Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By bunji
  • 1 Post By bunji
  • 1 Post By Ranger 888

Thread: .325 WSM

.325 WSM

Anybody got a .325 WSM? Pm me if you would- have a query for you.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Kiwi Greg had one many years ago, from memory he didn't really like it as the 8mm projectiles weren't very good killers.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

@Philipo interesting how results can differ with different blokes & different load styles ,l picked up a Kimber 325 WSM for a price l could not refuse from a client in Africa,l did not particularly want or need one but could not knock it back for the price he offered me.

I had great success with the caliber on every thing from Hog Deer to Buffalo & they were pretty popular among guides when the Winchester Extreme Weathers came out . That rifle would have taken a good 100 deer between back here at home & while working in Oz ,it is still my favorite Sambar or thick bush caliber (which they were very sought after for when l was there) & was a really good game performer with the bullets l used, with beautiful mushroomed projectiles from recovered bullets , but l have always been a believer in not using heavy for caliber bullet weights in all my hunting guns for light skinned game like we hunt here . For most of our game here l would just use the 185gn Core-Lokt bullet pushed along at around 2950fps or the 200gn Speer Hot Cor doing just over 2900fps & never had any but bang flops ,but l also favor aiming to punch through to the off shoulder for most of my hunt shots , so maybe Greg did not (l respect greg's knowledge though ,l ran one of his 338Edges for a few years when l had the LR hunting bug),like l say it always interesting how different people have different experiences with various calibers .

I put a lot of rounds through that gun on game all around the world in the 5 yrs l owned it & the only reason l sold it was the Kimber was way to pretty for the way l just treat my guns as tools not meant to be cotton wooled (my rifles always rode in the dash racks in Northern Oz & Africa not tucked away in case etc ) & get used as walking sticks, good old Kiwi bush bashers & snow depth measurers etc here .

I have owned a few rifles in various WSM over the years (still have a 270WSM & 300WSM ),but just my experience in the field & not as a steel/paper puncher, think the 325 WSM is the best hunting performer in the WSM line.

What are you chasing @Ranger 888 ? If you have just picked one up, l may have some cases etc floating around in the shed you can have if you want ,as l sold it to a Ozzy years ago who came over for a hunt & wanted it as his main Sambar gun & he left a bit of gear behind from memory ,but my Lil Bro may have ratted through it for another one of his hair brained ideas .
    Philipo and Moa Hunter like this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Might have an old school 8mm mauser lined up which leads me to what I have to say.
    Talked to a couple of old timers about the 8x57.
    Both said they worked well with the most recent saying it just used to smash them and dropped them where they stood.
    This was down Haast in the bush.
    Back in the 70s and 80s.
    If similiar projectiles used in the newer and probably gruntier 325 should work I would think.
    Maybe tougher projectiles not expanding properly?
    Not the same selection as the 30s

@csmiffy Yep nothing wrong with the old 8mm mauser l had a bit to do with them in both Africa & the tropics of Oz ,as soon as l saw that post about Old Hunting Rifles l immediately thought of a old Rigby one that a client used on a buffalo hunt it was a beautiful handling rifle that swung like a good quail gun ,it had been made for a Indian Prince.

I shot a bit of game with them over the years ,looking in the old load books for our hunt proven loads ,we had a lot of success with the 8mm in Oz for pig & goat bomb ups there was nothing wrong with the 8mm being loaded like the good old 06 & pushing out the 150gn Speer out at just under 3000 fps & l seen many women & kids use this load for PG as well ,as it was a mild load to shoot.

My favorite all-round load was the Barnes 180gn TSX getting pushed along at around 2650fps for all the Plains Game & in Oz it was devastating on culls of Brumbies, Scrubbers & Jesus Taxi's etc & the 200gn Woodleigh RNSN 200grn pushed along at just over 2500fps was devastating on everything l seen up to the Giraffe's & you have never seen anything as weird & hard for you brain to comprehend as a Skyscraper on legs being turned to jelly among the tree tops, when hit with good hunting loads like these .

Those loads would handle everything we hunt here from thick bush to open tops & IMO it would make a great thick bush hunting rifle for Reds etc ,hope you manage to grab it .
    csmiffy likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    I didnt know Ranger 888 could count to 325 , wonders never cease ... :-)
    Fair comment Muzza..not very nice, but fair comment!
    muzza likes this.

Son has X bolt in 325 wsm in Canada, it works well on deer ,elk, and bear using a 200 gr accubond at just under 2900 fps. Now there are better projectiles about I think they are one of the best wsm cartridges about, I also agree they would be about perfect for Sambar.