Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 303 Mark II (A) Jungle Carbine question.

A Good No5 (I assume you mean?) should be quite a bit cheaper at the auction than TM, pay particular attention to the barrel. They are also not very accurate or much fun to shoot so I'd wonder why you want one?
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I removed the lug because it was always bloody catching on scrub. This gun was my main weapon when pig hunting, was a tool, not a safe Queen or a collectors piece for me. Sold it a few years ago, wished I hadn't as it was bloody handy at times.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

"No 4 NZ Bush Carbine priced at $650.00" no such thing, its pile of crap, avoid, its not a "real" enfield its something someone has chopped up.

787061159 No4 mk1 LB, doesnt look to bad, but bore doesnt sound to great, what are you going to do with it?

militaria.co.nz, up around the 1320s there are some no4s and no5s.

Thanks again, great advice. Very much appreciated. Steven the main interest in the military rifles is to join the wellington service rifle association and shoot them. Lol. My interest in these rifles is also based on the history etc but not so much to collect, look and polish but to put rounds down range. Have been looking at the normal stuff, Mosin Nagant, Mauser k98 etc, but seem to keep getting drawn back towards the Lee Enfields. From what I have seen in the catalog of the wellington auction coming up most of the Lee Enfields are set around $250.00 to $350.00' but if course depends on the day. Lol and who's got the most coin. I would prefer to keep costs under $500.00 and would have thought I could get quite a nice clean rifle for around this. Problem I have is that due to experience or lack off should I say, I would be buying on how nice it looks instead of specifics, barrel etc. I keep reading comments regarding barrels etc, pitting, and scale 1 to 10, see a lot of people saying barrel condition around 6 or 7' what is regarded as a do not touch to yea that's ok. Lmao

WSRA is what I have just started to do. Up until now I have just shot prone long range at Trentham but my eyesight has deteriorated a lot in 18months so 500~600yds is becoming impossible with peep sights for me, hence WSRA which I am enjoying.

NB auction estimates bear no relation to reality, whether the gun is good or utterly stuffed its listed as $250~$350....LOL.

In this case a no5 jungle carbine is not my first choice or advice but go with what you want is the important thing. There are also issues with the no4s and no5s regarding accuracy, brass case life and receiver strength. The SMLE's are also a pain in the ass frankly not for WSRA I'd suggest. The ones I would look at are the No3s (Pattern 14s) items 1331 and 1332 (in particular 1332), these dont chew brass and are very strong actions being based on the Mauser but slower to fire than the no4s/5s.

Otherwise std no4s items; 1317 no, its marked DP (drill purpose only) so not fit to fire, might be OK for parts, a big might so worth maybe $50. 1318, (but it doesnt say matching bolt which is critical to safety, check it mght be matching), 1323 would be a target gun so not as issued probably, might be great for Threntham but not for WSRA due to its bedding, suggest you avoid. 1325, um no, rusty bore. 1326, 1327, 1328, maybe (probably not bore needing cleaning is a bad sign sometimes), 1329, looks positive "metalwork with most finish" tends to indicate hardly used), 1330, maybe, might be a tragte gun though so avoid if so. First thing, look at the overall condition and check the muzzle rifling carefully, if the rifling is gone or faint, walk away. I'd expect these to be $400ish if they are good and worth buying. For the No5s, actually they look good, 1334 looks good, 1335 very good, 1336, ditto, 1337 OK, 1338, OK (a bolt spring is easy and cheap if that is all it is) and more like $500 maybe $600 but for a good one I'd pay it having learned the expensive way on trying to refurb guns.

1309 to 1316 is the old stuff and honestly its a minefield on buying a pre no1 mk3 (SMLE) and getting parts, ouch, that is real expert territory on those and not me.

Nagants, well the M44s which are the shorties and can be got in good nick for $400, and I mean FTR'd (Factory through repair) and never re-issued good nick. If you want a carbine do consider these, I like my one. After ww2 dated guns are well made IMHO, I wouldn't go near a gunshitty full length nagant made during ww2, rough as.

Take a small LED torch to look at the muzzle, the light in the auction room isnt that great. Take an empty case and ask if you can cycle it to make sure the bolt will close, Ive come across guns frequently enough that wont in these auctions indicating a serious problem. If you have go and no go gauges even better. I will be there on Friday evening having a look to see if anything is worth bothering with.

If you are going to reload use light/min loads, 38grain ADI 2208 max for WSRA. Dont load up, the no4 action stretches with hot loads and the brass wont last long. It is also of dubious strength and flexes in the wooden stock badly when loaded hot and accuracy can go awol (been there done that). No3s (pattern 1914) can be loaded hotter OK and they done destroy brass fast. So 38grain 2208 seems reliable, stable, safe and the brass lasts a long time.
    Scouser likes this.

Fuk Steven, great post, ontoit buddy......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Steven, what I can I say, that is frickn awesome mate. I will note all the auction listings you have selected and definitely stick to your suggestions. I may have to re-read all that a few times but again cannot thank u enough. Obviously will have to save a few more dollars than first thought, but all good. Thanks again.

res
    Good to see WSRA getting some more new blood.

While I'm a raving Lee Enfeild fanboy, keep ammo cost in mind for service shoots.
    If you shoot most months with the odd practice shoot throwen in then over say two years you would probably be better if $ wise buying a cheep AR due the the ammo cost. A 20" ranger from guncity would be just over a grand more than a Jungle Carbine.

A p14 as said would give you better brass life if you do stay with .303

A sks would also do as a cheep starter rife that had cheep ammo.

Personally I use a m4gary ar and a Lee enfeild No4 mk2 for most of Wsra shoots

The No4 mk2 is the best 303 ever made in my opinion and even better,you can still get brand spankin new ones
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks Res, noted. I must admit I am a keen AR lover also, as well as the WW1, WW2 rifles. Realise that the Jungle Carbine is probably not suited for WSRA shoots. I must admit However i do like the look of the Mark1/No4 and again noting everyone's comments regarding brass etc may look to go in this direction. Their is one on trade me at the moment that I am watching, the seller has noted the barrell 7 out of 10 but to be honest I would not no if thats good or not ?.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    787061159 No4 mk1 LB, doesnt look to bad, but bore doesnt sound to great, what are you going to do with it?
    Steven, any further suggestions on this a Trade Me rifle, or specific questions I can throw at the seller. Thanks

res
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    Mmmm That's good news , I too have a No 4 mk2 . I want to get into this target shooting of service rifles ( I have a few ) but we are moving to Invers soon ( hope they do it there )
    There are service shoots run in Dunedin fairly regularly at the Bruce bay club.
    Or if you can get a few people together nzsra will help you run a shoot anywhere
    Using Tapatalk