl which has always worked well,can do so even more now.